Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 19,572 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to a house in Levittown where the boiler is in the middle of the house. The boiler is enclosed in a closet sized space under the stairs, and the doors to the space are folding doors.

The doors do not offer much in reducing the noise of the boiler. I know that I cannot get rid of the noise completely, but I have been looking into installing solid doors instead to at least reduce the noise considerably.

Does anyone have suggestions or a similar set up and give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
A boiler needs air to operate properly.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 19,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
A boiler needs air to operate properly.
There's actually a smaller door under the stairway that opens up to the kitchen. I have been told that there is sufficient air that comes in through that opening. If that is indeed an issue, I should get my money back from the home inspection company that looked through the house before I bought it.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM

98 posts, read 774,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircann View Post
I should get my money back from the home inspection company that looked through the house before I bought it.
Good luck with that! not to mention the fact that they put a disclaimer with each report. -No one is perfect, but some of the inspectors don't even try....and by the time you find out- it's too late to do anything.

btw this don't apply to Kb

Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
Can you cut a vent into the floor to supply the fresh air? These homes don't have basements, they have crawl spaces underneath - correct?

I have also seen some Levitt homes where the furnace has been moved to the attached garage.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Did you look into how much it would cost to move it out to the garage space? Our levitt ranch was like that and we were thankful. When people were trekking through comparing while buying they said that was a big plus so maybe it's worth the investment.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Solid door with a vent. That's what I did. I think by code it's supposed to be fire resistant as well, that could vary by town though I guess. I installed a raised panel exterior door that matches the other doors in the house and I cut the opening and installed the vent. Works great.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,207 times
use a solid pine door and screw sheet metal on the side facing the boiler...reduces noise and would be fire resistant...

Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 AM

294 posts, read 878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Did you look into how much it would cost to move it out to the garage space? Our levitt ranch was like that and we were thankful. When people were trekking through comparing while buying they said that was a big plus so maybe it's worth the investment.
Definitely the best move for a Levit ranch (where the burner is attached to the kitchen fireplace) but it sounds as if the OP has purchased a Levit cape with the burner under the staircase. In this case, there are few options, if any, for moving the burner.
In my Levit cape, we had a panel custom made (to match our kitchen cabinets) in a triangular shape, which attaches to the underside of the stairs with strong magnets. You would never know our burner was under there. There was enough open space underneath for ventilation. We certainly got used to the sound, which really isn't that bad considering the cover was solid oak (with fireproof materials attached to the back of the panel). When the oil company repairmen came, we would remove the panel and they would service the burner from the space under the stairs. Pretty tight, but they really never complained. They were used to seeing this in many Levit homes.
Recently, we needed to replace one of the heads (we have 3 zones) and it could not be reached from under the staircase. So we had to open the back wall (near the bathroom) and add a door. Messy job, but it was inevitable. We are adding fire retardant material to the back of a raised panel door and now we have immediate access in case of an emergency. The vented area still exists on the kitchen side of the burner area.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
For town of Brookhaven, you need to have a door that is fireproof around the boiler. It vents on the top and bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: