Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 AM

903 posts, read 3,585,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Can you find out when the Town supposedly paid Mark Lewis? Seems like nobody wants to let go of the $$. "Show me the money!" ;-)

First time I wanted to grieve, I went to Mark Lewis - they turned me down. Did it myself instead and got a nice reduction...
Second time I grieved I used someone else, successfully; but I'm getting the money directly - payment doesn't go to them first. Supposedly a check will be coming in February...

who did you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,196,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
who did you use?
Property Tax Adjusters Inc. (located in Syosset).
Marsha Held 516.364.1743

Also referred my daughter there and she's smiling now

Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 AM

863 posts, read 2,110,459 times
I don't think they send the money to Mark Lewis. I used Mark Lewis and all i did was pay them once they won. I am getting my money from the town directly.

If you won enough money I would take a day to visit the town and mark lewis. I don't know about you but i dont' have money to give to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
we are still waiting with mark lewis as well. my husband calls and mark lewish says the town hasnt paid them and the town says they have.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM

The numbers just does not add up. I would be happy to take a $3000 win from the tax office than the taxable income. I don't make that much to see that big of a savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Not to put a damper on things for all of you who successfully grieved, but the amount you're getting back this year will reduce the amount of RE taxes you can deduct for this year (2011)

Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,233 times
It's the same type of story in Nassau. I used "property tax adjusters", Elise Sachs, in Syosset. They got me a nice reduction, however I had already paid my bills to Town of Oyster Bay, so I am owed money. The town has refunded my school tax, but the general tax has already been sent to Nassau County (I may have that reversed).

So I have called the County, and they tell me that my check will eventually go to "property tax adjusters". I think that is BS that it is not sent to me, but I might have signed an acknowlegement allowing that to occur. Nassau County also tells me the same thing you were told. After a certain period of time (2-3 months) I will get 1%, but I think it is annualized, not per month. Heck, at 12% per year they can keep my money forever.

Anyway, still waitng for my money, too.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM

I am still waiting. I think i need to call them again and see what happens.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,940 times
Just called the town of Brookhaven to find out where my refund of almost $3000 is, that was successfully grieved in December 2010! They said they are processing checks for October 2010's approvals right now, and "might" get to ours by August. They have 3 people processing the paperwork. Is this not criminal? They give you 1% interest after 90 days following when the judge signed off. So far I have 1% interest (which is pretty good) from March forward. Given this snails pace of refund, the county is paying top dollar in interest for no good reason. You'd think they'd figure out that their residents would spend the money in the county, and they'd help the economy by paying us what is rightfully ours! Imagine being so late paying your property taxes.....unreal how they can just determine on their own how long it will take to get us our money. There should be some changes here. If I'm lucky I'll get my $3000 by August. Good grief.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,196,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owed View Post
It's the same type of story in Nassau. I used "property tax adjusters", Elise Sachs, in Syosset. They got me a nice reduction, however I had already paid my bills to Town of Oyster Bay, so I am owed money. The town has refunded my school tax, but the general tax has already been sent to Nassau County (I may have that reversed).

So I have called the County, and they tell me that my check will eventually go to "property tax adjusters". I think that is BS that it is not sent to me, but I might have signed an acknowlegement allowing that to occur. Nassau County also tells me the same thing you were told. After a certain period of time (2-3 months) I will get 1%, but I think it is annualized, not per month. Heck, at 12% per year they can keep my money forever.

Anyway, still waitng for my money, too.
Did you get your money yet?
I also used Property Tax Adjusters (Marsha Held, Elyse's partner) and yes, the refund goes to them; they take out their fee and cut you a check for the balance. My grievance was finally granted in September of last year (for tax year 2009/2010!!) and when I called the County, I was told checks were going out May 31st. I got my check , almost $1K! It's in the bank now - at least for the moment ;-)

Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,916,105 times
Submitted 2/25/11 and still waiting for it to even be reviewed. Status: received.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Dam I should have used them. I had to pay mark lewis first and then wait what seems like years to collect. Oh I called suffolk and they told me sometime maybe in Sep-Nov. I won for last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island