Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 PM

570 posts, read 1,217,392 times

Advertisements

The point here is that the kids are coming in illiterate in their own language, meaning, they've had very little formal education and don't know things like grammar, vocabulary, comprehension in reading, maybe don't read or write at all...
All of that makes it doubly difficult to teach them English. Add to that the fact that by state law, they now have only ONE year to learn enough English to be able to pass all the tests that our own kids take! Talk about an impossibility! Just think if the situation were reversed and it was your child in a foreign country having to take a reading, writing, comprehension test in another language, after only being there one year!

In addition, some of these children are requiring special ed services. That alone is very costly and could last for years if not their whole school career.

Free and Reduced Price Breakfast and Lunch is given to those who qualify according to income. It is a federal program. School districts do not fund this themselves. They do provide the service however, so cafeteria staff have to be available in the morning for breakfasts. Schools without anyone qualifying for FRPBL won't have that expenditure for staff in the AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 PM

208 posts, read 492,971 times
we had a Class in Dawnwood Middle school for The Illegals To Learn English
i never saw somthing so sad in my Life their were like 30 of them

In High School their were only 3 if my Memory is Correct So 27 of them Failed 8th Grade lol

Don"t know why Pepole Pass the Budgets Its Going in Techers Paychecks The Books have been Used over and over
The Smart Boards Were the Only thing i Saw New come in

Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM

840 posts, read 2,450,758 times
well, I honestly can not understand people like my neighbor who live in a 1400 sq ft house and rent the basement, it's nuts. I cannot imagine why people want to share their home with a stranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Whats the difference?

Behind every 3rd world Slum Hi Ranch is a white guy living large.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 AM

496 posts, read 1,252,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
How are free lunches draining money? 1 in 6 in the Riverhead school gets free lunches. How about by living 15 to a house and sending 6 or 8 kids into the school system? As for the teachers and admins salaries, I think I've been perfectly clear on that one. They need to be reduced NOW.
I guess I am just tired of hearing people blame the state of economy and schools on immigrants, when clearly it is not so. This country has dealt with immigrants since before its foundation. Why is the problem prevalent now? Why wasn't this the case a few decades ago? It's easy to say it's the illegals, take it from them. Overpaid bad teachers come to mind first, those who get tenured, don't perform yet stay in payrolls until they retire, and then live off of taxpayers for the rest of their lives. It could be the number of immigrants as well contributing to this, for sure, but it isn't the main problem. To me, usually people who complain about immigrants are those who would complain about immigrants no matter what, it's their agenda.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,823,336 times
Vlorak ; you know that is not my agenda. I am an immigrant, but I waited until I could afford kids to have them.

I am not blaming the total mess on immigrants at all ; but it has to cost a lot of taxpayer money to teach esl, to provide extra services etc. Free lunches and breakfast ; thats another thing ; and yes, that is costly as staff need to be paid etc.

The other question is the sports and extra curricular activities ; kids need late buses ; dont they cost money. Why cant the parents of these kids pick up their children at the games etc. Or even pay for the sports etc. Can they pay for uniforms etc? There is just too much "free" things being given out.

Basically they really arent free as the tax payer is paying for them.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 AM

172 posts, read 293,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
I guess I am just tired of hearing people blame the state of economy and schools on immigrants, when clearly it is not so. This country has dealt with immigrants since before its foundation. Why is the problem prevalent now? Why wasn't this the case a few decades ago? It's easy to say it's the illegals, take it from them. Overpaid bad teachers come to mind first, those who get tenured, don't perform yet stay in payrolls until they retire, and then live off of taxpayers for the rest of their lives. It could be the number of immigrants as well contributing to this, for sure, but it isn't the main problem. To me, usually people who complain about immigrants are those who would complain about immigrants no matter what, it's their agenda.
I am a bleeding heart lib, at least that's what my friends think, but it annoys me to equate immigrants with ILLEGAL immigrants, which are causing big problems in this country right now, among other things that are causing big problems here.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM

496 posts, read 1,252,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
I am a bleeding heart lib, at least that's what my friends think, but it annoys me to equate immigrants with ILLEGAL immigrants, which are causing big problems in this country right now, among other things that are causing big problems here.
thank you for noticing. I intentionally used (and always use) illegal and legal immigrants in same context. why? From experience, most, not all, who have problems with illegals, have a problem with immigrants. period. legal or illegal. But it's easier, and less chance to be accused of discrimination, when the anger turns to illegals rather than legals. Again, as a decade old immigrant, this is my perception. People just don't like immigrants. Fine, Say it, then. I don't have a problem with anyone. I don't think illegal immigrants are taking the bite out of my mouth, or jobs, or taking anything away from my kids. If anything, they will teach my kids that anything can be done, even learn a language, survive in totally foreign environment, better oneself, work hard etc. Do I appreciate that they come here illegally? Absolutely not. Do I bend out of shape that they are coming here? No. They do not bother me. They are not the problem. These schools have been failing for years.
AND ps: frankly, many many many native english speakers write poorly in English, speak poorly, do not understand basic grammatical rules etc. What is their excuse? Did the immigrants screw up their English?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,819,352 times
Illegals are a part of the problem, but it is mainly the unions.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,352,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Illegals are a part of the problem, but it is mainly the unions.

And the overpaid teachers.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,359,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
I think what many people fail to realize is that many of the Latino immigrants coming into our country are arriving with little to no formal education-especally those from El Salvador. Most of the earlier European immigrants had formal education in their home language, and had to "transfer" their prior knowledge into English. Many of these students are not literate in their native language, and consequently struggle due to a lack of semantic mapping.

I understand people resenting these students as taxpayers; but I ask you to consider the cost of not educating the youth of this influx population. Have a teenage/young adult not educated immigrant population can lead to an increase in crime, unemployment and creating a ghetto environment.

If you want to save money on education, look at your administrators and instructional salaries.
They know plenty about guns from being soldiers in civil wars though. Yeah just what we need here.

Also, they are getting educated and there is crime, unemployment (at legal jobs) and ghetto environments aplenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: