Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 PM

65 posts, read 282,875 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is thinking of buying into New Hyde Park. How is the area in terms of safety and family life?Any areas to avoid? I checked great schools site for schools and they seemed pretty good. Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 AM

510 posts, read 2,206,294 times
New Hyde Park is very nice. We actually just sold my wifes uncles house in the Lakeville estates area for $535k, and the house needed about $100k worth of work. The area is excellent. It is near parkways, shopping and hospitals. There are a lot of doctors and nurses and hospital personal living in the area.

The house was between Marcus Blvd and Hillside avenue off of New Hyde Park road.

There are two school districts in the area. New Hyde Park - Garden City park and Great Neck. Supposedly Great Neck is more desirable, because the taxes are lower on homes and peoplesay the schools are better, but we did extensive research since our house was in garden city park, new hyde park schools and found out that Garden city park - new hyde park is better than great neck according to the gardes on the newsdays school website.

If your looking in New hyde park, try to stay in the lakeville estates section...More expensive but more desirable too

Old 07-05-2007, 06:50 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
New Hyde Park is a very safe area. As far as family oriented it is not the same as it was in the 70s and early 80s when I lived there. New Hyde Park is actually split between four different school districts: New Hyde Park-Garden City Park, Herricks, a small part I think does go to Great Neck and there is even a very small part of NHP that is in Queens. There are plenty of very nice neighborhoods throughout NHP, but home prices are very high. Also, most homes are at least 40 to 60 years old - meaning lots of expensive TLC.
There is new construction. Older homes are now being torn down and massive new homes are being built costing at least a million. This is what is killing NHP's once family oriented neighborhoods. I mean, who has 3 or 4 kids anymore and can afford a home there. Most of the people who buy homes in NHP are older (in their 40s) dual income professionals with no kids or one kid at most, maybe two. When I was kid the Irish and Italians typically had a minimum of three kids and often four or five. There were kids everywhere in the summer. Now its like a ghost town.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:50 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Basically all of New Hyde Park is good. Don't buy anything near the LIRR tracks until its formally decided how much property they will talke to add another rail.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM

244 posts, read 669,097 times
I live in a small section of New Hyde Park that is actually in the ELMONT School District. I hear the elementary school (stewart Manor) is good but all the other surrounding schools in the Elmont / Central High School district are really bad in terms of student performance.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with New Hyde Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1 View Post
A friend of mine is thinking of buying into New Hyde Park.

New Hyde Park can be very confusing as more than 8 out of every 10 places with a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address are NOT in New Hyde Park (the Village of New Hyde Park is 531 acres and the "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code postal zone is 3,339 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with New Hyde Park:

New Hyde Park is a village (incorporated in 1927) partly in the southwest part of the Town of North Hempstead and partly in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of New Hyde Park in the Towns of North Hempstead and Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park in the Town of North Hempstead; on the east by the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park and the Hamlet of Garden City Park in the Town of North Hempstead and the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead; on the south by the Village of Garden City, the Village of Stewart Manor and the Village of Floral Park in the Town of Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Floral Park in the Towns of North Hempstead and Hempstead.

New Hyde Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places that have the community name in their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park are in:

....Village of Lake Success, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of North Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Herricks, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Garden City Park, Town of North Hempstead

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/New-hyde-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
QUOTES BASED ON GOOD CREDIT HISTORY

30 year fixed 5.5
15 year fix 4.875

Low/reduced documentation loans
Cash out refinances
Residential /commercial/investment properties

davidanderson@finishlinefunding.com
Thanks, you're not welcome on this board, oh spam-a-lam-a-ding-dong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island