Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM

294 posts, read 611,191 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys...I'm going to give it a try myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,805,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
now put a photo up of one that doesnt use plastic parts. you know, the type that is profesionally done with copper pipe and welded. you know the ones that last a lifetime.
The job that the OP is tackling, has no copper involved, no water supply pipes. Welding has never been a part of ANY residential plumbing system,
pipes (both ferrous and non-ferrous) are never welded. Copper tubing (pipes to the layman), is brazed or soldered into place and even now, there is a
swing towards eliminating as much copper as possible in new residential construction by replacing certain household supply lines with vinyl hoses and
having solderless connections. You'd need to realize that the older drain systems were primarily brass, chrome plated and made here in our American
factories, manufacturers who have gone out of business since the advent of plastic, a cottage industry of the oil industry. Plastic will outlast brass,
ten-to-one, it's a helluva lot cheaper than metal, it won't rust or corrode like "copper-pipes welded" and most of all, there's a full set of instructions
provided both on the bag and online too, to guide the homeowner through a professional style installation! Why reinvent the wheel?

Quote:
you know the ones that last a lifetime.
The only real thing that lasts a lifetime, is life itself and that's simply a relative length of time. Think about it...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,829,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
The job that the OP is tackling, has no copper involved, no water supply pipes. Welding has never been a part of ANY residential plumbing system,
pipes (both ferrous and non-ferrous) are never welded. Copper tubing (pipes to the layman), is brazed or soldered into place and even now, there is a
swing towards eliminating as much copper as possible in new residential construction by replacing certain household supply lines with vinyl hoses and
having solderless connections. You'd need to realize that the older drain systems were primarily brass, chrome plated and made here in our American
factories, manufacturers who have gone out of business since the advent of plastic, a cottage industry of the oil industry. Plastic will outlast brass,
ten-to-one, it's a helluva lot cheaper than metal, it won't rust or corrode like "copper-pipes welded" and most of all, there's a full set of instructions
provided both on the bag and online too, to guide the homeowner through a professional style installation! Why reinvent the wheel?

The only real thing that lasts a lifetime, is life itself and that's simply a relative length of time. Think about it...
+1 - nothing the OP asked about would need to be "welded".

Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM

338 posts, read 778,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post

im sorry, i meant "sweating pipes".

Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,746,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Copper for pressured lines of course but come on here....plastic PVC for a waste line is the best. Cheap,easy and lasts a lifetime if done correctly.
Total cost for complete replacement under $20.
PVC definately works.... although there are pleanty of houses that actually have a copper DWV system. I was surprised when I saw this in my house. I wasnt expecting cast iron, but copper was a surprise

Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 AM

338 posts, read 778,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
PVC definately works.... although there are pleanty of houses that actually have a copper DWV system. I was surprised when I saw this in my house. I wasnt expecting cast iron, but copper was a surprise

why? was it a new home? most new homes have pvc. older homes dont, unless they updated.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM

654 posts, read 2,125,027 times
What about the $49.95 Any Sewer of Drain company that you see on TV. I believe they also make repairs . 1888-pay-4995
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island