Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM

36 posts, read 142,315 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have recently purchased (first time home buyer) out in Stony Brook after renting in Commack for the last year. My wife, son, and I love LI and look forward to living our lives here. We are originally from Westchester so there are a few things we have to get use to. I have been using this site a lot for info and finally decided to sign up.

My First questions of Im sure many to come on this site are about property lines.

- Is it customary to offer to cut limbs from trees on your property that hang over your fence to your neighbors yard, and expect them to return the favor? I would like to clean up the property a bit and extra limbs need to go.

- How far from the curb are you required to keep your fence or permanent structures for utilities? Also are there waivers or fines for not following guidelines even if its your own property to the curb? I am on a corner lot and would like to expand a foot or two my fenced in yard space which is about 7-10ft from the curb currently.

- Lastly does anyone have any tips or advice for a first time home buyer on Long Island? I would love to hear anything and everything you folks have to offer.

Thank you in advance for any responses and I look forward to chatting with all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudveteranusa View Post
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased (first time home buyer) out in Stony Brook after renting in Commack for the last year. My wife, son, and I love LI and look forward to living our lives here. We are originally from Westchester so there are a few things we have to get use to. I have been using this site a lot for info and finally decided to sign up.

My First questions of Im sure many to come on this site are about property lines.

- Is it customary to offer to cut limbs from trees on your property that hang over your fence to your neighbors yard, and expect them to return the favor? I would like to clean up the property a bit and extra limbs need to go.

- How far from the curb are you required to keep your fence or permanent structures for utilities? Also are there waivers or fines for not following guidelines even if its your own property to the curb? I am on a corner lot and would like to expand a foot or two my fenced in yard space which is about 7-10ft from the curb currently.

- Lastly does anyone have any tips or advice for a first time home buyer on Long Island? I would love to hear anything and everything you folks have to offer.

Thank you in advance for any responses and I look forward to chatting with all of you.
Welcome new neighbor!
You can trim whatever hangs over into your yard but your neighbor might not be as receptive/responsive.

There are specific setbacks and fence heights for corner lots. Brookhaven will make you remove a fence which does not comply, so that extra foot or two you try to gain could wind up an expensive and temporary situation. I know it stinks especially when a corner lot's rear yard is smaller to begin with. The first 3' of your yard is town and utility right of way.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:01 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Mazel tov on your purchase and welcome to our 'hood! LI is an amazing place to live- I hope you love it here as much as I do Most of us are very friendly so ask away any question you might have.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
O is indeed correct on the fence but check the town to see the specifics in the event you have the ability to move it from its current location, you don't want to have to remove it for the sake of a few inches in the wrong direction, if it is not already where it belongs.

Regarding the limbs. It is your tree and if you choose to cut it down down the law is on your side. That said, some neighbors become attached to your tree for shade, or covering up a view of say, a shed, for example and even though it is your tree and your right to trim, they can become angry or at least upset if you trim it. I would ring the bell and tell them you are going to be doing so trimming and would like permission to enter their yard to clean up after you trim. See what the reaction is and you will be better able to judge how to proceed. Every neighbor is unique and some will return the favor while others won't.

Long Island has a lot to offer, the local library offers free passes to a variety of different things on LI and in the city. For Example, Cradle of Aviation museum, Intrepid, to name just two.

Enjoy L.I>

Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
You have my favorite library, The Emma Clark right on Main Street next to the school. I wish I were there right now. You will be very happy in Stony Brook ; it's a unique and wonderful town.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM

36 posts, read 142,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Welcome new neighbor!
You can trim whatever hangs over into your yard but your neighbor might not be as receptive/responsive.

There are specific setbacks and fence heights for corner lots. Brookhaven will make you remove a fence which does not comply, so that extra foot or two you try to gain could wind up an expensive and temporary situation. I know it stinks especially when a corner lot's rear yard is smaller to begin with. The first 3' of your yard is town and utility right of way.
I will check with the town, but what office/dept would handle questions like that? Is 3ft usually the norm from the curb? It stinks that its my own property but yet I cant do anything with it.

Also just wanted to thank everyone for the quick and welcoming responses. I can see this site will be great for information.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
I will check with the town, but what office/dept would handle questions like that? Is 3ft usually the norm from the curb? It stinks that its my own property but yet I cant do anything with it.
It does stink, no argument there.

Quote:
Also just wanted to thank everyone for the quick and welcoming responses. I can see this site will be great for information.
Broookhaven has a central number you can use: 451-TOWN

Quote:
SS85-57 of Brookhaven Code:
premises.
(4)
Fences. No fence may be erected having a height greater than four feet from the ground, except as follows:
(a)
Where a residence has been erected, a six-foot fence may be erected in the rear yard, provided that, if it is on an interior lot, said six-foot fence may be erected in the rear yard to extend along the rear lot line and along the side lot lines to a point not forward of the front foundation line of the residence, and thence from said lot lines to the front point of said foundation; on a corner lot, a six-foot fence may be erected in the rear yard to extend along the rear lot line and along the side lot lines, except that no such fence shall project closer to the street fronting on a side yard than the width of the required side yard or the front foundation line, whichever shall be further from the street; and on a through lot, a six-foot fence may be erected in the rear yard along the two side lot lines, but not closer to the street adjacent to rear of premises than 40 feet. Notwithstanding the foregoing, on corner lots, fences not exceeding six feet in height may be located not closer than eight feet to the front yard line, providing the applicant demonstrates, to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of the Department of Planning, Environment and Development, that said fence will not interfere with vehicular traffic sight visibility. In such event, said fence shall be considered a structure requiring a building permit. All such fences shall comply with the site visibility requirements of this Code.
(b)
If such fence shall be erected along any street, the permitted height thereof shall be measured from the existing elevation of the center line of such street opposite such fence, unless such fence is of open woven wire or other such design as will not obstruct sight visibility. Such height so measured shall not exceed 2 1/2 feet in any point within a radius of 30 feet of the corner formed by any intersecting streets. The provisions hereof shall also apply to hedges or any other densely growing shrubbery.
This will give you an idea, but check with the Town to be 100% certain.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM

344 posts, read 717,634 times
Quote:
Be thankful. In the Town of North Hempstead you can't put up any fence between the street and the front of your house, are limited to 5 ft. along the side property lines, 6 ft. along the rear property line, and only 4 ft. on anything not on the property line and behind the front of your house.

that is some ish, I tell you

Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

147 posts, read 543,571 times
What if its a tall large tree with overhanging limbs and branches about 2 or 3 stories high but the tree is on the neighbors property? If I want to cut back the limbs and branches but my neighbor says no they don't want me on their property, am I out of luck? Is there a way to cut limbs and branches that high up without going onto my neighbors property?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,573 times
quote:I will check with the town, but what office/dept would handle questions like that? Is 3ft usually the norm from the curb? It stinks that its my own property but yet I cant do anything with it

google up the town's web page it should answer most of your questions,some replys here on city data have been known to be inacurate.JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island