Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 09:30 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,684,023 times

Advertisements

http://washingtontimes.com/article/2...109300042/1001

Success or failure?

Would affordable homes be welcomed here today in he shadows of the McMansion?

Sadly I think not.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:42 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,117,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
1st U.S. suburb marks 60 years*-*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

Success or failure?

Would affordable homes be welcomed here today in he shadows of the McMansion?

Sadly I think not.

C

I think Levittown has done a great job of remaining attractive to young families. But if a new community like this went up, WHO would be moving in there and would things stay as good and SAFE as they have in Levittown?

On the news they interviewed a man who lived there since it went up. He said that they predicted Levittown would turn into a "slum" in one year after it opened. That was why they are proud to show how far they have come....but I wonder, why did they predict it would turn into a slum? Anyone know?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 09-30-2007 at 09:58 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 PM

240 posts, read 1,058,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I think Levittown has done a great job of remaining attractive to young families. But if a new community like this went up, WHO would be moving in there and would things stay as good and SAFE as they have in Levittown?

On the news they interviewed a man that lived there since it went up. He said that they predicted Levittown would turn into a "slum" in one year after it opened. That was why they are proud to show how far they have come....but I wonder, why did they predict it would turn into a slum? Anyone know?
The reason was because many people rented the homes at first and later bought them. The first Levittowners had low incomes and could barely afford the Levitt homes. It was predicted that many people would go into foreclosure and thus the community would deteriorate and turn into a slum. Apparently most people worked hard to keep their homes and even made improvements which further beautified the community.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:59 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,117,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
The reason was because many people rented the homes at first and later bought them. The first Levittowners had low incomes and could barely afford the Levitt homes. It was predicted that many people would go into foreclosure and thus the community would deteriorate and turn into a slum. Apparently most people worked hard to keep their homes and even made improvements which further beautified the community.

Thanks for the explanation. Good for Levittown.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,661,750 times
My friends brother just bought there and he is thinking about it, too. Very nice, expanded Levit house for $410K. I think there are a fair amt of young familes moving there since it's one of the more affordable and Island Trees is a good SD. I hope it keeps on.

Now, was this one of the first middle class areas built? Anyone knoe for sure. Contrary to people's belief, wasn't LI a playground for the weathly in the beginning?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,723,877 times
For those that may not be familiar with the geography of Levittown:

Levittown is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southeast part of Nassau County along the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line.

Beginning on its northern border and proceeding clockwise, the Hamlet of Levittown is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Hicksville and the Hamlet of Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay Town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of North Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line); on the south by the Hamlet of North Wantagh; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Meadow and the Hamlet of Salisbury (né South Westbury).

And, as occurs in all but one of Nassau County's 136 communities (2 cities, 64 villages and 70 hamlets), the Hamlet of Levittown has a different border than does the "Levittown, NY 11756" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Levittown mailing address and not be in Levittown and a place can be in Levittown and have other than a Levittown mailing address).

.......................................acres
.......Hamlet of Levittown.....4,621
.......Levittown, NY 11756....3,815

There are places in the Hamlet of Plainedge in the Town of Oyster Bay that have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address and simultaneously there are places in the Hamlet of Levittown that have a "Wantagh, NY 11793" or a "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address.

The Hamlet of Levittown, along with the Hamlet of North Wantagh, once comprised the area known in colonial times as Jerusalem.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,684,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
My friends brother just bought there and he is thinking about it, too. Very nice, expanded Levit house for $410K. I think there are a fair amt of young familes moving there since it's one of the more affordable and Island Trees is a good SD. I hope it keeps on.

Now, was this one of the first middle class areas built? Anyone knoe for sure. Contrary to people's belief, wasn't LI a playground for the weathly in the beginning?
"Americas First Suburb"

Hence the big deal.

LI was a playground for the Rich on the North Shore(Great Gatsby) and the Hamptons
The rest was Pine barrens and Potato Farms.

C

Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,160,221 times
Don't forget ducks, tulips and sod.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,522,652 times
There were other suburbs on Long Island (and the rest of the country) before Levittown, but it was the first to be built assembly line style and with the working class in mind - a model for most of the development that followed. I think a lot of the fears people had over it were the same fears people have now about affordable housing on the island, except replace Irish and Italians with Blacks and Hispanic.

Was it a success? I'd say definitely, maybe even too successful as some expanded Levitts are priced into the 600s now. I've definitely enjoyed living in this Levitt ranch for most of my life and was surrounded by a lot of interesting, creative people growing up. My only complaint is that I always wanted a basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island