Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,326,495 times

Advertisements

^^^
I lived in E. Rockaway once, but it was over 10 years ago. I don't recall any smells from the treatment plant and I was on a street very close to Denton.

I have friends that live there, slightly south of Atlantic Avenue (on one of the streets near The Fishery restaurant). I will ask them if they smell any odors from the treatment plant and let you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 PM

22 posts, read 69,852 times
I would really appreciate it, thank you!!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM

654 posts, read 2,122,169 times
I think he or she is referring to the odor from low tide. Not from the treatment plant. I lived in ER since I was 4 up until a few years ago. I never smelled the plant.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:54 PM

87 posts, read 228,074 times
i'd be your neighbor.. live 2 houses down from denton on phipps, the street that it intersects with. no need to worry about the plant at all. if there is a negative, its the traffic the train creates in the morning and evenings, on both the ocean ave AND atlantic avenue sides.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,444,672 times
I lived on Second Avenue for 5 years. I found East Rockaway (particularly the part closest to Bay Park) smelly. Something about that sewage plant in the park....I don't know but some days it was unbearable. For the most part, the people are low/working class whites - recently I've noticed a small, but growing, number of Hispanics and Blacks. There is a nice part of E. Rockaway, but it is located in Lynbrook Public Schools, but I don't think that's the part you're referring to...Another point: The town of E. Rockaway doesn't have a very attractive downtown area...you'll be traveling to Oceanside or Lynbrook for shopping.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,705,122 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Bay Park in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I lived on Second Avenue for 5 years.
A map of the Hamlet of Bay Park in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/Bay-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Bay Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Bay Park have an "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 13,065 times
Torn between oceanside and lynbrook. Looking for advice on which town is better to raise a family. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM

225 posts, read 716,254 times
I've lived my entire life in East Rockaway...my advice to you is to look elsewhere.

Here are my comments:

1. The schools aren't THAT great...the majority of kids in the Jr/Sr high school are involved with heavy drugs and they start young since you have 7th graders mixed in with the older kids who are already involved in it. That's why a lot of parents swallow the fact that they pay through the nose in taxes and then have to send their kids to private school. If you drive past St. Raymond's school in the AM, look across the street and you'll see a HUGE hoard of Catholic school kids waiting for busing.

2. The town is overly controlled politically by Republicans...Town Councilman Anthony Santino is a resident of ER, so everything revolves around him and his people.

3. There's a lot of white trash in East Rockaway, more so in the Bay Park area. Go to Pathmark on a Saturday morning or visit Hewlett Point Beach and you'll know what I'm talking about.

4. FLOODING, FLOODING, FLOODING.

5. Did I mention taxes?

One of the only perks living in ER is the commute to NYC...There's a bunch of express trains that run that will get you into Penn Station in just about 40 minutes.

I'd look into Lynbrook or Oceanside personally. They have better schools, there's more things to do, and you're not living in a one square mile town where everyone knows everyone and is involved in everyone else's business.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,326,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie24 View Post
Torn between oceanside and lynbrook. Looking for advice on which town is better to raise a family. Thanks!
I would pick Oceanside.

Reason being, more reasonable property taxes (if any property taxes in Nassau can even be called "reasonable").

Lynbrook is very nice, but the Village taxes have gone through the roof (average $3-$5K on top of the County/Town/School District taxes).

Even if you are in Lynbrook and zoned for the lower-performing Malverne SD 12 instead of the high performing Lynbrook 20 SD, you still pay high Village taxes and high County/Town/SD taxes. Why throw money away?

If you get your heart set on Lynbrook for some reason, I would say buy in Lynbrook SD 20, since it's one of the highest performing SDs on the south shore and is good for your kids and should be good for future resale value (at least it rates high so hopefully if you look to sell in the future you won't get objections from buyers as to "why are the property taxes so high for this school district?").

Oceanside is a much better buy in terms of property taxes and the SD is fine too.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 44,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie24 View Post
I live on the East Rockaway/Lynbrook border and in SD 20. I don't know much about the Oceanside School District but Lynbrook is a good school. There is a herion problem all over LI (but where is there not a drug problem) but to say most kids take drugs is overstating it. I like Lynbrook and have no reservations recommending the town to prospective residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island