Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM

59 posts, read 170,908 times

Advertisements

Two trees in my front yard felled down. One on my neighbours's car, one on my neighbour's roof.
Shall I be responsible?
Will the city (north hempster) remove it, or I need to call the company myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,198,137 times
Check with your home owners insurance to see what you're covered for and give your agent a call first.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 PM

22,774 posts, read 37,176,123 times
No you aren't responsible. If your car was picked up in the hurricane and deposited on your neighbor's house, would you be responsible?

Insurance considers this an "act of God" - their insurance will cover it.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,989,722 times
Tree downed wires. Is LIPA the first responders or tree people? Or does LIPA bring their own cutting equipment just to get through it first? Then our own tree people after? Actually it's the neighbors tree which came down into the wires and into our backyard so im not calling my insurance to ask. half the tree is still in their yard so they should be the ones to act correct? They aren't home last I checked.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 PM

783 posts, read 1,440,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No you aren't responsible. If your car was picked up in the hurricane and deposited on your neighbor's house, would you be responsible?

If the neighbor's tree fell into my yard and the tree lays on both properties, who is responsible for the removal of the tree? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,563,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Maybe so but I wouldn't ignore it. Yes insurance will most likely cover some of it but as human beings we have an obligation to be decent. I would make an effort to go to my neighbors and work it our whether it's through insurance companies or not. At the very least you should help your neighbors out if something of yours damages something of theirs.

An "Act of God" is not an excuse not to be a decent person.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM

22,774 posts, read 37,176,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Maybe so but I wouldn't ignore it. Yes insurance will most likely cover some of it but as human beings we have an obligation to be decent. I would make an effort to go to my neighbors and work it our whether it's through insurance companies or not. At the very least you should help your neighbors out if something of yours damages something of theirs.

An "Act of God" is not an excuse not to be a decent person.
I agree. I was answering the question asked, (I know, it's unheard of on C-D) not giving my own personal opinion. I don't know what else the OP is dealing with at the moment, and you probably don't either.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
If the neighbor's tree fell into my yard and the tree lays on both properties, who is responsible for the removal of the tree? Thanks.
I just called my insurance company and they said even though the tree is theirs and it falls into our yard with half still being in their yard, we are responsible for the removal of our side. And our insurance only covers a claim if there's damage. Debris removal isn't included if there's no damage done (claim put in). Deductible is $1000 anyway.

Basically, if it's half still in their property and half in yours, see if they're paying for the whole thing first. If not you'll have to work something out with them (the neighbors). No legal ground if they won't do anything for your side even if it's the same tree. Our neighbors haven't so much as ring our doorbell to see if we're ok.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-31-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM

UPDATE: called LIPA and they're saying for downed wires entagled in trees as long as you notified them of the downed wires they are coming around with tree-cutting crews and their priority is getting the power restored. What remains of the tree will be your responsibility although she also said some towns are sending in crews to clean up the trees. Who knows until told for sure by the town.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 AM

783 posts, read 1,440,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I just called my insurance company and they said even though the tree is theirs and it falls into our yard with half still being in their yard, we are responsible for the removal of our side. And our insurance only covers a claim if there's damage. Debris removal isn't included if there's no damage done (claim put in). Deductible is $1000 anyway.

Basically, if it's half still in their property and half in yours, see if they're paying for the whole thing first. If not you'll have to work something out with them (the neighbors). No legal ground if they won't do anything for your side even if it's the same tree. Our neighbors haven't so much as ring our doorbell to see if we're ok.
Thank very much for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island