Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 AM

17 posts, read 24,856 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on my post several weeks ago. I have decided to stick with Dix Hills after looking further into some of the other communities I was considering. I think the snobbery is going to exist wherever I go at this point. I was surprised by how large the town is. The area I was looking at is off of Half Hollow Rd, just south of the LIE. Wildwood Drive was the block. There are several houses for sale in that area, lowest was around $1.2million and there was a large home for a bit over $3 million (seemed like most expensive in the neighborhood.) By chance, is anyone familiar with that section or does anyone have any advice on what sections are desirable. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
I think that section may be called Strathmore. If that is Strathmore, I thought it was really nice. Had a more community feel than some other areas in DH.

Strathmore also encompasses a few blocks North of the LIE as well.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 09-11-2007 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb19 View Post
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on my post several weeks ago. I have decided to stick with Dix Hills after looking further into some of the other communities I was considering. I think the snobbery is going to exist wherever I go at this point. I was surprised by how large the town is. The area I was looking at is off of Half Hollow Rd, just south of the LIE. Wildwood Drive was the block. There are several houses for sale in that area, lowest was around $1.2million and there was a large home for a bit over $3 million (seemed like most expensive in the neighborhood.) By chance, is anyone familiar with that section or does anyone have any advice on what sections are desirable. Thanks again.
I like the area just north or the LIE, east of Deer Park (I think east) by Caledonia Park and the Water building. 1 acre plots, slight rolling hills, good bang for the buck. Dix Hills is a nice area, don't worry about snobbery, there's good people to meet.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:26 AM

210 posts, read 671,569 times
Just sent you a Private message... I am a Melville resident.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb19 View Post
I was surprised by how large the town is.
Dix Hills is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the west part of Suffolk County, along the Huntington/Smithtown, Huntington/Islip and Huntington/Babylon town lines. There are 4 villages (municipal corporations) and 15 hamlets (unincorporated areas) all or partly in the Town of Huntington. There are no cities and 10 towns in Suffolk County. There are 2 Indian reservations in Suffolk County. (I'm including after my name a NYS Geographic Glossary with the NYS definitions of county, city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone.)

Dix Hills takes its name from Richard, or Dick, Pechagan, a Secatogue Indian who controlled the hilly area in colonial times. Over the years, the spelling was changed from Dick's Hills to Dix Hills.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington; on the east by the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown (the Huntington/Smithtown town line) and the Hamlet of Brentwood in the Town of Islip (the Huntington/Islip town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Deer Park and the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights in the Town of Babylon (the Huntington/Babylon town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Melville and the Hamlet of South Huntington in the Town of Huntington.

And, as occurs in every one of Suffolk County's 157 communities (0 cities, 32 villages and 125 hamlets), the Hamlet of Dix Hills has a different border than does the "Dix Hills, NY 11746" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Dix Hills mailing address and not be in Dix Hills and a place can have other than a Dix Hills mailing address and be in Dix Hills):

Those places that have a "Dix Hills, NY" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Dix Hills are in the Hamlet of Huntington Station, the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Deer Park and the Hamlet of Melville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Dix Hills with a "Brentwood, NY 11717" mailing address.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:46 PM

105 posts, read 496,359 times
WalterGreenspan, you have posted a lot of valuable information! I'm always interested in finding out the history of a place and how it got its name. Is there a book or website where the background stories/history of the different communities and towns on Long Island is published?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyHoliday View Post
WalterGreenspan, you have posted a lot of valuable information! I'm always interested in finding out the history of a place and how it got its name. Is there a book or website where the background stories/history of the different communities and towns on Long Island is published?
Blue, there are 2 cities and 13 towns (as well as 2 Indian reservations) in the bi-counties and the 13 towns (3 in Nassau and 10 in Suffolk) are further sub-divided into 96 villages (incorporated municipalities) and 195 hamlets (unincorporated areas), yielding 293 communities (2 + 96 + 195 = 293).

Concomitant with the January 1, 1999 centennial of Nassau County, NEWSDAY did some "history" of many of the 293 communities in Nassau and Suffolk Counties:

Long Island, New York - Long Island History and Long Island culture -- Newsday.com

Click on the "Our Towns" (in the upper right hand corner) to access the available community profiles.

But, be aware that there are many geographic errors (NEWSDAY, as do most LIers) has a great difficulty in confusing the borders of the villages and, especially, the hamlets with the non-conforming same-named postal zones.

Another good source:

Long Island Studies Institute
West Campus Library
Hofstra University
619 Fulton Avenue
Hempstead, NY 11549-4575

Tel: 516/463-6411
Fax: 516/463-6441

eMail: lisi@hofstra.edu

Long Island Studies Institute -- LISI

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 09-11-2007 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Omitted the word "errors" in text

Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 AM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
The area you are looking into is called the Strathmore section-most houses have access to the pool club over there-see if yours does. You can also get to the area off of Burrs Lane, right after Chestnut Hill (school off exit 50). If you drive around through that way you can see a lot of houses that were re-do's or have extensions-lot of potential. There is also another strathmore off of Bagetelle rode (behind temple off of 50) that is by same builder. It is a Melville address but Dix Hills schools-same elementary school as Wildwood address. That area encompasses Old Forge, Huntington HIlls and Strathmore. Feel free to pm me-I grew up in Dix Hills and live there now with my family. We are also looking to move-but stay within Dix Hills/MElville area. Good luck-Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island