Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,044 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Greenlawn, can anyone share their thoughts about the Poet Section that lies within the Harborfields School District?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentorbuy View Post
Thinking about moving to Greenlawn, can anyone share their thoughts about the Poet Section that lies within the Harborfields School District?

Thanks,
Generally well regarded. Suggest you explore the area yourself - different parts to the Poet Section; compare the area on both sides of Cuba Hill Rd. The more populated part is between Broadway and Cuba Hill; the other is between Clay Pitts and Manor Rd.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Generally well regarded. Suggest you explore the area yourself - different parts to the Poet Section; compare the area on both sides of Cuba Hill Rd. The more populated part is between Broadway and Cuba Hill; the other is between Clay Pitts and Manor Rd.
Thanks for the quick reply - When i drove around it seemed that both sides were nice, quiet, well kept, and family oriented. The section that lies in the Elwood S.D. seemed to be a little worn, but still nice homes within. Is that an accurate observation in your opinion?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Is the section you refer to Harborfields or Elwood? At the present, Elwood is talking of merging with another unknown district. So that concerns me with Elwood homes. But in general, the Poet's section is considered well regarded with many nice families living there.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Is the section you refer to Harborfields or Elwood? At the present, Elwood is talking of merging with another unknown district. So that concerns me with Elwood homes. But in general, the Poet's section is considered well regarded with many nice families living there.
The area i was lookign at was the Harborfileds section. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
My daughter has lived in the Elwood SD for over 10 years now and it's not the first time that there have been talks. Since no "ideal, acceptable" partner has come forth as of yet, I don't see anything happening for the foreseeable future. Even if/when a partnership might come about down the road, it most likely would be years until such merger would be concluded - JMHO

Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 AM

92 posts, read 432,986 times
I am moving to Greenlawn July 1. We did a lot of research. We also found that parts of Greenlawn that went to Elwood were a little beat up. We were nervous with the Elwood SD not because of the education but the consolidation talk. We ended up buying just off of Pulaski near Harborfields High.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 AM

33 posts, read 64,671 times
Greenlawn, Harborfields part especially, is really nice. You will feel safe and happy and convinced that you made the right move, especially if your family plans to make use of the school district. It's excellent and getting even better all the time because people are fleeing other districts. Every summer we get an influx of education-minded people who are willing to pay, to get away from wherever. The people coming in are generally the kind you want. Well-educated, well-paid, interested in taking care of their properties, and very, very, very interested in the welfare of their children. They bring with them stories of wherever they came from that are not pretty, and you can see how relieved they are that they finally made it into a place like Harborfields. And then they never leave! It's not diverse at all but that's a plus, not a problem, for me. If I had a complaint, I would say that the money does bring in some heavy competition at an a young age, that you don't really want for your kids. That's driven partly by neighborhood and I see it way more in the Centerport kids, who tend who have the most money and the most stuff and the snobbiest parents. They often like to stick with their own kind anyway. It's very pretty there and I someday hope to be able to afford a house there. The decent ones are not cheap. But for now, Greenlawn is a really nice second, and it gets us into a top school district.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Essie View Post
Greenlawn, Harborfields part especially, is really nice. You will feel safe and happy and convinced that you made the right move, especially if your family plans to make use of the school district. It's excellent and getting even better all the time because people are fleeing other districts. Every summer we get an influx of education-minded people who are willing to pay, to get away from wherever. The people coming in are generally the kind you want. Well-educated, well-paid, interested in taking care of their properties, and very, very, very interested in the welfare of their children. They bring with them stories of wherever they came from that are not pretty, and you can see how relieved they are that they finally made it into a place like Harborfields. And then they never leave! It's not diverse at all but that's a plus, not a problem, for me. If I had a complaint, I would say that the money does bring in some heavy competition at an a young age, that you don't really want for your kids. That's driven partly by neighborhood and I see it way more in the Centerport kids, who tend who have the most money and the most stuff and the snobbiest parents. They often like to stick with their own kind anyway. It's very pretty there and I someday hope to be able to afford a house there. The decent ones are not cheap. But for now, Greenlawn is a really nice second, and it gets us into a top school district.
I'm in the school district as well and this would be my biggest complaint. It's starts young...pre-k, but I'm sure many of those kids have older siblings influencing them.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM

33 posts, read 64,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'm in the school district as well and this would be my biggest complaint. It's starts young...pre-k, but I'm sure many of those kids have older siblings influencing them.
You are right about that one, Wife. It does start with pre-K! Those little kids who don't even know what Uggs are are wearing them. But I think it's also the influence of the parents, maybe even more than the older siblings. There are some very competitive types around, and even some of the ones who are not so competitive by nature feel that they have to outfit their child in the latest or the greatest, or drive the best car, just so they can give their children a chance to fit in and be accepted. There's a lot of money in this district. Most of it is in the north. You do want the best for your kids, and "the best" here is a tough standard. It costs a lot to keep up, and that can be a challenge. I do like that even with all the money being thrown around, it's still not a tacky or flashy place. It's classy, for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island