Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,081,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So you're upset the cable company is no longer happy with people recording stuff with a VCR (Who has one of these in 2012??)
I used a DVD recorder.

Quote:
and are trying to get people to get a company-provided DVR? Can you fault them?
But shouldn't I be upset that they are expecting me to pay for something that would be free.

To look at it from my perspective: can you fault me for not being willing to pay for functionality that has been free since the late 70s?

And before you tell me to just suck it up and deal, remember that I have other options if Cablevision no longer meets my needs:

1. I can switch to Verizon Fios.
2. I can switch to satellite.
3. I can watch TV using a digital antenna.
4. I can drop cable completely, and watch TV through other sources (Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, etc).
5. I can drop cable completely, and just not watch TV anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
Not what you want to hear, but the DVR is simply a great feature to have, and the cost of it is well worth the cost. Pause live TV, record 2 shows at one, time shift shows. So many people that I know that refused to get it, when they eventually caved, wondered how they every watched TV without one.
But not all of us have an unlimited supply of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
does your remote have a green DVR button?If not go to your optimum account on line and it will show you how to order a new remote and they will send it by mail to you.You should have received an email telling you this.
I do have the green DVR button. How is that supposed to help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
Not what you want to hear, but the DVR is simply a great feature to have, and the cost of it is well worth the cost. Pause live TV, record 2 shows at one, time shift shows. So many people that I know that refused to get it, when they eventually caved, wondered how they every watched TV without one.
Let me make an analogy. Suppose you drive a Chevy, since you can't afford a Cadillac. Someone else says that once they drive a Cadillac, they said that they would never go back to driving a Chevy. That doesn't help you to be able to afford a Chevy.

Now, suppose that GM decided to stop making Chevys, and decided to only make Cadillacs. And, they decided that by a certain date, all Chevy owners must turn in their Chevy, and buy a Cadillac at full price. Wouldn't you be angry? And wouldn't that make you want to switch to Ford, Chrysler, or a foreign car?

In any case, Cablevision did cave in and give me free DVR Plus service, since I was ready to switch to FIOS.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,752 times
No reason to settle for just a year! They took away your service without notifying you and you are entitled to be accommodated until they restore it. If they choose not to restore it then there should be no limit to the time-frame of any free DVR service provided as a substitute.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,925,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Let me make an analogy. Suppose you drive a Chevy, since you can't afford a Cadillac. Someone else says that once they drive a Cadillac, they said that they would never go back to driving a Chevy. That doesn't help you to be able to afford a Chevy.

Actually the price I pay is less because I combine packages. It is important to know how the negotiate when you are adding things up. I have Verizon Four-Plex combining TV with Prem Chanels, Home Phone, Cell Phone, and Internet with Boost.

For many years had Cablevsion, switched to Verizon when it came available in my area. Last year when we had the power outage due the the September hurricane. After one week living on a generator, needed to access the internet. Had Cablevision install internet + boost, telephone and TV. Another week goes by before the power came back on.

Immediately the Grandparents start complaining about the TV, they couldn't find to channels they previously watch on Verizon. Next between my wife started; she didn't like the TV guide channel, because it had limited information. Next my son started complaining that his websites were blocked.

I looked up on Cablevision's website that say's they are a managed network. Reading the fine print, ...implementing filtering and spam detection techniques to manage reliable email sources and mitigate spam; and (iii) allocating a fixed maximum amount of bandwidth to non-subscribers for the peer-to-peer upload of Subscriber files (during peak periods only). Cablevision also employs certain automated processes to more evenly distribute the available bandwidth to users...... This tells me they are blocking websites.

I go on my computer; was shocked after it checked my internet speed. I was paying for 50Mbps, only getting 7.5Mps. I also kept on getting "failure to connect to sever" screens. I called Cablevision asking why they were blocking websites, their excuse was "the busiest time is in the evening when more traffic is on the network". The main reason why I pay extra for cable boost I needed bandwidth for video conferences sometimes with my clients here in America, and a few times overseas. Also I am IT Tech, doing online repairs on remote computers.

I was really pissed because how Cablevision oversells it's outdated product.

Cable is old technology, Verizon with fiber optic is much better. FiOS potentially offers a lot more bandwidth, better signal resulting in clearly screen. The difference between the internet speed is like comparing a bicycle to a rocket.

Oh relating to the topic... I love free FIOS DVD recorder - select the show you want, recording one show or the series. Any commercials, just click to fast forward...

My $00.02

Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Cablevision's Facebook page (now under "OPTIMUM") is the perfect place to call them out on this kind of stuff. Check out the comments from other VCR and DVD Recorder users who are outraged by this shakedown. There is a link to a petition that you can sign online. I understand that they are giving free DVR Service to people who complain vigorously about the elimination of the VCR Timers feature. Make them listen to you!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 AM

By the way, I have written to Senator Schumer, filed a complaint with the NY BBB, have posted on Yelp and Complaints.com and Ripoff Report. I am next going to the Office of the Atty General and Department of Consumer Protection. Then it's on to WPIX 's Help Me Howard, Fox 5"s Arnold Diaz Shame on You and ABC 7 on Your Side. By Occupying Cablevision completely I am 100% committed to making this the MOST EXPENSIVE mistake Cablevision has ever made.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj s View Post
By the way, I have written to Senator Schumer, filed a complaint with the NY BBB, have posted on Yelp and Complaints.com and Ripoff Report. I am next going to the Office of the Atty General and Department of Consumer Protection. Then it's on to WPIX 's Help Me Howard, Fox 5"s Arnold Diaz Shame on You and ABC 7 on Your Side. By Occupying Cablevision completely I am 100% committed to making this the MOST EXPENSIVE mistake Cablevision has ever made.
Good for you! I am glad that someone is willing to stand up for himself, and not just be a doormat. I hope this works out!

By the way, I wouldn't have bothered with Schumer. He doesn't care about the middle class at all. He only cares about the super-rich who don't even notice the change in service, and the super-poor that can't afford any cable service at all.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj s View Post
Cablevision's Facebook page (now under "OPTIMUM") is the perfect place to call them out on this kind of stuff. Check out the comments from other VCR and DVD Recorder users who are outraged by this shakedown. There is a link to a petition that you can sign online. I understand that they are giving free DVR Service to people who complain vigorously about the elimination of the VCR Timers feature. Make them listen to you!
How do I get to that page? I searched on Optimum, and can't find it. I admit I'm not too skilled with Facebook (I can't stand Facebook, to be honest).

Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Facebook and Petition

Sorry for the delayed reply! Still working on Cable. Have not been able to get through to their disconnect line. despite numerous attemts: they say they have been so busy with the storm issues. But I am still determined and will pursue this to the end!

BTW I did get a call from their corporate office in response to my Better Business Bureau complaint. The rep admitted that the VCR Timers feature had been "IN ADVERTENTLY REMOVED" and assured me that it would be restored at a future (undetermined) time. To that I replied "then if you intend to restore it I'm sure you won't mind providing my household with a complimentary DVR in the meantime. What will it cost? You can set it up in minutes using my existing boxes. Say it takes you 3 months to restore the VCR Timers, what does it cost you to give me what I'm asking for and fully entitled to, certainly. $33?" Their answer? "NO." To which I replied "So you admit your company screwed up, screwed a long-time paying customer, and still expect me to believe that some distant day in the future I'll get my service restored but won't actually DO ANYTHING. Get this, I swear tis is what he said "THAT IS CORRECT." I filed the Department of Consumer Protection complaint the same day. Next up, the TV News Consumer Reporters: Help Me Howard, Shame on You and Seven on Your Side. At this point it's no work at all because I just copy and paste the complaint on all the sites!

Never have I EVER seen a company excel to such degree at alienating the very people to whom it owes is very existence.

Last, here's the link to the FB page and the petition, in case you are still interested. Hopefully the site will allow these to remain in place until you've seen them. If not, my "Occupy Cablevision" blog on Blogger has these and nother links for determined consumers.

https://www.facebook.com/Optimum

http://www.change.org/petitions/cablevision-optimum-bring-back-the-ability-to-program-recordings-to-an-external-dvd-player?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_camp aign=individual_signature_alert

Last edited by pj s; 11-15-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island