Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:38 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

Hi... what trains go out there and how long does it take to get into Manhattan on average? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode12 View Post
I've had a few friends recently (young, 30-ish) sell their co-ops and move out of LB mainly because the commute *off* LB to elsewhere (work, friends) was too long. It can be congested and LB is really off the beaten path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 12:45 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
Default Demographics

So, is there one group that dominates in particular? Would non-Jewish people feel out of place? Would a child-free couple be comfortable there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkerGal View Post
Yeah, there are a lot of Chassidic Jews living in Long Beach. And a very small Modern Orthodox community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
There are quite alot of nursing homes and assisted living residences there. Families, black, white, hispanic, asian, orthodox jews....everyone lives in Long Beach.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:14 AM

137 posts, read 744,010 times
The Long Island Rail Road goes to Manhattan and it takes about 40 minutes from LB. As far as the jewish population, I think we answered that already. You would NOT feel out of place.
Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 AM

82 posts, read 541,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
The Long Island Rail Road goes to Manhattan and it takes about 40 minutes from LB. As far as the jewish population, I think we answered that already. You would NOT feel out of place.
Good Luck!
Ditto on both points.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:45 PM

92 posts, read 476,449 times
Years ago my sister and I along with our girlfriends would take the LIRR to Long Beach to visit our grandmother who lived across the street from the beach. We would walk for miles on the boardwalk down to the arcade and play skiball then spend hours on the rides.We then walked another few miles to our cousins who lived on June Walk. We would go across the street to the pier and go fishing. I remember the great times we had and all the walking we did. Now I live in Houston,Texas and no one walks here unless they are exercising.Some people won't go to the store unless the parking is right up to the door. I do miss the boardwalk and seasonal change of weather. I feel my kids are missing something by not being able to play in snow. Here we get floods that can sweep away a lot of homes but I am still trying to adjust(after 29 years).

Old 07-27-2007, 04:53 AM

68 posts, read 197,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
The Long Island Rail Road goes to Manhattan and it takes about 40 minutes from LB.
As a daily commuter from LB on the LIRR I can tell you it does not take 40 minutes.

The train ride is advertised from 53 to 57 minutes. A 7:04 AM train is advertised to arrive in Penn at 7:57.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r5020 View Post
As a daily commuter from LB on the LIRR I can tell you it does not take 40 minutes.

The train ride is advertised from 53 to 57 minutes. A 7:04 AM train is advertised to arrive in Penn at 7:57.

Astonishingly fast for 20 miles.

LIRR sucks.

They need fewer stops and faster service ASAP.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
The bulk of the time is spent at all the stops between Valley Stream & Long Beach. The trip from Penn to VS is pretty quick especially if you get the express that doesn't stop at Woodside etc. Still, its the best travel for the money.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 AM

18 posts, read 59,292 times
Thumbs up Long Beach is a great place to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlwag View Post
Long beach is really nice...there are great restaurants, new co-ops, private homes...my husband is from there and we go there alot for dinner...of course there is the beach which is beautiful...people live there all year round...there is a supermarket there, an ice skating rink, town pool, LIRR, ginos pizza...it is a great place to live,

definitely religious diversity exists, there is a west end and an east end, a bay side and an ocean side...I have only good to say for Long beach except the public schools are questionable...I would not move there and put my kids in the public schools, there is no doubt I would put them in private schools...but that is just my opinion!!! good luck

This post was definitely a good description of Long Beach.

However the elementary schools are not bad.
The problem starts around the middle school or high school level.

Ginos Pizza is great!!

The thing that I like about Long Beach is that there is everything you need in close proximity...stores, schools, hospital, pharmacy, recreation center, library, supermarkets, fast food, LIRR etc.

If I had to pick one pitfall is PARKING!! This situation will only get worse once the new construction in Long Beach is completed.

If you would like more detailed information feel free to pm me.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:33 AM

18 posts, read 59,292 times
City Chik

Long Beach has a diverse population. A non Jewish person will definitely not feel out of place here.

The Lirr into Manhattan is about 50-55 minutes. This train does not make too many stops compared to some of the other lines.

This line should definitely have more trains going into Manhattan. But I'd rather take an hour ride on the LIRR then the subway!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island