Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM

863 posts, read 2,109,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What network(s) is this happening on?

I have Cablevision and haven't had a single Spanish commercial come on the channels I watch.
It only appears on people's tv who do not believe in diversity or those that feel there should be no other language spoken in this country other than english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What network(s) is this happening on?

I have Cablevision and haven't had a single Spanish commercial come on the channels I watch.
Seems to be mostly History International (H2) and Chiller - I was watching most of those channels over the weekend and noticed commercials for ProActive and those pitchman ads in Spanish (ie "Ceramic kitchen knives for only $19.95, and if you call now, you get two for the price of 1!"). I found it really annoying and I understand Spanish perfectly.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM

414 posts, read 809,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
1. Why are you assuming they don't know the language. There is a difference between knowing and wanting to speak it. (I still say Americans are the only ones that can only speak one language and expects the rest of the world to speak that language)

2.Everyone talks about these people. CV and other companies don't have a problem taking their money so if you're upset send in your cable boxes back to CV and tell them you're done. You cannot be upset at the system and blaim the Washington. Corporate greed. Hispanic, Black, White whatever race you are your green is all good in the eyes of corporate america.

Not assuming anything. I live near a lot of hispanic folks, some know the language, a lot of them do not. Hard to have dealings with neighbors that do not understand you. I see it first hand every day, I have no need or desire to make this stuff up.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Btw....nice racist comment.
How is it racist?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,810,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Has anyone else had Spanish speaking commercials on their English speaking channels? It's been happening here lately and seems to be on the increase daily. If I want to hear Spanish, I will tune to a Spanish station. I already pay for those channels and can't understand one word of it so why is it being forced on me? BTW- with minimal tv watching today, my son counted 3.
this whole statement just spews racism and/or hatred towards latinos/hispanics.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
this whole statement just spews racism and/or hatred towards latinos/hispanics.
We come in all shades and colors. And guess what? CV broadcasting Spanish commercials on English stations ticks me off, too.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM

734 posts, read 1,637,884 times
Most of you just don't get it. And Taz- you are paranoid if you think this is racism. When there are no good arguments, pull the race card out. It's old, Taz. Save it for someone else.

I pay a premium price for cable TV. The English channels should be just that. The spanish channels should be just that. If I want to listen to a language I can't understand, I will turn to the spanish channels. I doubt that the spanish channels show english commercials. I would be just as annoyed if there were commercials in French, or German or any language I don't understand. This is not what I pay for!

My kids watched Sesame Street, my grandkids watch Dora, I buy them themed gifts like that, my son grew up with a best friend that was Hispanic. So you can all save the race claims and broad assumptions and try to comprehend why I am annoyed that what I pay for is not what I get anymore.

BTW-Add Channel 12 News to the list of spanish speaking commercial showings.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,810,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We come in all shades and colors. And guess what? CV broadcasting Spanish commercials on English stations ticks me off, too.

I dont like it much, either but its cablevision's decision to do it to attract more customers. look at those vonage commercials. ever notice that most of them have middle eastern actors? they are focusing on that particular demographic. its very strategic.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I dont like it much, either but its cablevision's decision to do it to attract more customers. look at those vonage commercials. ever notice that most of them have middle eastern actors? they are focusing on that particular demographic. its very strategic.
The difference being that the variety of ethnic people in the Vonage ads speak English with an accent while selling the Vonage product to everyone with family and friends in foreign countries.

CV offers services in a plethora of languages, yet for some reason they are compelled to target only ONE group in THEIR language on an English language station. What about the Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian, or Russian speakers?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The difference being that the variety of ethnic people in the Vonage ads speak English with an accent while selling the Vonage product to everyone with family and friends in foreign countries.

CV offers services in a plethora of languages, yet for some reason they are compelled to target only ONE group in THEIR language on an English language station. What about the Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian, or Russian speakers?
Yeah! They should make the commercials like a NYC transit notice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: