Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times

Advertisements

So what are you guys going to do about it? Vote with your feet? Or keep paying?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So what are you guys going to do about it? Vote with your feet? Or keep paying?
I can't keep on paying... I'll never retire (which is in sharp contrast to the public pensions our property taxes are funding).

Besides, quality of life, which admittedly is a personal thing, is rock bottom for me here. I can positively affect this relo'g out of tax hell.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,781,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
No argument there...and that comes back to the Nimby dopes who think Kate Murray is doing swell keeping the future at arms length. Unfortunately the future is coming regardless (it's almost here). Move forward or get left behind. The status quo is failing across the country and LI is the poster child for it and will be the 1st domino to topple. It's all built on a growing (especially commercial) tax base and that foundation has crumbled. The residential tax base is coming down right behind it.
I think this could be a good thing. A crumbling tax base is the only way to FORCE change, painful change but necessary. Some people 'voting with their feet' or just simply voting obviously hasn't changed anything.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,098,417 times
NYer pay a high premium for mediocrity at best. The the public servants who WE pay for then start patting themselves on the shoulder like they invented the wheel

Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I think this could be a good thing. A crumbling tax base is the only way to FORCE change, painful change but necessary. Some people 'voting with their feet' or just simply voting obviously hasn't changed anything.
The politicians don't care. You don't like it, leave.... Go ahead and leave, you need to find a buyer for your house any way. Vote Democrat, vote Republican, it doesn't matter, they all spend like there was no tomorrow, cut deals with labor and appoint their idiot nephews as employees of LIPA or Suffolk County Parks Dept. It just doesn't matter any more.

In my book, the sooner I can leave, the more cash I can preserve. Stay another six months and that's six more months of very high property tax payments.

Hey, at least law enforcement will have new cruisers.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,002,153 times
Governor Malloy in Connecticut is doing some good things in his new budget which is mostly a balance of targeted tax increases, spending reductions and dissolving or combining of govt agencies and departments. Exactly the kind of thing LI needs. It is simple and puts money into critical infrastructure, business incentives ("first five" and some other ideas) and maintaining services. This is the best argument I could come up with for LI Statehood (silly, I know) but as long as NYS still sees us as a cash cow for the state and our politicians loot the rest, what chance do we have? Can't elect our way out all the way to Albany. The ones who represent LI all WANT to sit at the grown up table in Albany and bring their expertise fleecing LI'ers to Albany where they can really shine! We have no real representation....unless you need a lesson on installing your child's car seat or recycling light bulbs. Fiscal responsibility? Job creation? Balancing budgets (without borrowing into oblivion)? Assessments? Wayyyy over the heads of these clowns. New cruisers and $150k salary for that bastion of criminal enterprise and killing fields...Suffolk County. Unreal.

I'd like to vote with my feet but they put a lien on my shoes. The day my kid goes to college we will share the same moving truck! If my wife still chooses to stay...best of luck to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island