Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebydesign View Post
Yes I had a buyer broker. I spoke to her today. As convenient as it may seem she had to leave town because of a death in the family. I don't need to know this! I didnt tell her I have two family members in the hospital!!!

This is in Suffolk county in Brookhaven township.

Disappointed to say the least!
NBD, Dissapointment I understand, especially during the experience of homebuying wich is an experience of mixed feelings. I wouldn't assume that people are trying to dupe you, taxes are a screwey thing on LI.

1. People do die, I don't think its a matter of convenience. She was telling you that as a courtesy as to why she isnt around. Your two family members have no bearing on your availability.
2. There could be other exemptions that the current owners have, and those numbers are what the listing agent would have.
3. It's a difference of 2k/yr (which isnt nothing dont get me wrong), but it could be the tax as reported including the STAR.

Is it possible that the listed taxes are last year, and there is a new tax bill?

Do you really like the house? Will the 2k break you? Have your atty hold the contract if you wish, but be patient and get your answers before you pull out.

Good luck, with whatever decision you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM

148 posts, read 475,489 times
Twingles --- there were NO exemptions.. We checked that.
Kayo--- please let me know how you make out! I want to know if I just had bad luck!
-N

Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,950 times
If you have a buyer's agent they should have checked on the taxes BEFORE they even showed you the house. Sorry for the disappointment.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Buck---I understand my brash attitude towards my broke'rs "death in the family". But honestly, I'm not sure I believe it. Or you could say it is the straw that broke the camels back.

There were no exemptions and they never signed up for star! I got the solid truth from the town. They are not last years taxes. Last years was $13,500.

I do like the house, but I am not so sure they will renegotiate the price....

Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Dawn-I really liked my buyers agent. This is such a disappointment. Not sure that I trust any one with their hand out during a closing.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Is it possible that the current owners have a veterans exemption? It should still be noted though.
FYI that exemption doesn't amount to much... unless combat vets get a ton more...

from our previous owner: ALT VET-NON-COMB $215.60

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Hey Rh71... Just a quick thanks. My husband is a non combat vet. We were wondering what kind of discount he migh get.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Is it really 14k to live in Middle Island now?

Large acreage?

Crooks

Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebydesign View Post
At least the Bait part..
I was just about the have my lawyer send the signed contracts to the seller's lawyer so the sellers can sign it. BUT before I did that, I went to the town to check on a CO. Found out that the taxes on the property that were listed at $12,027 were ACTUALLY $14,147!
!!!!
We are totally backing out on the contract now.
We were totally mislead.

Since I have the tax bill I am sending the seller a personal note from me. I firmly believe that they will have more trouble selling the property unless they can get an agent who is honest and hard working and confirms the information she posts online.

Is there anything else I can do to help out other consumers? Alert the Attorny General? I'm not even sure how.

But now since I am not buying a house I have plenty of time to write letters.
-N
New accessment? My sister bought a house, AT CLOSING her taxes went up too (A few grand). They said the house had an OLD accessment value. They "NEW" accessment value was her purchase price. Which was MUCH higher than what the orig. owners paid/were accesset at.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
FYI that exemption doesn't amount to much... unless combat vets get a ton more...

from our previous owner: ALT VET-NON-COMB $215.60
My FIL has a Purple Heart - my ILs get a LOT off their taxes!

I agree with Crooks - those taxes seem high for out there...is there a pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island