Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Tom, can you tell me how much a title closer usually earns? I'd really like to know.
PayScale has their median salary around $36,000. No wonder they want a tip. Do one a day with $100 tip, that's another $25,000 or so of undeclared income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,086,262 times
Tom Moser: thank you for explaining this mystery to me which left me puzzled for well over a decade plus.

My attny asked me to bring $50 cash to the closing the two times I purchased property. Its not way overboard but it left me curious. Interesting some people here are asked to bring $150.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,689,173 times
Some one send this tread to the NY Atorney general

Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
Moderator cut: confrontational remarks removed

Although I am not in the habit of answering the questions of those who call me a liar and phony I guess I have to placate you or you'll go on with your stupid attacks.

If I recall, you asked how much a title closer makes. The answer is (wait for it) it varies. A previous poster quoted a median of $36,000. That sounds about right to me.

As you stated, it is NOT necessary to tip the title closer. It's also not necessary to tip your waitress, which, by your tone, I assume you also object to.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-26-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Tipping a waitress is done all over the world. Tipping the title closer is something I have only heard of on Long Island.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
That's true. They also don't use buyer and seller lawyers almost anywhere else other then downstate New York. A lot of things are done differently here. As I stated earlier, I believe it would be much better if it was classified as what it actually is: a fee. I'm not defending the practice, I'm just trying to educate people. For this, I put up with vicious personal attacks. It surprises me that, as a moderator, you allow them.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,665,649 times
I brought this question of the "title closer" to my neighbor who is an RE attorney. He told me even though I have not heard of the function they are present in some form at almost all RE closings on LI. It is very common for the buyer's attorney to explicitly ask the buyer to provide some sort of gratuity to the title closer or to list the "gratuity" on the list of costs provided to the buyer at closing as an "appearance fee". He also implied if the fee is not explicitly provided to the title closer by the buyer the buyer's attorney will provide it out of his fee - so one way or another the buyer will provide a gratuity to the title closer.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
It's about time I finally got an answer.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I brought this question of the "title closer" to my neighbor who is an RE attorney. He told me even though I have not heard of the function they are present in some form at almost all RE closings on LI. It is very common for the buyer's attorney to explicitly ask the buyer to provide some sort of gratuity to the title closer or to list the "gratuity" on the list of costs provided to the buyer at closing as an "appearance fee". He also implied if the fee is not explicitly provided to the title closer by the buyer the buyer's attorney will provide it out of his fee - so one way or another the buyer will provide a gratuity to the title closer.

Question is why do we have to tip someone already getting paid to do their job?
Waiters/waitresses dont count since their incomes are specfically based on performance.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,086,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Tipping a waitress is done all over the world. Tipping the title closer is something I have only heard of on Long Island.
tipping if not the norm all over the world. For example, in most restaurants in hong kong/china, tipping is NOT the norm. USA is the most out of control tipping culture that I am aware of.

I believe tipping the title closer extends to nyc as well. I could be wrong bc it happened to me with nyc closings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island