Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM

123 posts, read 567,777 times

Advertisements

We went to an open house and saw a house we like. We currently don't have an agent, do I need a realtor to pursue the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Not necessarily.

Was the open house done by the seller's agent? If so, you would then need to contact this agent to place your bid.

Was the open house done by the owner? If so, you would then contact the seller directly to place your bid.

You will need a lawyer once your bid, or subsequent bid, is accepted.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM

123 posts, read 567,777 times
The open house was shown by the owner's agent. If I don't have an agent then the owner have a advantage because no one is working on my side.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Represent yourself w/ a lawyer taking care of the paperwork. You can cut back 1.5% of the sale price which would be represented as commission for the buyers agent.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny826 View Post
The open house was shown by the owner's agent. If I don't have an agent then the owner have a advantage because no one is working on my side.
Most buyers do not have a buyer's agent and only need a lawyer after their bid is accepted by the seller through his, the seller's, agent.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Represent yourself w/ a lawyer taking care of the paperwork. You can cut back 1.5% of the sale price which would be represented as commission for the buyers agent.
Would you care to explain that in more detail, please?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny826 View Post
We went to an open house and saw a house we like. We currently don't have an agent, do I need a realtor to pursue the house?

If you plan on saving on the commission - you won't. You can work with the listing agent of course, but you'd still "have an agent"; only in this case, the (seller's) agent is most definitely working for the seller, not you.

Especially if you are a first time homebuyer, IMHO "going it alone" is not a good idea.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
ahem - "seller's concession"... easy now with that "cut back" talk. It matters how it's phrased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If you plan on saving on the commission - you won't. You can work with the listing agent of course, but you'd still "have an agent"; only in this case, the (seller's) agent is most definitely working for the seller, not you.

Especially if you are a first time homebuyer, IMHO "going it alone" is not a good idea.
How are you going it "alone" when you have a RE attorney?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Most buyers do not have a buyer's agent and only need a lawyer after their bid is accepted by the seller through his, the seller's, agent.
Actually, Walter, I've noticed that more and more buyers are using Buyer Agents - they've come to realize the value of having someone working/negotiating on their behalf instead of the seller's.
And the attorney deals only with contract related matters. They don't arrange for inspections, follow-up, are present for appraisals, etc., etc. Those that will agree to it, charge an hourly fee...

Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Actually, Walter, I've noticed that more and more buyers are using Buyer Agents ...
Elke, what's your best guess as to what percentage of all buyers are now using a buyer's agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island