Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM

25 posts, read 86,290 times

Advertisements

1. Can anyone recomend a high school or boarding school for a child with emotional needs? (preferably in suffolk county)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki745 View Post
  1. Can anyone recomend a high school or boarding school for a child with emotional needs? (preferably in suffolk county)
2. Yeah, William Floyd has a great program for kids with emotional needs. Central Islip and Longwood would be good also.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,941 times
Please forgive me for the ignorance...but what defines "emotional needs"?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Ask your local school district where they send the kids their teachers want to "get rid of" (at additional taxpayer expense, not one penny is asked for from the parents) because they are "difficult" or "causing trouble." This is commonplace on LI: just get rid of the annoying students; the taxpayers will foot the entire bill; the teachers don't have to deal with the student. There are several very expensive boarding schools in upstate NY that students are sent to (at 100% taxpayer expense) if the teachers in the public schools claim the children are disruptive students.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Please forgive me for the ignorance...but what defines "emotional needs"?
Same question here.... sounds like some feelgoodery BS to me.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Same question here.... sounds like some feelgoodery BS to me.
I think it is schools for the emotionally disturbed.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM

257 posts, read 751,307 times
If the student is female, I would recommend Harmony Heights.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:27 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
As was asked by others, "emotional needs" isn't very descriptive and subject to all kinds of interpretation.
If they are behaviorial difficulties, St. Mary's in Syosset might be a possibility. If the child is currently in school, a referral to Sagamore (in Dix Hills) would be excellent; there they will end up making suggestions or referrals to an appropriate school, etc.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM

25 posts, read 86,290 times
Please forgive my ignorance and now outrage at the tone of certain responses. This is all new to me and as anyone who has children that they love can understand it is hard when your child is suffering. The emotional need is social anxiety and contrary to what you have all assumed it is not a distubtive child but quite the contrary. A very quiet highly intelligent well behaved straight a student who just has trouble in certain social situations. No need to worry about your tax payer dollars being wasted sending this child off to your or someone elses school district. The home school where we pay our taxes has come up with an excellent plan to keep this child in the home school while at the same time challenging them academically and helping them reach their full potential

Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Please forgive my ignorance and now outrage at the tone of certain responses. This is all new to me and as anyone who has children that they love can understand it is hard when your child is suffering. The emotional need is social anxiety and contrary to what you have all assumed it is not a distubtive child but quite the contrary. A very quiet highly intelligent well behaved straight a student who just has trouble in certain social situations. No need to worry about your tax payer dollars being wasted sending this child off to your or someone elses school district. The home school where we pay our taxes has come up with an excellent plan to keep this child in the home school while at the same time challenging them academically and helping them reach their full potential
Is this child being bullied?

It's sad that usually the bullies aren't the ones sent away to special schools, but their victims, who did nothing wrong except have the bad luck to be picked on, are.

I think the bullies should be the ones who are deemed "abnormal" in the school districts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: