Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM

22 posts, read 39,018 times

Advertisements

In the areas mentioned here what would be a reasonable rental amount for a three bedroom house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Not all houses on Long Island have garages and if they do,not necessarily a 2 car garage or an attached garage. Many people tend to use their garages for storage and park their cars in the driveway.

Some winters, we have very little snow like last year, other years we can have several major snowstorms as we did the year before. You will certainly need to invest in basic snow removal equipment for the house and car. You will also need more warm weather clothing for your family. I am not sure what part of CA you come from, but in general, the school buildings here are not as new or as nice looking as in CA, but most of them are on a par if not better in terms of quality of the best public CA schools.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,014 times
Try the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island MLSLI.com

While it's not a very convenient site to use, if one has a map of the area around Bohemia one can search nearby communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procast View Post
My husband just got a job in Bohemia, Long Island and it looks like we will have to move there. I have never been to the East Coast before except to visit friends for a couple of days once. I have been living in California for the past 14 years. I have a 5 year old who just started school in a good school district.

1. How good are the public schools in Bohemia? Will moving to any other city nearby be better?
2. Will it be a problem to move school mid year? [Is the admission process smooth?]
3. I have been looking in craigslist for rentals and looks like most of the single family houses require a HUGE brokers fee. is that true? This is of course besides the fact that there are hardly any rentals.

Any tips advice comments will be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angevoss View Post
In the areas mentioned here what would be a reasonable rental amount for a three bedroom house?

Neither Oakdale nor Holbrook have 3-BR houses for rent at the moment.
Sayville has one for $2,350 and another for $2,500; Bohemia has one for $2,100. That's it!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Some other items "procast" should be aware of:
  • generally, homes don't have garbage disposals in the kitchen (possibly because many areas don't have sewers, only cesspools/septic tanks)
  • some whole house rentals include washer/dryers; some do not. Those that do not, don't always allow them
  • compared to the rest of the country, the housing market consists largely of "older" housing stock
Welcome to 1970!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Welcome to 1970!

It is what it is!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
The rental inventory for houses on LI sucks. I considered that option years ago and became so disgusted I just waited a few more years and bought a house.

You do not have to live in Bohemia because your husbands job is located there. There are surrounding areas within 30 minutes that are all worth looking into. Commuting East on Sunrise Highway on weekdays is about as smooth a commute as you can get on LI. You can look all the way out to Babylon and still be 30 minutes away.

That leaves parts of or all of the following good SD's open: West Islip, East Islip, Connetquot, Hauppauge, Sachem, Bayport/Bluepoint, Commack, Smithtown, Three Village..probably a few others too. Don't limit yourself to Bohemia...not that there's anything wrong with it, it's fine.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM

630 posts, read 2,227,195 times
I am from California (40+yrs) and have lived on LI for 5 yrs, there are some real differences between the East Coast and the West Coast. If you have any questions you can DM me and I'm more then happy to assist in anyway possible. The broker fees are usually equal to on months rent. I'm sure everyone here can help you with locations and other information, but if you want information on the differences I can help with that. Best Wishes to you and your family on your new adventure to LI.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 PM

596 posts, read 983,219 times
In general, the closer that you are to the water (either the ocean or the L.I. Sound) the higher the prices will be. Some of the towns surrounding Bohemia (e.g. Sayville, Islip, Port Jefferson) have nice main street areas (if that is important to you). Other towns in the area could be "Anywhere USA." The differences between many of the towns in this area can be very subtle, so there is no substitute for physically visiting the area and following your gut feeling. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 12,643 times
we also just moved to L.I. for hubby's work, although we both grew up in NYC, we know very little about LI...we decided to rent for a year just to see if we like it, if the kids will do better in school etc...we decided on Blue Point/Bayport area...i must say it is very nice,..although you do have to drive everywhere...im sure you can find something reasonable..good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island