Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 PM

21 posts, read 57,340 times

Advertisements

I had heard for years that he had a home in Cold Spring Harbor but I assumed had died before spending much time there.

There are now a few youtubes documenting his life there. One website says he actually lived in Laurel Hollow. There seem to be very few photos, nothing about the actual address.

Not to slight Billy Joel or Groucho Marx, whose lives here are well documented, but I find it surprising that such a significant figure has so little written about him on Long Island.

Anyone who can fill in the blanks, I would love to hear stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 AM

338 posts, read 777,621 times
imagine all the people.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 AM

341 posts, read 1,535,561 times
I know a bit about it, because I produced a Behind the Music on his final years. He did buy a place in CSH in the 70's. Spent most of his time in Upper West side of Manhattan (Dakota building) but later in life, developed this passion for boating/especially sailing. There's quite a bit of footage of them on boats around Long Island Sound/ Bayville etc. So, he took sailing lessons on Long Island Sound and eventually chartered a boat (with a crew) to Bermuda in the Summer of 1980.

He got in a huge storm, but (according to him) still insisted on piloting the boat himself and that the whole process, the peril, getting bashed by the waves, etc was so cathartic that when he reached Bermuda, he was compelled to write again after a 5 year break. THe result, was Double Fantasy. He recorded it with Yoko... and the night they found out that it went Gold, they were going out to celebrate but John wanted to check on his 5 year old son and say goodnight, so the car just pulled up to the building, instead of into the car port. John got out, a fan called out to him and shot him dead.
saddest story ever.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,811 times
WOW! Is that really true? How sad!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterazur View Post
I had heard for years that he had a home in Cold Spring Harbor but I assumed had died before spending much time there.

There are now a few youtubes documenting his life there. One website says he actually lived in Laurel Hollow. There seem to be very few photos, nothing about the actual address.

Not to slight Billy Joel or Groucho Marx, whose lives here are well documented, but I find it surprising that such a significant figure has so little written about him on Long Island.

Anyone who can fill in the blanks, I would love to hear stories.
Wasnt Harry Nillson out here too?

I thought it was further east ...Nissequogue, Belle Terre

John idolized him.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I know a bit about it, because I produced a Behind the Music on his final years. He did buy a place in CSH in the 70's. Spent most of his time in Upper West side of Manhattan (Dakota building) but later in life, developed this passion for boating/especially sailing. There's quite a bit of footage of them on boats around Long Island Sound/ Bayville etc. So, he took sailing lessons on Long Island Sound and eventually chartered a boat (with a crew) to Bermuda in the Summer of 1980.

He got in a huge storm, but (according to him) still insisted on piloting the boat himself and that the whole process, the peril, getting bashed by the waves, etc was so cathartic that when he reached Bermuda, he was compelled to write again after a 5 year break. THe result, was Double Fantasy. He recorded it with Yoko... and the night they found out that it went Gold, they were going out to celebrate but John wanted to check on his 5 year old son and say goodnight, so the car just pulled up to the building, instead of into the car port. John got out, a fan called out to him and shot him dead.
saddest story ever.
Outstanding

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post

saddest story ever.
I saw that episode. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
If he stayed and lived on Long Island he would be a staunch Republican now. Age makes you wiser. I could easily see him being embarrassed by his actions earlier in his life.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterazur View Post
I had heard for years that he had a home in Cold Spring Harbor ... One website says he actually lived in Laurel Hollow.
Parts of the Village of Laurel Hollow in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County, have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" mailing address.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 AM

325 posts, read 737,194 times
It's in Laurel Hollow on a private road off of Ridge Road. The house is only visible from the harbor (or from across the harbor on Shore Rd). It's a New England shingle-style house, next door to the brick Georgian with the giant solarium. My brother and I used to take our father's boat out and hang out (stalk) the house in hopes of running into John. Aside from a few maybe sightings, it never happened. From what I understand, he and Yoko did spend a fair amount of time at the house. Family friends were neighbors and would provide an update when it was rumored that he was in town. Yoko sold the house in the late 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island