Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,804,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Bottom line is that when there are so many stop signs -- and many of them useless stop signs -- the public tends to disregard them.

But, how are stop signs "useless"? Most of them are in neighborhoods where there are a lot of children or hidden corners.
I agree with that poster - there are some villages here on LI that have street signs on both sides of the street and many motorists find it unnecessary. A few blocks from me, some wayward special needs child was injured on a street corner in the mid 90s which caused the local residents to lobby for Stop signs being placed on EVERY street corner in that nook and it is nothing but a pain to have cars clogging up roads leading to or from a busy intersection because each car is stopped in traffic just to adhere to the double Stop signs even though the street they are perpendicular is a dead end street.

And I know this is un-PC and unpopular to say around these kid-friendly boards, but frankly those kids who are playing on the streets simply should NOT be there. Streets and roads are meant for cars, not playing children. Thats what parks and playgrounds are for.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM

128 posts, read 219,493 times
STOP signs are meaningless to these arrogant drivers! As always, the innocent ones are getting hurt by this behavior. How many people have to be mowed down before they get it???? Yet sadly, they won't change their attitudes which would lead to maybe changing this behavior.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,287,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasshoreloser View Post
not sure what a "california" stop is
You may not be aware, but there's this new thing called "Google" where you can look things up that you haven't heard of before.

Quote:
am sure that a complete stop is required in NYS. I'm not a traffic cop and don't feel the cops should be staking out stop signs. the video was shot right in front of the home of the young child who can't even get a break getting on his bus. the whole point is the lack of RESPECT for others a majority of the residents of this neighborhood have for each other. but I guess thats an idea you can't grasp. whats YOUR point? that this is accepted behavior?
I get it, you're one of those "if it's law it must be right" people. It's also "required" to not go above 55 at any time on any road here, maybe you should make some angry home movies about people going 60mph on the parkway.

At an intersection where there's clear visibility on all sides, there is nothing unsafe about a California stop. Further, people California stopping have nothing to do with the idiot(s) who pass a stopped school bus with its lights on, which should be punishable by on-the-spot license suspension as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
P.S. My child was once struck by a car rolling thru a stop sign. it didn't matter to her the car wasn't travelling that fast, if the driver had bombed it she would have been killed instead of seriously injured
I feel like you're making this up in an attempt to prop up your argument, but if you aren't, you should've taught your kid to look both ways. There's no reason to get hit by a car going 3mph unless you aren't paying attention

Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,102,327 times
I roll through stop signs all the time. The cards work. Tickets are for only those who don't know the right people.

Sorry, if you dont like how I drive. You and the police cant/wont do a thing about it.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I roll through stop signs all the time. The cards work. Tickets are for only those who don't know the right people.

Sorry, if you dont like how I drive. You and the police cant/wont do a thing about it.

all someone has to do is read all your post to see what a pleasant person you are. have a nice day

Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,906,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I agree with that poster - there are some villages here on LI that have street signs on both sides of the street and many motorists find it unnecessary. A few blocks from me, some wayward special needs child was injured on a street corner in the mid 90s which caused the local residents to lobby for Stop signs being placed on EVERY street corner in that nook and it is nothing but a pain to have cars clogging up roads leading to or from a busy intersection because each car is stopped in traffic just to adhere to the double Stop signs even though the street they are perpendicular is a dead end street.

And I know this is un-PC and unpopular to say around these kid-friendly boards, but frankly those kids who are playing on the streets simply should NOT be there. Streets and roads are meant for cars, not playing children. Thats what parks and playgrounds are for.
Most parents do not allow their children to play in the streets. Random, unplanned things do happen -- a child chasing a ball -- and the motorist must be prepared to stop. I lived on a road which was a cut through and people would race down the street. We had STOP signs installed every other street. It helped slow the traffic down to the legal speed limit.

The biggest problem is that people do not obey posted speed limits and are in a big hurry to get wherever it is that they are going. Rolling through or blowing past STOP signs is indicative of this. If everyone were to come to a full stop where indicated and continue down the lane not exceeding the posted speed limit, there would be fewer stop signs.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM
s13

Quote:
Its obvious you DON"T "GET IT". "IT" is about have respect for each other and the neighborhood you live in. "IT" is aboutnot being so selfish you won't even wait for a school bus. the video was shot right at the intersection these same people are blowing by the school bus.
You're right, in this context I don't "get it." I "don't get" how going 3mph through a stop sign denotes a lack of respect for anyone. I "don't get" how going 3mph through a stop sign can in any way be equated with passing a stopped school bus. Lastly, I "don't get" why you didn't post a video of these same people passing a stopped school bus, as you alleged in your post. Could be that you're grossly exaggerating, or making this up altogether, but... nah, that's crazy talk!

Quote:
If you can't be bothered to stop or obey a sign I bet your a pleasure to deal with in any other setting.
You bet my a pleasure what? English please.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM

159 posts, read 412,288 times
This is not exclusive to massapequa. Take a trip to floral park or franklin square or Mineola. I'm pretty sure the most stop signs are in Mineola.

Everyone has rolled thru them at one time or another. Not saying it's right its just reality. It happens. It's amazing how less stressful it is to get somewhere on time and without blowing stop signs and no turn on red signs if we all just try harder to leave your house 4 minutes earlier to get where you are going.

Regardless and unfortunately there are many people like S13 and 30to out there that will purposely blow them off anyhow.

Last edited by yoelmo; 10-25-2012 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelmo View Post
Regardless and unfortunately there are many people like S13 and 30to out there that will purposely blow them off anyhow.
The palm is meeting the face. You're out of your element, Donnie.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM

8,833 posts, read 21,390,150 times
I'm not sure what you mean by a "California stop". I lived in Northern California & you would definitely get a ticket if you did not come to a full stop at a stop sign or even when you made a right turn on red.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island