Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people overlook the areas on LI that are cheaper to buy a home in VS renting the damn thing. 2-3 bedroom apartments in Nassau County run anywhere from $1200-$2000/month on average. Here is a list of homes that will cost, in total, about the same as a 2-bedroom rental ($1600 average) and that are in a decent area. The area I chose is East Massapequa. Be aware though, these homes are zoned for Amityville SD, so if you are looking for an area with good schools, then this probably isn't for you. One-Third of East Massapequa goes to Amityville SD and the other 2/3rds goes to Massapequa SD. This is a fine Nabe. It's next to "South Amityville" or the Village of Amityville, which is a fine area, far away from the North Amityville side which is the notorious side.

FWIW, I give this area my stamp of approval (referring to South of Sunrise Highway in East Massapequa/Amityville SD section). I'm sure there are other areas like this in good nabes but zoned for a poor SD. Post the ones in Nassau or Suffolk county, if you know of any that would be good for renters moving up to first time buyers or old folks looking to downgrade but stay on LI. You're minutes from an excellent range of shopping (Sunrise Mall and many other shopping centers including fine dining establishments all around you and the Amityville train station minutes away ~1 hr to Penn).

The following homes are technically East Massapequa, but MLSLI lists by ZIP code. When you click on a link to MLS, it will probably give you a blank error page, simply hit the "Refresh"/"Reload" button on your browser to pull up the info on the listing page.

----
1. MASSAPEQUA, NY 11758
Taxes: $6,505
List Price: $219,900

Hi Ranch, Detached, # Families: 1
8.0 rooms, 5 Bedrooms , 2 Full Baths
MLSLI.com
MLNum=2369068
(CLICK RELOAD/REFRESH BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER TO VIEW IF LINK RESULTS IN ERROR)

Monthly Payment (Principal & Interest Only): $1,054.73
Taxes: $6505 + Insurance $1200 = $642.08
Total Monthly Payment= $1697

----------------------
2. MASSAPEQUA, NY 11758
Taxes: $6,342
List Price: $170,000

Ranch, Detached, # Families: 1
7.0 rooms, 2 Bedrooms , 1 Full Baths
MLSLI.com
MLNum=2202141

Monthly Payment (Principal & Interest Only): $815.39
Taxes: $6,342 + Insurance $1200= $628.50
Total Monthly Payment= $1443

----------------------
3. MASSAPEQUA, NY 11758
Taxes: $6,396
List Price: $175,000

Ranch, Detached, # Families: 1
7.0 rooms, 3 Bedrooms , 1 Full Baths
MLSLI.com

Total Monthly Payment= ~$1475

----------------------
4. MASSAPEQUA, NY 11758
Taxes: $6,375
List Price: $189,905

Cape, Detached, # Families: 1
6.0 rooms, 3 Bedrooms , 1 Full Baths
MLSLI.com

Total Monthly Payment= ~$1550
-----------------------
5. MASSAPEQUA, NY 11758
Taxes: $6,801
List Price: $229,000

Hi Ranch, Detached, # Families: 1
6.0 rooms, 3 Bedrooms , 2 Full Baths
Monthly Payment (Principal & Interest Only):
MLSLI.com

Total Monthly Payment= ~$1725
-------------------------

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-01-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,155 times
My favorite is #3. Complete with wrap around full chain link fence. A tree custom grown to fall right on the house. The always classy enclosed and sided porch. Gutter drain with no gutters. White stuff on the roof, that I don't think is snow. And complete with a classic automobile. What Long Island family couldn't resist the utter charm of this shed with a boiler.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
My favorite is #3. Complete with wrap around full chain link fence. A tree custom grown to fall right on the house. The always classy enclosed and sided porch. Gutter drain with no gutters. White stuff on the roof, that I don't think is snow. And complete with a classic automobile. What Long Island family couldn't resist the utter charm of this shed with a boiler.
New gutters are a couple hundred bucks installed by pro or DIY for $100.

House #3 - looks like about 1,000 ft of living space + ~800 sq ft basement + full attic + 2 car garage on a 50x142 large property. The tree will likely outlive both of us or call "Cheap Charlies" tree removal service and have it chopped down for $300 bucks and the fence can be ripped out (I would take the fence out).

"Not A Short Sale! Handyman Special! 3 Bedroom Ranch W/Det. 2 Car Garage, Foyer, Lr, Fdr, Kitchen, Full Bath, Mudroom, Full Attic & Unfin.Basement. Large Living Space, Incredible Storage, Brand New Gas Htng System, 50X142 Property. This House Has Incredible Potential! Property Sold As-Is. Bring Your Hammer And A Vision!"

Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 PM

929 posts, read 2,069,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
New gutters are a couple hundred bucks installed by pro or DIY for $100.

House #3 - looks like about 1,000 ft of living space + ~800 sq ft basement + full attic + 2 car garage on a 50x142 large property. The tree will likely outlive both of us or call "Cheap Charlies" tree removal service and have it chopped down for $300 bucks and the fence can be ripped out (I would take the fence out).

"Not A Short Sale! Handyman Special! 3 Bedroom Ranch W/Det. 2 Car Garage, Foyer, Lr, Fdr, Kitchen, Full Bath, Mudroom, Full Attic & Unfin.Basement. Large Living Space, Incredible Storage, Brand New Gas Htng System, 50X142 Property. This House Has Incredible Potential! Property Sold As-Is. Bring Your Hammer And A Vision!"
You should be my real estate agent

Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
I was really wanting one with a turret. Got any?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,617 times
west babylon
MLSLI.com

MLSLI.com

MLSLI.com

Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
OMG. Where are the interior pictures? It's a little disingenuous to say that you can just move into these house and pay your mortgage and just merrily skipping off into the sunset. How many people really want to buy a 2 bedroom house? I remember way back in the old days looking at houses in Garden City and a RE agent we were working with called me about a 2 BR house. I drove by and there was NO property. I called her back and said "I'm sorry, I don't recall mentioning that we don't want kids. What exactly am I supposed to do with that house?"

The whole rent vs. buy thing also doesn't take into consideration the down payment. For many people, saving for the down payment is the real stumbling block (although shouldn't be difficult at these prices).

BUt yeah, I'd be thrilled to buy a house in an unusable school district only to know my taxes will probably double in 10 years and I'll never be able to unload it again.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 AM

54 posts, read 216,417 times
I've been looking for the exact same thing...nice houses in nice areas where my mortgage would be under 2K a month...believe me...there isn't much to choose. I want a good SD though...not the best one in nassau...but a good one nonetheless...

There really isn't much...and im not afraid about fixing a few things. I look none stop...but haven't found anything yet

Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 AM

25 posts, read 119,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow86 View Post
I've been looking for the exact same thing...nice houses in nice areas where my mortgage would be under 2K a month...believe me...there isn't much to choose. I want a good SD though...not the best one in nassau...but a good one nonetheless...

There really isn't much...and im not afraid about fixing a few things. I look none stop...but haven't found anything yet
If you find a place with 6K taxes (good luck esp in a good district), with your Homeowner's Insurance and taxes your escrow alone will be 500 bucks...more if you want/NEED flood insurance. Tack on PMI if necessary...your playing field is going to be small.

One thing I learned is the 'move in condition' really doesn't exist. My house was but over the course of 9 months I changed virtually everything to suit our tastes anyway...appliances, kitchen, light fixtures, bath fixtures, paint, EVERYTHING..was it necessary? No. But you will probably want to make changes even if your place is mint. If I had it to do again, I think my pool of homes I'd have considered would have been considerably larger (and cheaper)...

Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,689,860 times
Who has the time to fix up the rat traps shown here when one has to work 2 or 3 jobs just to buy grocerys and gas for the car?best bet is move away from LONG Island NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island