Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,693,942 times

Advertisements

Progress = plastic vinyl replacing wood and bricks a darn shame.MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
Its so sad that old homes are being knocked down so new homes that arent built as well are put up. I dont understand why history is being scrubbed out like this. Wouldnt it be better to rebuild or restore the original structure?
The structure had been restored and structural issues addressed. My company had been on the site numerous times to address issues caused by time or by unknowledgeable 'handymen' who performed work before us.
There were a few minor cosmetic issues (windows changed over time -- not the lack of symmetry in some of the photos; shutters here, none there) but otherwise is was a solid house which would have withstood another 136 years of weather and occupants.

The only problem with the house was the owner's lack of appreciation for older homes. He saw the fabulous view, wanted it, bought it. The house was an inconvenience.

Being in the trade, I understand that people want what they like. What I just never got was how they can buy in an area where almost all the homes are older, tear apart a home which was sound, and expect to rebuild a monstrosity. One thing I have noticed is that many foreign-born residents appreciate the older homes. This man is one who did not.

Crooks -- you know the area. The house was just west of Aunt Amy's Creek, overlooking West Meadow. There are still a handful of the homes around here with dirt cheap taxes -- this one wasn't. I have no idea of what the owner intends to build -- but his taxes are going to soar. $16K was a bargain (relatively speaking) for that house and property at that location. Whatever he plans for new construction will put him firmly into the mid 20's if not more.

I just want to thank everyone who was understanding of the way I felt. The house is gone; my 2nd favorite house is now my first. The man who owns it has offered me first shot at it should he decide to sell it. It's about 160 years old and has some awesome features as well as a barn.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Here;s the front.. very nice, def one of a kind. He got it cheap.
They sunset view from the veranda was well worth the million plus asking price.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,194,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The structure had been restored and structural issues addressed. My company had been on the site numerous times to address issues caused by time or by unknowledgeable 'handymen' who performed work before us.
There were a few minor cosmetic issues (windows changed over time -- not the lack of symmetry in some of the photos; shutters here, none there) but otherwise is was a solid house which would have withstood another 136 years of weather and occupants.

The only problem with the house was the owner's lack of appreciation for older homes. He saw the fabulous view, wanted it, bought it. The house was an inconvenience.

Being in the trade, I understand that people want what they like. What I just never got was how they can buy in an area where almost all the homes are older, tear apart a home which was sound, and expect to rebuild a monstrosity. One thing I have noticed is that many foreign-born residents appreciate the older homes. This man is one who did not.

Crooks -- you know the area. The house was just west of Aunt Amy's Creek, overlooking West Meadow. There are still a handful of the homes around here with dirt cheap taxes -- this one wasn't. I have no idea of what the owner intends to build -- but his taxes are going to soar. $16K was a bargain (relatively speaking) for that house and property at that location. Whatever he plans for new construction will put him firmly into the mid 20's if not more.

I just want to thank everyone who was understanding of the way I felt. The house is gone; my 2nd favorite house is now my first. The man who owns it has offered me first shot at it should he decide to sell it. It's about 160 years old and has some awesome features as well as a barn.
I know the house...I wouldve assumed it to be on the Historic register.Thats really a crime OBH.

3VHS must be POd

Crooks

Old 04-17-2011, 11:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,817,600 times
When we move across the pond, we are looking at houses that were built in the 1600's. I just cannot do new, lack of character anymore.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I know the house...I wouldve assumed it to be on the Historic register.Thats really a crime OBH.

3VHS must be POd

Crooks
The process to get a building onto the NHR isn't simple; also it can be prohibitive to the homeowner for future work. You start with the state and then go to the feds. Most people don't have the time, patience or energy to deal with this. The destruction of my favorite house is motivating me to speak with acquaintences at the local trust and see what needs to be done in order to create a business of expediting for antique homeowners and the NHR.

Driving through New England there are so many communities where the old homes stand and serve generations of people. Why LIers (and many others across the country) have this disposable Bic lighter home mentality is beyond me. I don't begrudge anyone a new home -- I take issue when it is at the cost of homes like my favorite, or when it does not complement the architecture within a community.

Many people do confuse the TVHS with the HDAC. The HDAC is the Historic District Advisory Committee -- they oversee projects which are planned for the historic districts and transitional zones. It is their job to approve of materials and appearance of a proposed project to keep it in line with other homes in the district/zone. The one thing to bear in mind is that as an advisory committee, they are not the final say. I have had client projects sail through because they are doing the right thing. There have been other projects were the plans are so out of step that they are painful to even consider in context with the area (this applies to all historic districts/transition ones in Brookhaven.) The board usually stops these dead in their tracks. Sometimes someone knows someone in building and the HDAC's recommendations are tweaked or over ridden.

The TVHS celebrates our area's history, awards homeowners for the preservation efforts, but has absolutely no say in what is/isn't built in the historic and transition zones. They have no pull.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
When we move across the pond, we are looking at houses that were built in the 1600's. I just cannot do new, lack of character anymore.

Please send back pictures once you've established your home. I would LOVE to see them!

Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,194,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The process to get a building onto the NHR isn't simple; also it can be prohibitive to the homeowner for future work. You start with the state and then go to the feds. Most people don't have the time, patience or energy to deal with this. The destruction of my favorite house is motivating me to speak with acquaintences at the local trust and see what needs to be done in order to create a business of expediting for antique homeowners and the NHR.

Driving through New England there are so many communities where the old homes stand and serve generations of people. Why LIers (and many others across the country) have this disposable Bic lighter home mentality is beyond me. I don't begrudge anyone a new home -- I take issue when it is at the cost of homes like my favorite, or when it does not complement the architecture within a community.

Many people do confuse the TVHS with the HDAC. The HDAC is the Historic District Advisory Committee -- they oversee projects which are planned for the historic districts and transitional zones. It is their job to approve of materials and appearance of a proposed project to keep it in line with other homes in the district/zone. The one thing to bear in mind is that as an advisory committee, they are not the final say. I have had client projects sail through because they are doing the right thing. There have been other projects were the plans are so out of step that they are painful to even consider in context with the area (this applies to all historic districts/transition ones in Brookhaven.) The board usually stops these dead in their tracks. Sometimes someone knows someone in building and the HDAC's recommendations are tweaked or over ridden.

The TVHS celebrates our area's history, awards homeowners for the preservation efforts, but has absolutely no say in what is/isn't built in the historic and transition zones. They have no pull.
Good point.

Albeit a PITA to actually live in a Historic home due to the stringent and sometimes petty and silly reqs. The Tax savings are really substantial.
Can you imagine 2800sf on over an acre in Setauket for under 2k yr?

I would think with the heinous nature of taxes nearby more folks would be inclined to go that route.

You may have a solid cottage biz idea.

Crooks

Old 04-17-2011, 03:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,190,101 times
Currently there is a beautiful, charming 1760 historic home on the market in my area - wrap around porch, antique fixtures, balustrades, wide plank floors, etc., etc. with 6 BR and 3 1/2 baths on a shy 3/4 acre.
Love showing it - but wish there were more people interested in it; not enough buyers who appreciate what it offers!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 AM

4,700 posts, read 8,775,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Currently there is a beautiful, charming 1760 historic home on the market in my area - wrap around porch, antique fixtures, balustrades, wide plank floors, etc., etc. with 6 BR and 3 1/2 baths on a shy 3/4 acre.
Love showing it - but wish there were more people interested in it; not enough buyers who appreciate what it offers!
but does it have walk in closets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island