Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM

168 posts, read 290,404 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could recommend me a pseudo-quiet (quiet in NY is a complicated term) public beach (no fee) in the north shore (Nassau if possible) to take a kid to play with the sand, instead of going to the typical kid park... any nice spot accessible to the populi?

(yes, in the Fall... with a coat)

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times
Try Bar Beach in Port Washington, it's on West Shore Road - has a playground for the kids, and there's no fee at this time of year (at least there didn't used to be). Also good is Theodore Roosevelt Park/beach in Oyster Bay.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM

46 posts, read 108,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipogrito View Post
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could recommend me a pseudo-quiet (quiet in NY is a complicated term) public beach (no fee) in the north shore (Nassau if possible) to take a kid to play with the sand, instead of going to the typical kid park... any nice spot accessible to the populi?

(yes, in the Fall... with a coat)

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
What part of the north shore are you closer to? there are a couple of beaches in the glen cove, sea cliff area that i would recommend, but they are only free for residents of the areas.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 AM

168 posts, read 290,404 times
Hi,

Thanks!

We are in the between north and south... Mineola... but I guess that South is more like Jones or Long Beach... and we were thinking more about a smaller and quieter one....

regards
Hipo

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM

46 posts, read 108,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipogrito View Post
Hi,

Thanks!

We are in the between north and south... Mineola... but I guess that South is more like Jones or Long Beach... and we were thinking more about a smaller and quieter one....

regards
Hipo
found this website ... might be of use to you

Beaches in Glen Cove Landing, NY - Scout.me

Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times
North Shore beaches are too rocky- the sand is better on the south, especially for kids.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM

But the water is not. A child can sit and play at the water's edge at a north shore beach with less worry about wave action.

But not even married and you're an expert of kids now too, eh?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 AM

745 posts, read 1,506,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
But the water is not. A child can sit and play at the water's edge at a north shore beach with less worry about wave action.

But not even married and you're an expert of kids now too, eh?
I doubt the OP is letting his kid at the water's edge mid-October, no? For sand the south shore beaches would be your best bet, and you can sit far from the water if you're so inclined.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Well, first of all HE ASKED FOR NORTH SHORE BEACHES. But this is the LI forum so everything is an argument right? I mean, everyone knows what he REALLY wants better than him.

Second, my ILs took my kids every single week (barring snow or rain) to Bar Beach in P.W. in the fall and winter. They actually CAN go to the water's edge and play, as long as you are inclined to change them if they get wet. Why not? Yeah, it's probably better to sit them in front of Sesame Street and watch Elmo's Trip to the Beach instead. God forbid any kid should get dirty or wet - or COLD!! - while they play!!!

There actually IS sand on the north shore beaches for God's sake. It's not a rock quarry.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 AM

745 posts, read 1,506,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well, first of all HE ASKED FOR NORTH SHORE BEACHES. But this is the LI forum so everything is an argument right? I mean, everyone knows what he REALLY wants better than him.

Second, my ILs took my kids every single week (barring snow or rain) to Bar Beach in P.W. in the fall and winter. They actually CAN go to the water's edge and play, as long as you are inclined to change them if they get wet. Why not? Yeah, it's probably better to sit them in front of Sesame Street and watch Elmo's Trip to the Beach instead. God forbid any kid should get dirty or wet - or COLD!! - while they play!!!

There actually IS sand on the north shore beaches for God's sake. It's not a rock quarry.
Wow, don't need to be so testy. I know you are in wonderful Carolina and are not subject to our lovely weather in NY but it is chilly today and a kid getting wet would mean leaving the beach pretty quickly, or ruining the fun by going right to the car to change. I don't see how stating a kid would be too cold if they got all wet would -GASP!- mean they are sitting their little azzes in front of tv all day.

And ANY north shore beach I've been to has a negligible amount of sand. If you wanted to skip rocks, however....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island