Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citta012 View Post
I am currently looking to potentially move into the Elwood sd, but am a bit confused by what I've read in these threads. Their being dated, does anyone know what is going on now? I would want to know if any kind of merger is expected in the near future? Also, if anyone has any comments on the Elwood schools from an involved parent's/student's viewpoint. Looking at comparison between this and E.Northport or Commack.
I have a daughter living in the Elwood SD and she is very happy there! (she has two school-aged children)
According to information received from her, there isn't any kind of merger expected in the near future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM

377 posts, read 644,725 times
Elwood SD is much smaller than both Commack and Northport/East Northport Schools. Commack is rated highest of the three academically, but the other two are great as well. I am an occupational therapist working with kids who have special needs. While I do not personally work in Elwood SD, several of my colleagues do and have raved about Elwood and about how relatively easy it is in that district to get kids the educational programs and services they really need (where in other districts you have to fight and fight and your child may still fall through the cracks). The general consensus was that the higher ups in Elwood actually really care about the kids' well being and look at each child as an individual, which is so nice to hear. If we were not moving to Nassau to be closer to work and family, I would not hesitate to move to Elwood SD.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM

21 posts, read 46,457 times
Thanks to Mariotti and kdlugozi for their replies. I am a bit nervous, as even my realtor says the current state of the school district is "something to consider", and we can't afford to not know for certain. I know Commack is largest and highest score-wise, and I was told that EN/Northport offers more to its high-schoolers--ie. IB courses--which has me a bit concerned also. Saw a home in the "L" section that we liked, but afraid to jump on it due to all of this. Also read somewhere, that 14 positions were cut since last year, and am wondering if the class sizes have risen.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citta012 View Post
Thanks to Mariotti and kdlugozi for their replies. I am a bit nervous, as even my realtor says the current state of the school district is "something to consider", and we can't afford to not know for certain. I know Commack is largest and highest score-wise, and I was told that EN/Northport offers more to its high-schoolers--ie. IB courses--which has me a bit concerned also. Saw a home in the "L" section that we liked, but afraid to jump on it due to all of this. Also read somewhere, that 14 positions were cut since last year, and am wondering if the class sizes have risen.
I can certainly appreciate your hesitation, which is why I asked my daughter. Don't know how familiar your agent is with the school district beyond the information that's "out there".

I'd like to suggest you get in touch with the school's PTA and talk to some of the members - nothing like getting information first hand!! Even if you should decide to pass after that, at least you won't continue to wonder about the "what if".

Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Speaking to the PTA is a good idea. I will try to do that. Thanks for the suggestion. Being that the taxes in this section of town are considerably higher than I've found in some EN homes, it is wise to dig deeper.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM

Default need some more assistance

I did get in touch with PTA. Thanks. Need some more help as I've expanded a bit into the Greenlawn area. Now I know, I've been told, that certain sections of town are much less desirable. Have seen something on Chauser Drive and something on Kipling Drive, both north of 25A, the latter much more so than the former.
Can anyone tell me about these particular areas? Thank you.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,764,368 times
Neither Chauser or Kipling are north of 25A. You probably mean 25 (Jericho Turnpike). This is the area of Greenlawn referred to as the Poet's section, as all of the streets are named after poets. Overall, it's a pretty solid middle class area. Of those two streets, I like Kipling a little better because it is north of Cuba Hill Road, which is nicer in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island