Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I lived close by and travelled through it daily and it was a rough place. Hope it turned around.
It has only turned for the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
When are Venezuelan women going to move to the NY metro area in large numbers?
I know some. You looking for a date?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, it's not just a matter of perceptions, but also what happens in reality.

Take a neighborhood in Brooklyn like Canarsie. It went from mostly White to mostly Black. The crime rate decreased in almost every category (murder, assault, robbery, etc) by a significant amount, and yet you still have people talking about how crime has gone up and so on. At best, people will say that it's remained the same, but very few people will say it has improved as more Black people moved in, when in reality, that was the case.

I knew a White guy who lived in East Flatbush (Brooklyn) about 40-50 years ago or so when it was all-White. The crap him and his friends used to get into is probably the same crap (or worse) that Black kids in that neighborhood get into today. And yet a lot of people say that area has gotten worse, when I doubt that is really the case.

I heard that in Sunset Park (Brooklyn), it used to have a bunch of abandoned storefronts and a higher crime rate. Eventually, the Mexican population grew, and displaced some of the Puerto Ricans who lived there. It's Hispanics displacing other Hispanics, but it did help improve the neighborhood.

Here in SI, there were a few areas on the North Shore (Port Richmond & West New Brighton around Castleton Avenue), that used to be a mix of Whites, Blacks, and Puerto Ricans, and the crime rate was definitely higher than it is today, now that the Mexican population has grown. There are a bunch of stores serving the Mexican population in the area, whereas before, they were just vacant storefronts. I would definitely call that an improvement.
Did you know that many of the Mexicans that tend to move to the NYC area are from a part of Mexico that has strong values and less crime? The Mexicans from the problem areas tend to move to the southwest.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
You know the first few pages of this tread started off great, then the I hate anything Spanish/Hispanic or sounding like jumped in. The op was simply stating a point that some of these families are looking for a better way of life these town will change as their kids go to school and become more American. It always takes a few generations to be able to break from the norm. Someone mentioned the conservative/Catholic voting record of the Hispanic community and that too changed this election and will continue to change. The point is people think what you want of them they are here and they have realized you affect change by voting and they are voting. Their kids will improve on this generation and try to do better and so will their kids like many immigrants before them, so get over it.
I do not see upwardly mobile hispanic families being attracted to live in these areas. They're just too bad.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,690,276 times
No one...and I mean no one people or ethnic group makes it by themselves. Nice read -
http://www.stonybrook.edu/workingcla....4_Clayman.pdf

Many of the people who moved to Long Island came from the city’s many ethnic neighborhoods. One of
the largest ethnic groups to move to Long Island from the five boroughs were Italian-Americans.......The population explosion of the 50’s and 60’s led to a demand for government services. Providing
services, especially by county and local government, meant creating jobs. On Long Island, the Civil
Service Commission handled all county jobs. The commission was made up of part-time political
appointees who ruled on the job applications. Job applications were processed by an Executive
Secretary who was appointed by the county executive but could be fired by the commission [Quite ideal to have a last name with a vowel for last letter]. The executive secretary was also responsible for administering tests and day-to-day operations. Some municipalities like Long Beach, Hempstead and Glen Cove all had their own commissions. While state
statute called for mandatory testing and written specifications for civil service jobs, there was no
statutory requirement for municipal government to follow state civil service rules.
This is how it worked. If you wanted a job, you went to a party leader. Another way to get hired was to have a relative, who had the connections with the party, to get a job for you. Some of the family
members had the required job qualifications while others “got their posts because of family connections
and lacked the background that other applicants for the job would have needed. Nepotism crossed party lines. Getting a government job, particularly in Nassau County or one the towns and villages, came with a
price. As early as 1952, if you had a job with the town or city, the “rule of thumb” was to contribute one
percent of your annual salary to the Republican Party (the party was wooing Italians). According to Margiotta, this rule was seen “as an acceptable contribution from public employees. [SOUNDS LIKE TRIBUTE...KICKING IT UPSTAIRS] ...by collecting the one percent from people who got their jobs through the patronage system, reinforced the idea that what the machine gave, the machine could take away. Most people understood that politicians have long memories and that loyalty counted for something. There were complaints about the one percent rule. But many Long Islanders, even those who were not employed with any municipality, understood the system. They knew that if they wanted something from the town or county, they had to go to their election district committeeman. As one committeeman said , “People
come to me when they want a summer job for their kids, a pothole fixed in the streets, all kinds of
things.

Interesting how this group of Immigrants got a boost.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,782,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Look unless Columbus stole this country from your great, great, great great grand parents we are all here via immigration. I just met someone that told me when the iris were sent here they had to do a sanity check on them. If they felt like they were crazy or something like that they would send them back. We are all here as immigrants so I wish people would stop acting like they woke up here one day and did everything right. If you are upset get upset at your politician for not figuring a way to make them citizens so they have to work on the book and pay taxes. Don't give me they will still work under the table. It will force them to pay taxes and oh wait it will give them the opportunity to vote (say good bye to your favorite politician)
I love this ridiculous argument. What a crock. Yes my great, great grandparents came here generations ago, but they did so LEGALLY. I have no problem at all with LEGAL immigrants in this country, as a matter of fact I support reform, so much of the legal immigration red tape can be removed. Am I upset at politicians? You bet. Im upset at them for not actively enforcing immigration law and securing the border. Bottom line Republicans want them for cheap labor and Democrats want them for easy votes, period so nothing gets done. Path to citizenship? Great, lets reward law breakers and encourage more to join them and break the law. Great Idea.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I love this ridiculous argument. What a crock. Yes my great, great grandparents came here generations ago, but they did so LEGALLY. I have no problem at all with LEGAL immigrants in this country, as a matter of fact I support reform, so much of the legal immigration red tape can be removed. Am I upset at politicians? You bet. Im upset at them for not actively enforcing immigration law and securing the border. Bottom line Republicans want them for cheap labor and Democrats want them for easy votes, period so nothing gets done. Path to citizenship? Great, lets reward law breakers and encourage more to join them and break the law. Great Idea.
Same here!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Is that right? How come actual residents come on here and post about some positive experiences they have had there? Not everyone grew up in pleasantville. To many, and I mean many people in this country, let alone world, Wyandanch isn't that bad. I have no business over in those parts so a drive through is unnecessary.
Here, I'll save you a trip through Wyandanch

Juvenile - Ha - YouTube

Agree with you on Freeport, though. It has potential, and wouldn't be as bad if Roosevelt wasn't on top of it.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,998,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Here, I'll save you a trip through Wyandanch

Juvenile - Ha - YouTube

Agree with you on Freeport, though. It has potential, and wouldn't be as bad if Roosevelt wasn't on top of it.
Pretty much altough i didin't see a woman with 4 toddlers walking on the side walk with no shoes.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,137,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you know that many of the Mexicans that tend to move to the NYC area are from a part of Mexico that has strong values and less crime? The Mexicans from the problem areas tend to move to the southwest.
So then wouldn't it have the same impact out in Long Island if Mexicans moved out there in large numbers? It's in the NYC area. Maybe that's the solution. Bring on the Mexicans!

I was actually surprised to learn that a large percentage of the Hispanics on Long Island are Salvadoreans rather than Mexicans. (In fact, they outnumber Mexicans by a sizable amount). So it's the same thing here, just with a different group, and it depends on what type of attitudes they have as to whether it'll result in an improvement in the area or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island