Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,504 times

Advertisements

I moved into a room of a house with my fiance while there were already a couple and their kid living here. We have a room that is in an additionally built part of the house. Come fall, we realize that our room has no heat. Our friends keep telling us that it is illegal for us to sleep in the room because it has no heat. A few weeks ago, we realized that the wall in our bedroom (an outside wall) is completely crumbling away at the bottom all the way down the wall. You can actually see dirt. Also, this room has completely unlevel floors to the point that you can physically see it. It has no door separating it from the basement stairs either. Is this room even legal to rent?

We have been sleeping in the basement, which we also want to check if it is legal or not. The landlord says it is illegal to sleep in the basement but there are 5 windows and 3 separate exits, two which go outside and one which goes to the main part of the house. The windows are not up to egress code, but with three exits, I figured that the windows don't matter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
Of course it's illegal!! I know it's hard but save your money and rent a LEGAL studio apartment somewhere. Most studios go for $750-$950 per month including utilities.

Good luck. The two of you are going to get sick staying in a place like that!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
If you have any other alternative, you should move. It sounds like you are in a dire situation having to stay in a place like that. I'm assuming that is all that you can afford. Have you been in touch with social services? They may be able to help.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,504 times
Default Question about legality of subletting a room

The main tenants of the house are a couple and their 4 year old. They just renewed their lease but I have been living here as a subtenant with my fiance for about 6 months now. We all live together. They have permission to rent part of the house to us but we never filed any official paperwork or signed anything.

My question is, they claim the landlord wants us to leave though we have done nothing wrong. I feel that it is mainly because we are complaining about our living conditions such as our room has no heat, the wall is crumbling away, etc. It is my understanding that only the main tenants on the lease can evict us. Since we do not have an official sublet lease and there is nothing mentioning it on last year's lease, if they did the proper court proceedings to evict us, would they themselves be up for eviction for illegally subletting without proper paperwork?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravendark View Post
The main tenants of the house are a couple and their 4 year old. They just renewed their lease but I have been living here as a subtenant with my fiance for about 6 months now. We all live together. They have permission to rent part of the house to us but we never filed any official paperwork or signed anything.

My question is, they claim the landlord wants us to leave though we have done nothing wrong. I feel that it is mainly because we are complaining about our living conditions such as our room has no heat, the wall is crumbling away, etc. It is my understanding that only the main tenants on the lease can evict us. Since we do not have an official sublet lease and there is nothing mentioning it on last year's lease, if they did the proper court proceedings to evict us, would they themselves be up for eviction for illegally subletting without proper paperwork?
That would be up to the landlord/owner of the house whether or not to evict them.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 23,049 times
Seeking help in what to do when there landlord is renting out illegal rooms with no permits

Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.Mike View Post
Seeking help in what to do when there landlord is renting out illegal rooms with no permits
Alright man, you posted in 5 different threads asking for help but you never bother to explain your situation. Why don't you open up a new thread and explain your predicament and people will try to assist you.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM

63 posts, read 222,678 times
As Judge Judy would say, "leave". You should not subject your self to an unsafe living environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island