Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:41 PM

244 posts, read 540,344 times

Advertisements

I should stay out of this given that I have no idea what it would cost.

However, I do have to ask the question; Did you actually SEE these homes to compare, and find that they went for so much more with the only difference being a second bathroom?

There is almost NO WAY unless the fixtures are gold-plated (or just made of gold) that there is a $60-100K difference in price and the only difference is an extra bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Could you please let me know what the cost was for permits? I already have a GC that I've used for all my home renovations, but I don't want to bother him if the price is way out of my league. I was hoping for under 15k, but I might be dreaming.....

My husband and I both grew up in Levitt's, he in the cape, I in the ranch. Still have laundry in the kitchen? Good luck with your projects.
I have a ranch. Laundry not in the kitchen anymore...it's in a closet in the bedroom next to the bathroom.

For my home, the front dormer with bathroom is $28,000 with the architect fees included. Not sure what just the bathroom cost is for your home.

Some people made a good point, You will not recoup the full amount you pay for a bathroom addition. It will increase your value, but not $60,000. Many of the Levitts that sold for more money may have other features not in your home.

Some may be fully renovated or, like in my case, I have a 20 ft extension on the entire rear of the home with a dining room addition. MB has a huge walk-in-closet. Garage is converted to a den. i have vaulted ceilings and skylights. It is still not the greatest Levit home, but my value is more than basic Levit homes.

It could also be school district. I am in Island Trees, while other home values may reflect Macarthur or Division taxes/value.

Do the renovation because you want/need it, not to recoup the amount of the renovation.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM

257 posts, read 751,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I have a ranch. Laundry not in the kitchen anymore...it's in a closet in the bedroom next to the bathroom.

For my home, the front dormer with bathroom is $28,000 with the architect fees included. Not sure what just the bathroom cost is for your home.

Some people made a good point, You will not recoup the full amount you pay for a bathroom addition. It will increase your value, but not $60,000. Many of the Levitts that sold for more money may have other features not in your home.

Some may be fully renovated or, like in my case, I have a 20 ft extension on the entire rear of the home with a dining room addition. MB has a huge walk-in-closet. Garage is converted to a den. i have vaulted ceilings and skylights. It is still not the greatest Levit home, but my value is more than basic Levit homes.

It could also be school district. I am in Island Trees, while other home values may reflect Macarthur or Division taxes/value.

Do the renovation because you want/need it, not to recoup the amount of the renovation.
Thanks for the price estimate. I finally broke down and called my GC, and he's coming next week to give me a better idea, but he "thinks" he could do it for under 12k, in which case I think it would be worth it. Even if we decide to stick around, I've always wanted the second bath.

Our house isn't a Levit, but it reminds me of them a bit-being that both my husband and I grew up in Levits. We're in Wantagh in the Wantagh schools.

We looked at a house that sounds a lot like yours in the "Planet Section" by the north village green. Good luck with everything.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
You might also want to call the Town and ask how much that would affect your RE taxes. Buyers have become very sensitive to "high" taxes - in addition to everything else they complain about

Good luck - a second bath is an asset, just remember what's been pointed out several times here (including by me), it's not going to add $60K to the sales price.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 AM

55 posts, read 176,926 times
I grew up in a cape home and then later purchasing one in Mineola after we got married. Say what you will but they are efficient homes. We added a half bath to the second floor and it was the best decision we made. Personally I think every home needs more than one bathroom. I think that an investment into putting in a bathroom will pay off. Just as someone above mentioned don't go too crazy and put in high end items.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanielj View Post
I grew up in a cape home and then later purchasing one in Mineola after we got married. Say what you will but they are efficient homes. We added a half bath to the second floor and it was the best decision we made. Personally I think every home needs more than one bathroom. I think that an investment into putting in a bathroom will pay off. Just as someone above mentioned don't go too crazy and put in high end items.
Thanks. I do love the adorable cape style, and they are every efficient, and easily expandable. So many people dormer the top though, and I feel like it totally ruins the architecture upstairs (although I do realize it is roomier). I think IF IF IF I can get it done for 12k or less, I would still profit, even in this market. We'll see.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 39,608 times
So, what was the estimate and/or the actual cost? We are planning on doing the same thing to our house.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
We're considering adding a 2nd bath to my cape home since we are considering selling, and based on the comparable sales we've seen, it's a major factor in price. The house is currently a 4br, 1 bath (2br down, and 2br up). Basically the layout is what I have coined a "backwards levitt". Enter in the living room, then dining room (former kitchen), then kitchen addition in the back.

The one current bath is in the hall across from the master and next to the "nursery" (smallest br).

We would rather not sacrifice a bed for a bath, because it is currently used as a home office SOO...IF we were to do a "doghouse" dormer on the second floor to add bath #2, any ballpark figures as to what that would cost? Just a standard 5x7 bath, nothing too crazy.

I just gutted our existing bath for $7500, and it's looks way more expensive - I'm a good bargain shopper.

Thanks.
If I understand you correctly, and you're adding a bathroom upstairs and no current pipes exist there, I would say $25-35K min. A 4/1 is valued down about $35 from a 4/2. A second bath is necessary even for a 3 br to max. out value, so for a 4 br it's even more lacking. I would definately do it, and again, I think you will get more than your money back. Baths are still a biggie! At the least it'll help sell it faster; I would pass completely if a place didn't have a second bath, unless it was dirt cheap.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
our realtor advised against it, but we still haven't sold so take it fwiw

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 PM

FYI: We never ended up doing the renovation/additon, but the costs were as follows: 15k construction of 3pc. bath. $1600 permits (TOH) , and $2800 architect fees. So figure around 20k, give or take a few things that may come up (which they always do!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: