Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 AM

909 posts, read 1,840,147 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the high school buses in Island Park students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM

30 posts, read 74,100 times
This thread is fairly outdated, but wondered if anyone could advise further. We are relocating to area for DH job in Hicksville in a few weeks. We have a friend who is an ex-cop in the NY area, who has indicated Hempstead and West Hempstead should be avoided. My question on this is the apartment complex West 130 and Metro 303? They seem a bit higher priced to me to be in a bad area. Am I off base there? We would prefer a house, but have kept them as a last resort since they allow large dogs.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,140,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhalt View Post
This thread is fairly outdated, but wondered if anyone could advise further. We are relocating to area for DH job in Hicksville in a few weeks. We have a friend who is an ex-cop in the NY area, who has indicated Hempstead and West Hempstead should be avoided. My question on this is the apartment complex West 130 and Metro 303? They seem a bit higher priced to me to be in a bad area. Am I off base there? We would prefer a house, but have kept them as a last resort since they allow large dogs.
Well, West Hempstead overall is much better than Hempstead.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Is this a nice area? Is it better than hempstead and surrounding areas or basically the same?
Some parts are nice. Just stay away from Lakeview in West Hempstead

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 PM

449 posts, read 1,134,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafa317 View Post
Some parts are nice. Just stay away from Lakeview in West Hempstead
What's wrong with Lakeview?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,140,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
What's wrong with Lakeview?
Nothing. It's just that it's mostly Black. Nothing to go about.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM

796 posts, read 1,759,820 times
I heard somewhere that the West Hempstead SD has one of the highest minority-to-academic success ratio. In other words, it's a great little town if you're looking for diversity without all the crime that people like to believe comes with it.

As with this chatter about Lakeview, many people like to point out that it's about 80% African American, but that's as far as it goes. It's very safe and quite pleasant to say the least:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2013 at 06:19 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM

327 posts, read 1,064,723 times
Island Park buses their students to either West Hempstead or Long Beach school districts for 9-12. May change some of the demographics at the High School level.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM

334 posts, read 1,103,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhalt View Post
Both of those are brand new apartment buildings with lots of amenities--unusual in that part of Nassau county where apartment buildings are mostly 50+ years old. Neither is in a really bad area. Metro 303 is a couple of blocks away from Garden City (an expensive area) They're both on streets with a lot of businesses nearby, not your typical suburban area. You could do a bing maps bird's eye view or google maps street view to get a better feel for the neighborhood.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 AM

656 posts, read 1,063,268 times
I wouldn't say Metro 303 is in a good area. It is in Hempstead by all the car dealerships and the single/multi family residences it faces are very downtrodden and filled with homes that have been illegally subdivided. As has been mentioned several times, the Franklin Ave border between GC and Hempstead is like the Mason-Dixon line...but it is indeed very close to GC/Country Life Press area. On a related note, I see that the Doubleday Court condo complex on Frankin Ave has been approved as they have a sign up.

As far as West 130, it is adjacent to the West Hempstead LIRR station which is nice, although service on that line is somewhat limited. It is also close to Hempstead and was built on the site of the former seedy Courtesy Hotel. I am not a fan of the location but it is better than Metro 303.

It will be interetsing to see how these two developments do in this current marketplace, given the somewhat suspect location of the properties, as opposed to say where Avalon properties would typically locate (it appears they are targeting that demographic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island