Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

nbres...I'm slightly confused...I thought you posted to me recently that you liked NB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
Response to jfkIII:

I do like North Babylon. What would make you believe otherwise?

I just hate the people who turn their homes into rental apartments. It happens in North Babylon and it happens everywhere else. In fact I see tons of apartment conversions in the Commack/Dix Hills area off Commack Road. It appears that every other high ranch has a separate entrance in the front or the side.

The problem with renters is that they put additional strains on all community services without paying their fair share of taxes. Each house with an apartment becomes a blight on the community as a whole. Thus, lowering the quality of life for the rest of us.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I've been reading through many different LI threads where we've both been posting and I noticed that sometimes your posts would suggest that you're a LI lover, but other times a LI hater. I was just trying to figure your take on LI...maybe it's a love-hate relationship?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM

880 posts, read 2,024,212 times
Seems like even politicans ILLEGALLY rent.Assemblywomen GINNY FIELDS and her husband illegally rent gets caught says she didn't know.She has been in trouble with the law 2 times that I know of.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:30 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,000 times
Long Island taxes are beyond outrageous, they are beyond belief. If people are renting illegal apartments to help foot the bill, leadership is required to address the underlying problem, which are those taxes.

My sister lives in a tony Dix Hills neighborhood. One of her neighbors was divorced a few years ago and she kept the house. As the taxes increased, she was pretty squeezed and now has a tenant. People will do what they have to do to survive.

As an aside, one person renting an illegal apartment is one thing but it's when whole families are allowed to do so that the strain shows on the school system and other services.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Default OK, boot the illegal renters

Now, you've eliminated a bunch of affordable housing that enables a certain class of people to live here. They go away. The businesses that employed them fold and go elsewhere. And, your taxes go up some more to compensate for this.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
When I lived on the Island it wasn't the poor that lived in the illegal apartments, it was young marrieds. We traded that for a nice condo in Richmond.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
When I lived on the Island it wasn't the poor that lived in the illegal apartments, it was young marrieds.
It would be interesting to know what percentage of the illegal apartments on LI end up rented to middle-class singles and young marrieds, and what percentage to the poor or working class or illegal immigrants.

I'm not sure what Dedalus meant by "a certain class of people". Clarification of that would be helpful.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
Response to jfkIII:

you are right. I do have a love-hate relationship with Long Island. I did try to leave, but ended up back here again and again. What can I say?

I guess I hate the fact that the Long Island that I love is on the decline and there is nothing that can be done.

Those that rent out parts of their homes are just another example of what is causing Long Island to decline. I'm sorry, but if people can not afford their homes on their salary they should have bought a cheaper home. If people bought what they could afford they would not have to resort to renting out parts of their house.

The end result will be the slumming of Long Island.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 PM

81 posts, read 349,846 times
I've been living and doing business throughout LI for the last 27 years,and when I read most of these posts I really believe most of you have been living in a cave for the last 10 years!!
Does anyone actually get out there and see whats going on..and I don't mean running to the mall..I work in every town and neighborhood in LI.
Why does this crap all of a sudden surprise everyone ??It's been going on for years.Will the last american to leave please take the flag!!

wake up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island