Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 AM

50 posts, read 87,794 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance to all the forum posters who offer so much good advice. I'm a single woman, empty-nester who is looking to down size and need to stay here in Nassau County at least 8 more years until I can retire. I am putting my home on the market because I can no longer afford the taxes ($20K next year) in my excellent but no longer needed school district. It is a legal multi-family and I am also tired of the responsibilities of being a landlord and sharing my property with strangers.

So I hope to find a starter/down-sizing single family home ($300K - $350K) no condos/co-ops or town houses, I want a house all to myself with reasonable taxes ($8K-$10K) and looking for suggestions as to just where that might be. I grew up here on LI but only know towns and villages on the South Shore and would like to be closer to my job in Westbury so hopefully you can help me expand my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 AM

130 posts, read 385,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymacca View Post
Thanks in advance to all the forum posters who offer so much good advice. I'm a single woman, empty-nester who is looking to down size and need to stay here in Nassau County at least 8 more years until I can retire. I am putting my home on the market because I can no longer afford the taxes ($20K next year) in my excellent but no longer needed school district. It is a legal multi-family and I am also tired of the responsibilities of being a landlord and sharing my property with strangers.

So I hope to find a starter/down-sizing single family home ($300K - $350K) no condos/co-ops or town houses, I want a house all to myself with reasonable taxes ($8K-$10K) and looking for suggestions as to just where that might be. I grew up here on LI but only know towns and villages on the South Shore and would like to be closer to my job in Westbury so hopefully you can help me expand my search.
Try Levittown. Not sure about the taxes but you can definitely get a decent home in the $300k-$350k range. It's a decent area as well. A lot of people complain that there aren't any basements but if you want one just look in the Island Trees School District area. The drive to Westbury shouldn't be too bad. When I worked in Westbury on Old Country Road I used to take the Wantagh Parkway to Old Country Rd and it took me about 15/20 minutes.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,017,766 times
300-350,000 isn't going to buy much these days if you're not willing to put some work into the house. That's the tough part.

You're also going to want to live in an area where you feel comfortable as a single woman - probably a little bit younger than I since I'm closer to full retirement age. Everyone has their own comfort level.

You'll aslo want something that in 8 years time is not going to be a burden to sell when you want to escape LI.

I'm assuming you've looked at the tax consequences as well selling a rental property.

One thing is for sure - no matter where you go, your taxes are going to keep going up!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,201,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
300-350,000 isn't going to buy much these days if you're not willing to put some work into the house. That's the tough part.

I'm assuming you've looked at the tax consequences as well selling a rental property.

\!
Very good point!

And I agree about the limited choices in Nassau County in your preferred price range and RE tax limits.
Levittown taxes tend to be on the high side. Would you consider Hicksville?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM

15 posts, read 37,584 times
How about Mineola, Carle Place or Stewart Manor?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 PM

Maybe Mineola, but the selection is very limited, and you're looking at dated bathrooms, etc.
It's a possibility though

Old 07-14-2012, 03:16 PM

If you are really really serious about downsizing and can up your budget....what about a beach cottage co-op in Port Washington. They are year round residences. Taxes are dirt, quarterly assessments not bad.

They are safe, everybody knows you and watches out for you.... waterviews.. fairly quick to highways. Only 41 cottages.. well there are 40 now and one lot for sale.

For the most inexpensive housing... there are always the Port Washington houseboats.. until they get kicked out of the marina.

Couple of little cottages in Glenwood Landing and Sea Cliff with lowish taxes, they are under your budget, but need work.

As a single woman, I'm not liking Mineola very much for a sfh - but that is me.

Hicksville, as Elke suggested, is fairly decent - within your price range. Taxes are all over the place though from what I've seen.

Number one rule... location, location, location!!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
If you are really really serious about downsizing and can up your budget....what about a beach cottage co-op in Port Washington. They are year round residences. Taxes are dirt, quarterly assessments not bad.

Number one rule... location, location, location!!

The OP stated NO co-op, condo or townhouse - strictly freestanding single family...
Otherwise, there'd be a few more options...

Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The OP stated NO co-op, condo or townhouse - strictly freestanding single family...
Otherwise, there'd be a few more options...
She probably doesn't realize there IS such as thing as a freestanding co-op. Condos too. Just a different form of ownership.

I don't know if I would be so inclined to try to sell and buy something else if I'm looking to sell again in 8 years. Sell, yes, but I would probably rent until retirement.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
She probably doesn't realize there IS such as thing as a freestanding co-op. Condos too. Just a different form of ownership.

I don't know if I would be so inclined to try to sell and buy something else if I'm looking to sell again in 8 years. Sell, yes, but I would probably rent until retirement.
A co-op is a co-op = you own shares, not the property; so there are rules you have to live by, regardless of free-standing or attached. For some people it works (wouldn't work for me).

Selling in 8 years... Possibly a wash in terms of $$, but owning vs. renting--different people have different preferences. And as a tenant, the landlord can always tell you to pack and leave (with proper notice of course)...

And with regard to getting to and from her job in Westbury, not the best commute with the local roads IMHO (have friends in Port).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island