Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,202,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella1223 View Post
I think I"ll disregard your messages s13
As well you should.

MP is a nice working class Nassau town with Great Schools.

I'm not sure if you'll fit in being Italian and all.
JK
; )

DM Pequaman. He knows his town

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,795,751 times
You cant go wrong with any of the Pequas (except maybe East Massapequa which is mostly Amityville Schools). All are great areas to live. Just be aware of school districts as was mentioned before, some areas of Massapequa and Mass Park on the border are actually in neighboring districts and not Massapequa Schools (ie Farmingdale etc.)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM

42 posts, read 106,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
As well you should.

MP is a nice working class Nassau town with Great Schools.

I'm not sure if you'll fit in being Italian and all.
JK
; )

DM Pequaman. He knows his town

Crooks
It seems to be harder and harder finding working class towns with good schools and reasonable home prices that fit my "other" criteria. I'll have to message this DM Pequaman you speak of.. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,719,550 times
Its just pequaman...DM=Direct Message.

BTW...another added benefit of Mass Park is that there are 7 bars within the two block village. Wonderful if you need to escape the wife for a few hours. You know how they can nag.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM

42 posts, read 106,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Its just pequaman...DM=Direct Message.

BTW...another added benefit of Mass Park is that there are 7 bars within the two block village. Wonderful if you need to escape the wife for a few hours. You know how they can nag.
Your getting me in trouble before I even attempt to move there! haha..

How are the restaurants? Family owned? Good food?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,048,343 times
Islamic terrorists are now foregoing paradise and 40 virgins in exchange for Massapequa and a double double from All American Hamburger. THATS how nice Massapequa is.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,758,023 times
Geez s13, show some class at least if you wanna poke fun.
Perhaps this could be of some assistance to you> How to Be Funny - wikiHow

btw, s13's profile says Bay Shore, so I wouldn't take them seriously. Thanks Crooks & others for pointing the troll out.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,738,211 times
Quote:
Can someone give advise on Massapequa (North, Park, South)? (Beach access, schools (my son Vincent is 2 y/o), shopping and most of all the people!)
There is North Massapequa, Massapequa, Massapequa Park and East Massapequa. Massapequa Park is a village; the other 3 are hamlets. The eastern-third of East Massapequa is in the Amityville Union Free School District, which the general opinion does not favor.

Otherwise, the other 3 school districts: Massapequa Union Free School District, Plainedge Union Free School District and Farmingdale Union Free School District, that serve the general Massapequa area are considered to be better school districts.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,758,023 times
Quote:
I appreciate your input. For my situation looking to spend no more than $550K and stay in the best school district should I concentrate on any area in particular?
Here's a map of the Massapequa School District (shaded in Purple)

I wouldn't worry about any area in that district. It's one of the safest areas on Long Island, in my opinion. There's intangibles like neighbors generally knowing each other in their vicinity, spotting strange cars or strange people lurking in the area, we have a good police presence here, always PD by the train station booth so they'll get to you quickly if needed. It's a very safe area.

As far as any preferred areas, just avoid East of Carmans Road / Carman Mill Rd (27A), and you'll be fine. The eastern-third of East Massapequa is zoned for Amityville schools. If you go north of the purple shaded section, you will be in Farmingdale SD or Plainedge SD. Plainedge is good. Farmingdale is so-so ... and you'll notice taxes are higher outside of the Massapequa SD (Massapequa is a bigger district, bigger tax base, noticeably lower taxes).

Going down to the elementary school level, all the schools here are generally good schools. The three most well-regarded might be:
Birch Lane Elementary School - Massapequa Park, New York - NY - School overview
East Lake Elementary School - Massapequa Park, New York - NY - School overview
Fairfield Elementary School - Massapequa, New York - NY - School overview

Gps knows his bars and there's plenty of good bars to choose from here. Here are my favorite restaurants and stuff in this area (most of these are family owned):
-The Good Life
-La Bottega
-Ginos Tuscany
-Don Juans
-Zim Zari
-Mercato
-Salumi Tapas & Wine Bar
-Smokin Al's (Yankee BBQ)
-Big Daddy's (not as good as Al's IMO, Southern BBQ)
-Asian Moon
-Phils Pizza II
-Bagel Cafe
-Il Classico
-Athenas (Amityville)
-Vitorrios (Amityville)
-All American Burger

Those are probably my favorites. You can check them out on Yelp Yelp | Search Businesses In San Francisco. Also in "the village" (what people refer to as the downtown area on Park Blvd) there's some good shops like Ralphs ices, Carvel, Thai Taste, plenty of bars, post office, dentists, barber shops, nail salons for the wifey, IGA Village Farms, good delis, a bakery, etc.. You also have Massapequa's downtown on Broadway with some treats like Krisch's and the Massapequa train station there as well.

Where you want to live in the community probably depends on your preferences. Do you want to be able to walk to the train? The village? The preserve? Do you want to be closer to the water? I'd drive through the areas to see what you like better.
I prefer Massapequa Park, but anywhere in Massapequa SD is good. South of Merrick Road is generally nicer, more money though, more of an upper middle class vibe, especially by the water. The rest is a solid area, good people, clean, safe, parks, lots of kids, etc.
Enjoy.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,784,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Massapequa is the place for you than. Great schools, very family oriented neighborhood with the schools, sports parks, preserve woods/parks, beachs, beach clubs, side walks (safe and easy to bike and walk all around town), shops, villages, ice skating, golf course, public pools, shopping mall, plently of places of worship. It has the nick name Matza-Pizza because it was always known for it's jewish and italian residents.

North Massapequa - Some parts could be in the town of Farmingdale or Plainedge schools. I went to Massapequa High School and it is large and has a good track record. Benefit of large school is your children have many options of friends. Example if bullied can easily avoid those people and find new friends. Smaller schools often make it tougher on 'unpopular' kids.

Massapequa Park - by the Rail Road that goes to Manhattan. Great village with shops and resturants. Near the preserved woods area for biking and walking and fishing.

South - Close to the bay/water. Marinas for boating, good resturants as well.

All Massapequa is close to highways and commuting on major roads.

I'm bias as growing up there, but it's a lovely town to grow up and live.
In the larger school district, there is some social stratification based upon economics. If you're not one of the 'rich' kids you could wind up on the outside. Look at Razor, who was ostracized for being an apartment dweller. Being a ginger didn't help, either.

I attended one of the smaller districts (360 graduated my class) where the community was varied, but not the socially isolating environment you try to make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island