Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
If you are not happy with the neighborhoods in Bay Shore you are checking out, try the Manor La area south of Union, north of Montauk Hwy.
Would that neighborhood be in West Bay Shore?

A map of the Hamlet of West Bay Shore in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

West Bay Shore is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of West Bay Shore Hills have a "Bay Shore, NY 11706" and a "West Islip, NY 11795" mailing address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Would that neighborhood be in West Bay Shore?

A map of the Hamlet of West Bay Shore in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

West Bay Shore is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of West Bay Shore Hills have a "Bay Shore, NY 11706" and a "West Islip, NY 11795" mailing address.
technically I believe so, but mailing address is zip 11706 and I believe it's Bay Shore school....

Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
technically I believe so, but mailing address is zip 11706 and I believe it's Bay Shore school....
Yes, according to the maps, that would be in the part of West Bay Shore that has a "Bay Shore, NY 11716" mailing address and is in the Bay Shore Union Free School District.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes, according to the maps, that would be in the part of West Bay Shore that has a "Bay Shore, NY 11716" mailing address and is in the Bay Shore Union Free School District.
11716 is Bohemia

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
11716 is Bohemia
You're right: I miskeyed the '1' for a '0': Bay Shore is 11706, not 11716.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM

44 posts, read 252,710 times
I live in Bay Shore and we are very comfortable here. There are neighborhoods I wouldn't want to be in but I'm sure there are in every town. I don't have kids in the school system yet but the other parents I've talked to have been really happy with the district.

Since moving here, we have found a lot of people that don't live here still have a old mentality about Bay Shore. Yes, it was in limbo for a while but there have been great improvements to the area and continues to be. They recently re-did the marina area with a brand new waterpark and created historical walking paths along the downtown area. The St. Patrick's Day parade and the Memorial Day parades are well-attended. The Y is instrumental in community involvement. Not to mention, there are some top notch restaurants in the Main St. area. We are happy here.

That being said, we are moving, so if you want to buy our house...
We are not originally from LI, or NY for that matter, and we are moving back "home" for family reasons.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 15,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieskier View Post
I live in Bay Shore and we are very comfortable here. There are neighborhoods I wouldn't want to be in but I'm sure there are in every town. I don't have kids in the school system yet but the other parents I've talked to have been really happy with the district.

Since moving here, we have found a lot of people that don't live here still have a old mentality about Bay Shore. Yes, it was in limbo for a while but there have been great improvements to the area and continues to be. They recently re-did the marina area with a brand new waterpark and created historical walking paths along the downtown area. The St. Patrick's Day parade and the Memorial Day parades are well-attended. The Y is instrumental in community involvement. Not to mention, there are some top notch restaurants in the Main St. area. We are happy here.

That being said, we are moving, so if you want to buy our house...
We are not originally from LI, or NY for that matter, and we are moving back "home" for family reasons.
:-) thanks for your detailed opinion i appreciate it a lot. best of good luck moving back home.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM

59 posts, read 91,211 times
Bay Shore schools are excellent, and there are many neighborhoods in Bay Shore that are plenty safe. Just drive around the area. It is easy to tell the good areas from the bad. It is an EXTREMELY diverse town, encompassing the entire socio-economic spectrum.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 PM

59 posts, read 91,211 times
Also... some houses in North Bay Shore that are in the 11706 zip code are still zoned for Brentwood schools. Be careful. Call the registration office at the school district if you are unsure, as some real estate agents have been known to be less than truthful when selling homes in this area. The district office will know where the house is zoned. Believe me, they are quite diligent in making sure that they are not paying for Brentwood students to attend their schools.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Default A map of the Brentwood Union Free School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
Also... some houses in North Bay Shore that are in the 11706 zip code are still zoned for Brentwood schools.
All of North Bay Shore is in the 11706 ZIP Code postal zone and most of North Bay Shore is in the Brentwood Union Free School District.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Brentwood Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Brentwood, the Hamlet of Hauppauge, the Hamlet of North Bay Shore, the Hamlet of Bay Shore and the Hamlet of Baywood.

A map of the Brentwood Union Free School District:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island