Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:35 AM

67 posts, read 149,023 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me where a single woman can live alone and be safe on long island for under a $1000.00. A studio is fine!! I will also be commuting to new york for work. I heard that there is alot of illegal renting on L.I. such as basement rentals why are they illegal? And can someone please please explain why people use brokers in new york to rent. Im from california and we just join a rental website for 6 months and you have an apartment. Is a broker necessary??? One final question how come all the apts in new york (all areas) have hardwood floors?? Does't it get cold not having carpeting?? Sorry so many questions but i just want to know what I will be getting myself into!!! Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,674,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
Can someone please tell me where a single woman can live alone and be safe on long island for under a $1000.00. A studio is fine!! I will also be commuting to new york for work. I heard that there is alot of illegal renting on L.I. such as basement rentals why are they illegal? And can someone please please explain why people use brokers in new york to rent. Im from california and we just join a rental website for 6 months and you have an apartment. Is a broker necessary??? One final question how come all the apts in new york (all areas) have hardwood floors?? Does't it get cold not having carpeting?? Sorry so many questions but i just want to know what I will be getting myself into!!! Thank you so much!!!
Wood floors look nice and allow the renter to have either wood or rugs. I assume that's it.

What kind of area are you looking for? Great Neck has a lot of rental buildings in many areas with great access to NYC. Some areas will require renting in a house in a more traditional suburban setting. More input would help.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:10 AM

123 posts, read 649,631 times
I agree with GCGuy. Why don't you take a look at the LI Craiglist, then ask about specific areas. You might want to x-ref with the Long Island Rail Road site to give yourself and idea about commutes.

There are a lot of illegal apts. on Long Island. I think that any basement apartment is illegal. Not sure if there are exceptions.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,674,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
I agree with GCGuy. Why don't you take a look at the LI Craiglist, then ask about specific areas. You might want to x-ref with the Long Island Rail Road site to give yourself and idea about commutes.

There are a lot of illegal apts. on Long Island. I think that any basement apartment is illegal. Not sure if there are exceptions.
I would say if you want a short commute, Nassau and maybe Huntington would be best. But, again, please let us know your more detailed thoughts.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Well i did hear i should be in nassau county because that would be closer than suffolk. I heard great neck was really expensive, on the other hand i was also told to check huntington but i havent found one thing in huntington at all. Is there something called huntington station? I heard that it had more apartments than houses and it was near the train station. I have checked craigslist but it just doesnt seem to have alot of 1 bedrooms except in the private homes which woul be fine but is that illegal and can i get kicked out without notice??? All the 1 bedrooms i have found are around $1300 and studios dont seem to exist. As far as area i dont care as long as it's safe to walk to and from my car or any public transportation i will be taking. Thanks so much for the replies and the help!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 01:02 PM

123 posts, read 649,631 times
Somebody else could probably answer this better than I, but I don't think that all private house apartments are illegal. It's a matter of whether or not the work was filed properly so that the homeowner is paying taxes on it. Hopefully someone can come along who can clarify. I'm not sure what you can do in terms of something going wrong with the situation. I think the tenants have few rights in that case (see the thread about the illegal apt. in FS). I don't know how you'd find out if the apt is legal or not beforehand. Would you just be going on the homeowners word?

Think about Long Beach. Decent commute and lots to do. Both buildings and home apts.

I know that a lot of people in my neck of the woods (Levittown) who turn their garages into decent size studios that go for under 1000. (If the garage door is still there, you can bet it's illegal). It is a safe area, and a decent commute (from Hicksville or Wantagh, depending on location), but less than charming compared to some other communities. Great for young families looking for somewhere affordable to live, but bar scene tends to be bikers and old men. Plenty of shopping, though. Any pretty convenient to different spots.

Are you coming to work for a large company? Do they have an intranet or message board? I know people who've found stuff that way, or through Craigslist roommate ads.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:30 PM

85 posts, read 255,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
Long Island is an interesting place to try and rent, some apartments are legal, many are not.

Long Island has an affordable housing issue, residents often pay huge school taxes, school performance plays a big role in property values, residents like to keep their communities and schools safe and secure. Owners have more of a connection to their communities, renters are more free to leave at will.

Permits for apartments can be expensive, all in all rentals are not encouraged(often renting a house is a better route as long as you have others you can live with, when I was younger this is what we did and we had a blast).

As far as safty is concerned you will be safe in the vast majority of areas on the Island. You should be able to tell unsafe neighborhoods easily here in NY, especially on the Island, I have often found Cali to much harder to determine "bad" neighborhoods than Long Island IMO you will be fine.

The broker thing is mostly a "city" thing, brokers are supposed to screen their clients and make life easier for land lords. Renting in Bkly and Queens (often not associated as being "Long Island" even though they are physically connected and part of it) also have many great neighbourhoods to rent in. I once lived in Bayside and loved it, Bell Blvd is a great strip and the commute is cake.

Hardwood is great for floors, it doesnt get cold and is better for allergies many consider it desirable. Just make sure you have a throw rug or runner by the bed so you don't bring in "fuzzies". You can pick up inexpensive throw rugs any where including Lowes, Home Depot, National Wholesale etc....

Good Luck here in NY!

Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,799,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny,ny View Post

The broker thing is mostly a "city" thing, brokers are supposed to screen their clients and make life easier for land lords.
Rentals by brokers are alive and well on Long Island. We help find suitable tenants, screen them, run credit reports, etc. Very often unsuitable tenants try to avoid agents because they know they will be subject to screening. Also, as a regulated industry, we are subject to fines and penalties if we do not verify the legality of the apartments that we rent, so that is somewhat of a safeguard for the tenant, as well.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 PM

Will i get in trouble if i rent an illegal apt and how can i find out if it's illegal??? I read on a couple of threads that brokers were the ones that showed the tenant the apt in the first place. BTW you are completely right about cali alot of people think wilshire blvd is a place to go and look for stars or has all the nice shopping dont get me wrong it is nice. What they dont know is wilshire turns into compton and believe me you are in a completely different world. Thats what i dont want!!! If a neighborhood is nice i would prefer it to stay that way for at least 10 or 20 miles not switch up every other block. How long is the commute to the city from bayside that sounds like what im looking for. Thanx for you input!!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM

85 posts, read 255,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Rentals by brokers are alive and well on Long Island. We help find suitable tenants, screen them, run credit reports, etc. Very often unsuitable tenants try to avoid agents because they know they will be subject to screening. Also, as a regulated industry, we are subject to fines and penalties if we do not verify the legality of the apartments that we rent, so that is somewhat of a safeguard for the tenant, as well.
Tom,

I stand corrected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island