Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:38 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,781,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
Why would you recommend something on the North Shore to someone who is obviously better suited on the South Shore.
Definitely a south shore move. Huntington would put them 45 minutes to an hour from Long Beach. Huntington, where in Huntington? The hamlet or Northport?? Huntington Bay? HV?

South Shore is ideal and a lot closer to Long Beach. I'd recommend Farmingdale, Levittown, Rockville Centre, Merrick, Wantagh, Massapequa. You'd be on the Babylon LIRR line in the last 4 areas with rail to Patchogue and Manhattan and a quick 10-25 minute drive to Long Beach or Plainview (depending on which hamlet/village).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 AM

311 posts, read 1,025,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Its hip/cool if you are a member of the Bloods or Crips.
So you are going to judge an entire town on a few bad apples? Plus, that is more in Brentwood than Wyandanch.

Let's look at one of the nicest towns on LI...Rocky Point. In the last year there has been problems with biker gangs, teenagers robbing houses, and a couple of other small crimes that have been in the news. Does it make Rocky Point undesirable to live in? No, absolutely not. Every community unfortunately will have some bad seeds, but it is not fair to judge an entire community on it.

I think Wyandanch, with it's proximity to the OP's jobs and range in rent they can afford to pay, would be a perfect fit. Plus, as stated earlier, it is in walking distance to bars/restaurants etc....

Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,725 times
Thank you all for the tips. I'm going to check out Babylon, Rockville centre and massapequa in addition to long beach. Also thanks to Walter for the geographic info.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:45 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
I think Wyandanch, with it's proximity to the OP's jobs and range in rent they can afford to pay, would be a perfect fit. Plus, as stated earlier, it is in walking distance to bars/restaurants etc....

What bars and restaurants?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaOscar View Post
Thank you all for the tips. I'm going to check out Babylon, Rockville centre and massapequa in addition to long beach. Also thanks to Walter for the geographic info.

Rockville centre is a good choice but far from your Patchogue office. Babylon is a good choice for sure, closer to Patchogue but far from Long Beach.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,725 times
Thanks glad2b. I'd like to be close to long beach since the only people I know are there. But I'm worried about that commute, especially with traffic and winter weather.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 PM

9,940 posts, read 23,314,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Rockville centre is a good choice but far from your Patchogue office. Babylon is a good choice for sure, closer to Patchogue but far from Long Beach.

Almost everything is far from Long Beach because of it's location - it's an island, so traveling to Long Island (another island ), you're limited to crossing where the bridges are and there are few.
If West Islip has enough "action" for you, you'd have Robert Moses Causeway to Ocean Parkway, via Loop Parkway to Long Beach as a great alternate travel route for visiting your friends.

Either way, you'll have quite a distance to travel. Question is, where is long travel time less objectionable: to your friends or to work??

Old 04-18-2011, 12:15 AM

3,923 posts, read 9,199,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaOscar View Post
Hello!
I am moving to LI from Arizona. I will be working in 2 offices, mostly in plainview, sometimes in Patchogue. The only people I know in LI are my age (late 20s, early 30s) live in Long Beach. They say it's the best place around, but I don't know if that is a long commute.

Here's more about me.
I'm looking for a cool/hip town. I'd like to walk to bars, restaurants, etc.
I prefer to be close to a train station. I have friends in Brooklyn and Nj, so close to the city is best.
I'm looking to rent a 1br apt. Somewhere around $1400-$1900/mo.

So, is long beach the place? Are there any other towns near the city and near long beach and near plainview that I should consider? Help! thx!
I would say that Babylon would be a good place for you.

If you look at the LIRR map (MTA LIRR - LIRR Map), you'll find that Babylon is right on the Babylon Branch of the LIRR, which means you'll have a fairly easy trip when you want to go to NYC.

On days when you don't want to drive, you can get to Patchogue by simply taking the train away from NYC. To get to Plainview, you can take the train to Hicksville, and then take the N78 or N79 bus to Plainview.

To get to Long Beach, you can take the LIRR to Lynbrook and either take the N15 bus or the LIRR to visit your friends.

I think it is important to be in an area with somewhat decent public transportation, you may want to get rid of your car when gas prices start rising. In addtion, there are times when there is bad weather, and it is easier to take public transportation than to drive.

I hope this information was very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island