Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,190,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Thanks Walter

I jumped into this thread for the simple reason that Crooks puts too many towns on a pedestal - in this case specifically, Miller Place. MP is not upper middle class - not even close by my definition.

The areas you mention here (based on Crooks pulling them in) are small - period. Poquott and Old Field according to citydata has a pop. of about 900 each. That's a small development in the big picture and very well are "upper" - but contrast that to MP where it's > 12k population. I know you're partial to 3V for obvious reasons, but it's not upper middle class overall (it has pockets that are upper)... Another example is him throwing out Great River (which I know you know I know very well) as "old money"... Seriously?

It really comes down to what our personal definition of "upper" is... and in many ways it comes down to what others are saying about "income vs. wealth". Income and wealth are 2 very different things.

As I said to OBH, it comes down to what we define as "wealth" and what we define as "upper". I don't agree with your assertion on these towns - which ultimately is subjective. However, you need to acknowledge the fundamentals of statistics... when talking "median HHI" (a stat you seem to like), that means there are exactly as many people making UNDER it as there are making OVER it. So we could play this game until the cows come home because just about every town has a pocket of "wealth"... which I won't argue. But whether that makes it "upper" overall is open to debate. Suffolk county makes the Richy Rich top lists it does due to the super high end RE, not because of MP.

Upper middle class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Income statistics[12][13]
Data Top third Top quarter Top quintile Top 15% Top 10% Top 5%
Household income[12]
Lower threshold (annual gross income) $65,000 $80,000 $91,705 $100,000 $118,200 $166,200
Exact Percentage of households 34.72% 25.60% 20.00% 17.80% 10.00% 5.00%
Personal income (age 25+)[13]
Lower threshold (annual gross income) $37,500 $47,500 $52,500 $62,500 $75,000 $100,000
Exact Percentage of individuals 33.55% 24.03% 19.74% 14.47% 10.29% 5.63%
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,959,057 times
First Happy 4th

Secondly....these threads are ridiculous Most unpretentious upper middle class town? I thought this was a joke when I first read it.

You guys can't even agree on what's even an upper- middle class town for Pete's sake? unpretentious? really.

This is totally based on one's perception or one's prescription, lol.

Lets just shake hands and agree on disagreeing. There are no winners or right or wrongs here. Delete this thread and enjoy a nice BBQ, a few beers, preferably with one or two of your unpretentious neighbors

Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
No, Lloyd Harbor is a separate CDP from Huntington, so its numbers are not "lumped in" and skewing Huntington CDP's numbers. The reason (I just discovered) is that the census does not publish QuickFacts sheets for CDPs with populations less than 5,000. This is also why Sea Cliff doesn't have a QuickFacts sheet. I can check the actual 2010 datasets for LH and SC when I return to work next week.

According to CD, LH's estimated median household income in 2009: $219,281; Estimated per capita income in 2009: $95,493.

Likewise, Belle Terre is not "lumped in" with Port Jeff.

From CD: Estimated median household income in 2009: $155,392; Estimated per capita income in 2009: $75,654.

Stats for the less populated CDPs can be found here: Access Demographic Profiles (although income is not included)
Good to know.

Is the census counting the large illegal population in Huntington Station as well?

To a lesser degree in Port Jeff too?

Crooks

Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,756,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
eesh , poor little RP got H-Bombed. Hunt Sta lol.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add LH and CSH's data from factfinder2 because I saw they were mentioned as missing.

Cold Spring Harbor
Median Household Income - $134,821
Per capita income (dollars) - $63,436
Median Household Value (dollars) 827,100

Lloyd Harbor
Median Household Income - $186,500
Per capita income (dollars) - $104,813
Median Household Value (dollars) $1,000,000+

I'd say CSH is solidly upper-middle with wealthy. LH is wealthy.

I don't know how RP and Bohemia made it into the thread. But on the other areas mentioned, here is a good map showing census tracts with high percentage of $200k+ households. Combine that with well-above-average median home prices and I think that would qualify as upper-middle class areas on a national level, and in many towns on a LI level.

Go here> Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com > Select "View More Maps" > Then on the left menu select "Income Maps" > "Households earning over $200k" last selection on the right. Any tract shaded the darkest green could be considered upper-middle, IMO.

The two tracts covering Rocky Point are at 2% and 6%--about the same as Huntington Station actually. Bohemia is a little higher at 9%.
MP (22%) & especially Mt Sinai (31% & 8%) would likely qualify as upper-middle, or at least having pockets of upper-middle class residents. (Mostly referring to the tract closer to the water in Mt Sinai at 31%, not the part of Mt Sinai falling in the 8% tract). I usually don't agree with Crooks, but he might be partially-correct on MP/MS judging by the census. Reality is they are most likely solid middle class with pockets of upper-middle.

add:
Pequa, Bohemia got into the thread because I suggested it to the OP as a nice, solid middle class area with beautiful homes/properties and is very
unpretentious.

Also - judging by your green map, Neither Bohemia, Or Massapequa are looking too great. Do we know how accurate it really is? I see many areas on there that aren't dark green that I know for a fact are very wealthy areas...I don't know how much we can trust it.

And a lot of these rich towns you guys are throwing out are much higher then upper middle class. I don't understand warped Long Islander's sense of wealth. Seriously, if LLoyd harbor and Port Washington are only upper middle class...then I must live in a 3rd world country. You guys crack me up. Those towns are filthy rich by american standards. You all need to leave NY more often.

Last edited by ydsavaged; 07-04-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM

325 posts, read 738,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good to know.

Is the census counting the large illegal population in Huntington Station as well?

To a lesser degree in Port Jeff too?

Crooks
Yes, the 2010 census made the most concerted effort in history to have illegal immigrants (as well as homeless people) fill out census forms. Owing to the fact that illegal immigrants are hesitant to participate, many Spanish speaking workers were employed in areas like Huntington Station and Port Jeff to talk to people, help them fill out the surveys, and ensure them that the information was confidential and beneficial to helping people like them. Owing to the fact that many who are here illegally will still be hesitant to participate, the Census Bureau does not ask if an individual's immigration is legal or not. It then uses the "Residual Method" to subtract the number of immigrants known to be legally admitted to the US from the total immigrant population and determine the illegal population. In the past, this statistic has been questionable, which is why the census made a concerted effort to reach out to immigrant communities in 2010.

I'm sure your average MS13 gangbanger didn't fill out the form, but his hardworking mother, father, brother, grandma, etc. might have.

Even accounting for error, non-Latinos are still the comfortable majority in HS:

Quote:
White persons, percent, 2010 (a) 64.0% 65.7%
Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 10.9% 15.9%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2010 (a) 0.6% 0.6%
Asian persons, percent, 2010 (a) 3.5% 7.3%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2010 (a) Z 0.0%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 4.6% 3.0%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) 36.7% 17.6%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 47.6% 58.3%

Old 07-04-2012, 12:49 PM

34,142 posts, read 47,382,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
First Happy 4th

Secondly....these threads are ridiculous Most unpretentious upper middle class town? I thought this was a joke when I first read it.

You guys can't even agree on what's even an upper- middle class town for Pete's sake? unpretentious? really.

This is totally based on one's perception or one's prescription, lol.

Lets just shake hands and agree on disagreeing. There are no winners or right or wrongs here. Delete this thread and enjoy a nice BBQ, a few beers, preferably with one or two of your unpretentious neighbors
Good job.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,039,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Income statistics[12][13]
Data Top third Top quarter Top quintile Top 15% Top 10% Top 5%
Household income[12]
Lower threshold (annual gross income) $65,000 $80,000 $91,705 $100,000 $118,200 $166,200
Exact Percentage of households 34.72% 25.60% 20.00% 17.80% 10.00% 5.00%
Personal income (age 25+)[13]
Lower threshold (annual gross income) $37,500 $47,500 $52,500 $62,500 $75,000 $100,000
Exact Percentage of individuals 33.55% 24.03% 19.74% 14.47% 10.29% 5.63%
Peace offering - it's the 4th and we love each other! Here's an interesting link where MP and Mt Sinai rank much higher then I would have expected - supports your point... interesting for looking at all states, too.

U.S. cities ranked by household incomes over $100,000 - The Business Journals

Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, the 2010 census made the most concerted effort in history to have illegal immigrants (as well as homeless people) fill out census forms. Owing to the fact that illegal immigrants are hesitant to participate, many Spanish speaking workers were employed in areas like Huntington Station and Port Jeff to talk to people, help them fill out the surveys, and ensure them that the information was confidential and beneficial to helping people like them. Owing to the fact that many who are here illegally will still be hesitant to participate, the Census Bureau does not ask if an individual's immigration is legal or not. It then uses the "Residual Method" to subtract the number of immigrants known to be legally admitted to the US from the total immigrant population and determine the illegal population. In the past, this statistic has been questionable, which is why the census made a concerted effort to reach out to immigrant communities in 2010.

I'm sure your average MS13 gangbanger didn't fill out the form, but his hardworking mother, father, brother, grandma, etc. might have.

Even accounting for error, non-Latinos are still the comfortable majority in HS:
Did both areas report sizable Latino populations or did the usual nonsense fly? I would argue the numbers awe invalid if they're under 50 pct in Huntington Station. PJ and PJS are spread over 2 zips

Crooks

Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Did both areas report sizable Latino populations or did the usual nonsense fly? I would argue the numbers are invalid if they're under 50 pct in Huntington Station. PJ and PJS are spread over 2 zips

Crooks

Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Peace offering - it's the 4th and we love each other! Here's an interesting link where MP and Mt Sinai rank much higher then I would have expected - supports your point... interesting for looking at all states, too.

U.S. cities ranked by household incomes over $100,000 - The Business Journals
No lie

New money from WLI has taken over to the behest of the locals.

It is what it is.

Peace

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island