Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 PM

75 posts, read 142,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Having an "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address is no guarantee that a place is in the Village of East Rockaway.

Places with an "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address that are not in the Village of East Rockaway are in the Hamlet of Hewlett, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Bay Park and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of East Rockaway with a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address.

If you haven't already read this, On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 3, it may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
Quote:
Having an "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address but not in the Village of East Rockaway means that property is not entitled to village services.

A village is a self-governing municipal corporation, while a hamlet is governed on an at-large basis by the town it is located in.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".
What does this have to do with towns with a close LIRR commute? Nobody asked about village services and borders. East Rockaway is a 'postal town.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,718,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
If you don't care about technicality, don't worry about it. Other people worry too much about it. ;)
If the LIRR station is in a village and there is a village parking lot by the LIRR station, then regardless of mailing address, only a resident of the village can park their vehicle in the village parking lot, so this is more than a technicality.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
What does this have to do with towns with a close LIRR commute? Nobody asked about village services and borders.
It could prove to be a very important point if the parking lot at the LIRR station is a village parking lot.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,146 times
You guys are funny! I guess being in a village matters. Some villages have town docks where you can keep a boat So how are the schools in all of the above mentioned towns? I know Rockville Center is rated well.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,713,999 times
and keep in mind the time you will take a train in the morning....some village parking is so limited that you wont get a spot if you take a later train.

The Beutiful Pearl of the South Shore...better known as Massapequa Park...has sufficient commuter parking in its wonderful downtown area to accomadate you at any time of the day you choose to take the LIRR.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,405,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Not being snarky at all, but why does it matter so much about belonging to a Hamlet this and that? I’m not a native LI-er, so please forgive my ignorance. If I have an East Rockaway zip code, why would it matter whether I belong to the Village of… or not?
He's a stickler about that kind of thing. I put him on ignore, best thing I ever did.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,405,983 times
I vote Merrick. There are some houses on the water for a boat. If not, there are other public docks you could keep a boat. Bellmore & Wantagh have them and I believe so does Baldwin.

Merrick is in a very school district although I'm with the feeling that anyone in any school can be a good student if the parents instill the proper values in them. 45-50mins to the city.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,088,169 times
Quote:
It could prove to be a very important point if the parking lot at the LIRR station is a village parking lot.
they give you parking permits as long as your registration on your car says "East Rockaway"

Just like if you live in the PO of Seaford but in ToB, you can still get Hempstead Parking.

Half the people who work for these gov't services aren't even aware of the difference.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Half the people who work for these gov't services aren't even aware of the difference.
Unfortunately, so true.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM

78 posts, read 235,273 times
Wantagh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island