Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,082 times

Advertisements

I have lived in NYC and LI and can say that if your house is on fire the FDNY will be there in about a minute (fire engine with water) to help you. On LI, your house will be in ashes before any equipment with water arrives. That is the truth. If you watch the local station News 12, you will see the news crews actually filming before any fire personnel are on the scene. I have great respect for the volunteers and realize they mean well but the bottom line is that the system is flawed. A 20 minute response for a fire or medical emergency is unacceptable no matter how you look at it or what your point of view is. When lives are at stake we must have the best service possible. Having a 16 year old kid and his grandfather show up after 20 minutes is something Nassau and Suffolk counties should be seriously looking at. It is common sense. And also, save the 9/11 "I'm a hero" stories. I was there too and dug in the rubble. Thank you for showing up and being on standby on the Queens side of the tunnel.

Last edited by RMP559; 02-14-2018 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 PM

20,167 posts, read 20,945,478 times
8 years later. Whatever.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,508,223 times
The firefighters here in Baldwin haul ass

Old 02-15-2018, 05:03 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,508,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP559 View Post
I have lived in NYC and LI and can say that if your house is on fire the FDNY will be there in about a minute (fire engine with water) to help you. On LI, your house will be in ashes before any equipment with water arrives. That is the truth. If you watch the local station News 12, you will see the news crews actually filming before any fire personnel are on the scene. I have great respect for the volunteers and realize they mean well but the bottom line is that the system is flawed. A 20 minute response for a fire or medical emergency is unacceptable no matter how you look at it or what your point of view is. When lives are at stake we must have the best service possible. Having a 16 year old kid and his grandfather show up after 20 minutes is something Nassau and Suffolk counties should be seriously looking at. It is common sense. And also, save the 9/11 "I'm a hero" stories. I was there too and dug in the rubble. Thank you for showing up and being on standby on the Queens side of the tunnel.
That's a little insensitive,a firefighter from my LI town died on 9/11.

I actually know firefighters and spend some time in firehouses, at least over here there is no way the average wait time is even close to 20 minutes.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,407,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The firefighters here in Baldwin haul ass
I think anyone who volunteers to put their life in danger to help someone else should be commended and has my utmost respect.

I think LI has great fire departments. Luckily I have never personally needed them but people I know have. To a previous posters point, they are volunteers - so they are doing it b/c they are passionate about it not because they need to pay the bills.

Do I think alcohol should be allowed in fire houses? Sure, as long as they are drinking responsibly. We drink on my job... every Thursday we have an hour where everyone steps away from their desks and drinks for an hour. Now granted, I am not in a 'life-saving' profession, but I do handle millions of dollars for other people day in & day out.

I don't think we should really take away the privilege of alcohol for people who are VOLUNTEERING for something good. Remember: they are not paid. They deserve the privilege to unwind a little... as we all do.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,082 times
They do a fantastic job once they show up. You will get a Chief on the scene in minutes, but there is not much he can do while your house is burning down or God forbid someone is trapped inside. 15 to 20 minutes is on average how long you will wait for an engine to arrive. I know this to be true because I have been on the scene of many fires in Long Island and timed the response. When lives are at stake, every second counts. We need a paid fire department to get a 2 minute response like in NYC. I wouldn't mind my taxes increasing for the chance of saving more lives. The volunteers are very good and dedicated people and have my respect. The problem is not them, it is an antiquated, flawed system.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:10 AM

290 posts, read 584,124 times
while the system *is* horribly flawed, I've been to dozens of fires throughout the county, and it's never, EVER taken twenty minutes.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,044,539 times
Maybe not 20 min but what type of response are you getting? 3 geriatrics and a kid home from school. Ever wonder why it takes a 5 fire department response and all they save is the foundation? For what long islanders pay for a volunteer service we could actually have a full time professional department. The volley lobby is strong though. They don’t want to lose their million dollar parade pieces, Taj Mahal firehouses and puffy jackets to walk around with in the mall.

P.S. Full time EMS is LONG overdue around here, that’s the lions share of the emergencies anyway.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:48 PM

20,167 posts, read 20,945,478 times
Please. No paid fire departments here. Horrible horrible idea.
Massive barrel of taxpayer worms would be kicked over.
I don't need my taxes going up any more on top of the existing yearly increases.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,044,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Please. No paid fire departments here. Horrible horrible idea.
Massive barrel of taxpayer worms would be kicked over.
I don't need my taxes going up any more on top of the existing yearly increases.
Newsflash Karl, you’re already paying through the nose and getting a subpar product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island