Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times

Advertisements

my thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
After reading this, and it seems accurate enough, some thoughts

Nassau: North Shore and Clarke seem a bit low, Oyster Bay conitinues to drop, Floral Park seems high.
Suffolk: Sizeable drop after Harborfields, Three Village seems a bit low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM

128 posts, read 251,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yes, something positive for my 7% tax increase (even though I voted for a 3%increase). I am surprised that:

a) beat Wantagh and Seaford
b) Division and Island Trees so much farther down the list.
Is there a map that shows the boundaries between Mcarthur, Division and island trees? All I see is levittown sd in most listings. A coworker of mine is looking in that area.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I'll be impressed when any Long Island student can calculate change in their head instead of having to plug it into the cash register first.
Welcome to the I-have-a-computer-in-my-pocket generation. Many things change... like what's in our diet because of pesticide regulations, like how good our immune systems are not because of hand sanitizers, HOW SAFE & FAST OUR CARS CAN GO WITH SO LITTLE EFFORT (ZING!), etc. Things NEVER stay the same. Some for the better, but not everything, obviously.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-02-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
There is another rankings list that was published by US News & World Report:

NY- Search New York High Schools | US News

US- Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

RVC, Commack, Jericho, and Locust Valley made top 100 in the country.

The only thing I don't particularly like about their methodology is they focus almost solely on AP/IB participation rate. Yeah, it's a great thing to have a high percentage of students taking at least one of these courses, but the pass rate should be more heavily weighed into the formula. I saw a school in NC with 62% participation rate but only an 8% pass rate, 60% proficient in Math/Eng, ranked just above top 1000, lol . I guess one positive about this is it may drive school admin to push more students into AP/IB. But I think Regents scores and the methodology used in the list in this thread, is more accurate/relevant for LI School quality.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM

some interesting notes:

4 yr grad rates may not be reliable in that several school districts require an additional year of math which takes some 5 years to complete. may be conflating drop-out rates with 4 yr grad rates

Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Thanks.

How much difference percentage wise between...lets say #100 and #700. Just curious.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
There is another rankings list that was published by US News & World Report:

NY- Search New York High Schools | US News

US- Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

RVC, Commack, Jericho, and Locust Valley made top 100 in the country.

The only thing I don't particularly like about their methodology is they focus almost solely on AP/IB participation rate. Yeah, it's a great thing to have a high percentage of students taking at least one of these courses, but the pass rate should be more heavily weighed into the formula. I saw a school in NC with 62% participation rate but only an 8% pass rate, 60% proficient in Math/Eng, ranked just above top 1000, lol . I guess one positive about this is it may drive school admin to push more students into AP/IB. But I think Regents scores and the methodology used in the list in this thread, is more accurate/relevant for LI School quality.
lol, I figured it would but I agree on how they did it.

Interesting to see on my end is how my little local H.S. kicked your butt in the national rankings Massa # 983 Midlo # 530... and did it at a cost of less then half the price per student. But on the flip side this out of 22,000 schools, so we both should be proud

Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
But all the tax money is about great schools.

I see 6 schools in and around Pittsburgh, Pa. that I was thinking about moving to that rank in the 500's and the taxes are about 3k a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post

Interesting to see on my end is how my little local H.S. kicked your butt in the national rankings Massa # 983 Midlo # 530... and did it at a cost of less then half the price per student. But on the flip side this out of 22,000 schools, so we both should be proud

Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 AM

we were 48 in state and 338 nationally, I'll take it

Quote:

Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:

lol, good one! Congrats to not-so-little Midlo. A good pass rate as well.
Although like I said, the only thing the higher score really says is Midlo had a higher AP participation rate. Still a good accomplishment though.
Fairfax County also seems to have a lot of top schools on the list, as well as Henrico (particulary Deep Run, which I've heard someone mention before). Are state proficient exams as stringent in VA as in NY?

Do you have a link to the cost per student of VA schools?

PS- I'd still take Pequa by a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island