Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:36 PM

51 posts, read 207,591 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live on Long Island, but are considering moving to a different town.
I have friends both in Stony Brook and Port Jefferson. I love both towns because there is an actual "town" to walk to.
My main concern is schools. One is very big, the other very small.
I hear good and bad about both. My friend who is a teacher says a small school is better academically, but worse socially.
So, its sort of a catch 22
Any opinions on these two towns?
I have also heard good and bad about general community things, snobby people, etc., but you get that everywhere so I take it with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamel View Post
Hi,
I live on Long Island, but are considering moving to a different town.
I have friends both in Stony Brook and Port Jefferson. I love both towns because there is an actual "town" to walk to.
My main concern is schools. One is very big, the other very small.
I hear good and bad about both. My friend who is a teacher says a small school is better academically, but worse socially.
So, its sort of a catch 22
Any opinions on these two towns?
I have also heard good and bad about general community things, snobby people, etc., but you get that everywhere so I take it with a grain of salt.
As a 3v grad...I prefer Stony Brook for Schools/Culture/Community.

There is a a very small pocket of PJ that goes to 3v up by Poquott....
with that being said,you could have the best of both.

Google breast cancer maps on LI first.
One of many reasons that I passed on both and bought Rocky Point.

C

Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 PM

11 posts, read 43,923 times
Default Stonybrook Or Port Jeff

Lisamel, I Just Saw Your Comments Today So I May Be Late Telling You My Opinion But I Dont Think You Can Go Wrong With Either Town. Both Are Very Nice. The Stonybrook Area Has A Beautiful Park By The Lake (i Dont Recall The Name.) Port Jeff Is Great, Lots Of History. Also A Great Place To Bar Hop And Have Fun.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 AM

http://www.health.state.ny.us/enviro...dfactsheet.pdf

Heres a link from NYS Health...I think its due to the LIPA plant in Poquott.
They'll never cop to it though.
Id be very concerned.

C

Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 AM

89 posts, read 345,465 times
I live in Port Jefferson Station and frequently go down to Port Jeff. My husband grew up in Stony Brook. Both towns are lovely but, if I were to pick a school district I'd choose Three Village. Port Jeff High School is smaller and it does have a good reputation. It's really a tough choice but I'd go with Ward Melville HS.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,529 times
If its a question of schools,I'd probably go 3 Village over P.J.,size does matter,if its a question of taxes I'd go P.J.,older homes there have much lower taxes,also,if you live near downtown you can walk most anywhere.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
If its a question of schools,I'd probably go 3 Village over P.J.,size does matter,if its a question of taxes I'd go P.J.,older homes there have much lower taxes,also,if you live near downtown you can walk most anywhere.
Keep in mind Stony Brook taxes arent too bad either if you buy older.
or in strathmore by the college.
(University helps defer quite a bit)

The LIPA plant helps out the taxes in Port Jeff

It would be great if the tax relief didnt come with a pesky tumor

C

Old 09-18-2007, 02:54 PM

51 posts, read 207,591 times
Default Thanks for the link clamboy

I pulled up that link to the cancer cluster survey.
It says 7 zip codes, but names Coram, Mt. Sinai and port JEff Sta as the towns. I am assuming Port Jeff, Setauket and stonybrook are the other zip codes. PRetty darn scary.
I am in Mt. Sinai now so I guess I am already doomed

Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,826 times
Port Jeff, because its just that nice a place to live... I grew up there and it was a tremendous amount of fun.

Also, if you spend your life worrying about cancer, cancer will wreck your life even if you never get it. Just have a good life and don't trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you. :-)

Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I think I would prefer Port Jefferson schools. There is a small town atmosphere throughout the village. I found that the Setauket schools were more competitive and
really geared to the brighter kids of the area. My son went there 25 years ago in the Gifted & Talented programs and I really wasn't that impressed. The high school Ward Melville has lots of Science winners ( almost all Asians from the University ) and all, but I think that the average kids may fall by the wayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island