Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM

33 posts, read 59,701 times

Advertisements

and if taxes/PMI are deductible then thats not a monthly charge, its an annual charge. my parents make Gross $65,000 per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafickw12 View Post
and if taxes/PMI are deductible then thats not a monthly charge, its an annual charge. my parents make Gross $65,000 per year.
Your monthly house payment is comprised of mortgage principal, mortgage interest, property taxes and insurance...and PMI in certain instances.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:48 PM

so your saying even if these costs are tax deductible, i still have to pay them monthly?

Old 07-08-2012, 04:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,789,859 times
You need to educate yourself fully before you start searching for houses. Taxes are juts ONE part of your monthly payment, and if you choose to escrow them- you will be paying them every month...if you choose nOT to have the bank set up an escrow account on your behalf, you will be responsible for that 2-8K bill from the County and School District twice a year.

My general rule of thumb when evaluating affordability for a house is the 3x your annual income rule. For ex- if your total combined income is $120K the max you mortgage you can take out is $360k.(120K x3=360k). With that said, if your Max is $300K, I am assuming your total HH income is only $100K. A house worth 300K is going to be hard to find in Nassau County, even if you limit yourselves to the more affordable towns like Elmont, VS, Hempstead, etc because once taxes are factored in- your total monthly cost will be higher. How much of a downpayment will you be putting down?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:06 PM

since FHA only requires u to pay 3.5% so our maximum downpayment and closing costs should not exceed $20,000 (maximum downpayment is $11.000) im still a little confused regarding the taxes issues, i agree with you that taxes are part of the monthly payment but if you choose to pay them annually (out of your taxes) isnt it supposed to be taken yearly and not monthly?!

thank you.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:24 PM

22,695 posts, read 36,880,576 times
Quote:
since FHA only requires u to pay 3.5% so our maximum downpayment and closing costs should not exceed $20,000 (maximum downpayment is $11.000) im still a little confused regarding the taxes issues, i agree with you that taxes are part of the monthly payment but if you choose to pay them annually (out of your taxes) isnt it supposed to be taken yearly and not monthly?!

thank you.
When you take out a mortgage, your lender usually sets up an escrow account (some people don't have an escrow account, they pay taxes and HO insurance themselves). Out of this they pay your property taxes when they are due (usually twice a year) and your HO insurance.

So your lender pays these things, not you, and they are rolled into your monthly mortgage payment.

The amount escrowed into your monthly mortgage payment will be more than what you actually owe. Let's say your taxes are $11,000 and your HO insurance is $1,000. You would expect $1,000 a month to be added to your principal and interest, but they will figure in more. They need an overage in the escrow account for when your taxes and HO insurance increase.

You are putting the cart ahead of the horse asking to pay your property taxes out of your yearly tax refund. If you want to pay your property taxes yourself instead of having your lender do it, you need to work that out with them and they won't care where the money comes from as long as you pay. My guess is with an FHA loan that that is never going to be an option anyway.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,190,101 times
Just wondering, why isn't your agent explaining these things to you???

Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM

449 posts, read 1,134,223 times
Quote:
My family are thinking to move to Long Island and purchase a 3 bedrooms home/condo or townhouse, we would like to stay in nassau county more since it is generally close to NYC (queens) we have been pre-approved for an FHA loan up to 300K, i would like recommendations for which decent,safe and quiet neighborhoods in the county that at the same time have affordable housing prices.

Worst case scenario, we will consider Suffolk County if i can also get recommendations for neighborhoods with the same category i just mentioned.

Lastly, i need opinions regarding aread in LI like Valley Stream,Floral Park,Amityville,Massapequa and Riverhead.

I deeply appreciate it.
You do realize that Riverhead is WELL into Suffolk County? I recommend excluding it from your searches as it is also one of LI's more undesirable communities. Amityville is also in Suffolk but right on the border. Its a very quiet and beautiful community in the village of Amityville but North Amityville not so much...

Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Just wondering, why isn't your agent explaining these things to you???
Ummmm......cuz I didn't ask him!!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 PM

745 posts, read 1,506,828 times
Quote:
Ummmm......cuz I didn't ask him!!!!
Any reputable agent would explain that taxes are paid monthly even though they are deductible. They would have caught on that you didn't understand that.

Anyway,add Levittown to your search. You can definitely get a good home in your price range there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island