Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,057,288 times

Advertisements

I subscribe to Optimum TV, Optimum Online, and Optimum Phone. I recently tried downloading the Optimum App for Laptops. It says that my computer meets the requirements, and it installs. However, when I try to run it, I get the error message "A netowork connection is needed to use this app. Please check your connection and try again", and then the program just disapears. I am definitely connected to the internet, and I use a wireless router with a secure connection.

I t ried Optimum's e-mail support, phone support, and live chat support, but none have been able to resolve my problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Cablevision aks for my password as a next step, but I refuse to give them my password.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM

46 posts, read 108,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I subscribe to Optimum TV, Optimum Online, and Optimum Phone. I recently tried downloading the Optimum App for Laptops. It says that my computer meets the requirements, and it installs. However, when I try to run it, I get the error message "A netowork connection is needed to use this app. Please check your connection and try again", and then the program just disapears. I am definitely connected to the internet, and I use a wireless router with a secure connection.

I t ried Optimum's e-mail support, phone support, and live chat support, but none have been able to resolve my problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Cablevision aks for my password as a next step, but I refuse to give them my password.
Unfortunately Optimum needs the password to troubleshoot in the office to replicate the error. They do not have your password saved anywhere that can be read even by their network security, so the only options available to you is to give them your password, or have them reset the password for a few days for testing and have you change your password back when its fixed.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,059,870 times
Why would you refuse to give CV your password?????

If you are that scared that they are going to "do something" with your password then give it to them to resolve the issue and when it is resolved change your password.

I had to call CV once with a problem in regards to Optmum WiFi and I had to give them my password. No big deal

Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 AM

In the past, Cablevision has claimed that a Cablevision employee would never ask for your passoword, and that you should never give your password to a Cablevision employee. Also, how can giving them my password help? Unless they are at my house and physically sitting at my computer, they can't troubleshoot it.

Has anyone had this problem before? How did you fix it?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,059,870 times
Quote:
In the past, Cablevision has claimed that a Cablevision employee would never ask for your passoword, and that you should never give your password to a Cablevision employee. Also, how can giving them my password help? Unless they are at my house and physically sitting at my computer, they can't troubleshoot it.

I never had this exact problem, but again I once had to call CV with a WiFI issue. I did have to give them my password and the issue was fixed immediately.

I think what you are referring to is that no CV employee would call you asking for your password. Calling their tech dept. is another story altogether.

If you dont want to give your password out to them, then don't...but complaining about it here isn't going to get your situation resolved.

What are you looking for on this thread, someone to guide you through how to fix your problem??????

Old 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM

22,680 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:

Of course they can. At my last job the IT dept. was in a completely different state and the guy could take over my computer and fix things. When I had CV they did it once or twice. Are you sure they don't mean your router #?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM

I'm not interested in posts about whether or not you feel I should give out my password.

I am interested in whether or not anyone else had the same problem, and how you fixed it. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM

46 posts, read 108,415 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in posts about whether or not you feel I should give out my password.

I am interested in whether or not anyone else had the same problem, and how you fixed it. Thanks.
I'm sorry you're running in to problems with your Optimum TV app on your laptop. Id suggest trying to connect directly to your modem with an ethernet cable from the laptop to the modem. Once this physical connection is made you'll need to reboot both the modem and the computer for them to recognize eachother. Test your connection to the internet once they are both up and running to ensure you can online, then test the app again.

Again, the reason CV is asking for your password is so they can test in their work environment. This can be set up by the engineers (read tech savvy technicians) to emulate your account and modem. This would be done so they can test for, and correct any back end issues.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM

764 posts, read 1,554,712 times
Have you tried disabling your firewall and antivirus?

Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 PM

886 posts, read 2,648,926 times
The program isn't working on my laptop or my Ipad. They were fine yesterday. may be them. It has happened before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island