Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM

22 posts, read 80,353 times

Advertisements

If your house backs onto a main road that has a sidewalk, are you responsible for snow removal, sidewalk repair, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
yes

Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSastoriaNYC View Post
If your house backs onto a main road that has a sidewalk, are you responsible for snow removal, sidewalk repair, etc?
It depends on where you live....

Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
It depends on where you live....
This house is in Bethpage and backs onto Stewart Avenue.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Do you have a fence separating your yard from the sidewalk on the main road?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
This house is in Bethpage and backs onto Stewart Avenue.
What do you mean by "backs onto Stewart Ave"? Where is the property line cutoff? Does the backyard face Stewart Ave? As far as I know, whether it's NYC or LI, homeowners are responsible for their property. While technically I don't own the sidewalk in front of my house, I am responsible to maintain it whether it's snow removal, repairing the sidewalk and keeping it clean. If you're in the ToH, property owners are responsible for the repair and maintenance of sidewalks, curbs, and trees along the roadway.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you have a fence separating your yard from the sidewalk on the main road?
The house's backyard which has a fence faces Stewart Ave. There is a sidewalk on the other side of the fence.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What do you mean by "backs onto Stewart Ave"? Where is the property line cutoff? Does the backyard face Stewart Ave? As far as I know, whether it's NYC or LI, homeowners are responsible for their property. While technically I don't own the sidewalk in front of my house, I am responsible to maintain it whether it's snow removal, repairing the sidewalk and keeping it clean. If you're in the ToH, property owners are responsible for the repair and maintenance of sidewalks, curbs, and trees along the roadway.
Well again it depends.... some places have property lines going to the curb and the sidewalk is an easement. In Islip Town, my property line goes all the way to the area between the sidewalk and the curb. I am responsible for the sidewalk. The grass area between the sidewalk and curb has belongs to the town. When the town tree tore up my sidewalk, they had to cut the tree down and replace my sidewalk.

There was a Newsday article about the OPs situation a year or so ago about who was responsible for sidewalks on the backs of property. The answer was it depends..

Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yes, the house's backyard faces Stewart Ave. I know we're responsible for the front sidewalk but what about the back? The reason I ask is because there is a huge tree on the sidewalk which is causing the sidewalk to buckle really bad. I'm just curious to know if we are responsble for the repair of the sidewalk.
It is Town of Oyster Bay.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Call the town and they will tell you - they are very helpful with information even though they are a pain to deal with because of all the restrictions. I asked this same question to TOB but it was the front yard so it doesn't help you.

Trees & Sidewalks 677-5888
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island