Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,426 times

Advertisements

After reading many of these threads, the question that stands out in my mind has to do with the "good" areas on Long Island. So many areas that I thought were very nice (i.e. Port Jeff Village) are looking not as ideal.

When we looked for a house, we became familiar with many areas on LI and looked at houses all over the place. We didn't have a set location in mind so we were looking from the beginning of Nassau all the way out to Stony Brook. I developed some opinions and tried to use my best judgment and we finally settled on something. But, eventually I do want to move. Where though?

To those who say that Long Island isn't safe, is getting bad, etc, where is it ok to live on Long Island where you don't have to worry about gangs, where there aren't drugs being sold on the streets in broad daylight, where the area isn't in the process of "changing" into somewhere you wouldn't want to live in five to ten years.

Which areas are safe? :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,146 times
Good thread. I want to know the same thing. Because my husband was thinking we should try to move waaay out east on North Fork. IDK if I could do that though.

I'll name a few off the top of my head that I definitely think will still be okay in 10 years (not saying these towns are perfect, but gang free and relatively safe):

IMO, Stony Brook, E. Setauket, Setauket, St. James, Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford, Plainview, Jericho, Manhasset, Mattituck, Laurel, Massapequa (Massapequa SD not E. Massapequa). Just a few that come to mind.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:35 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Good thread. I want to know the same thing. Because my husband was thinking we should try to move waaay out east on North Fork. IDK if I could do that though.

I'll name a few off the top of my head that I definitely think will still be okay in 10 years (not saying these towns are perfect, but gang free and relatively safe):

IMO, Stony Brook, E. Setauket, Setauket, St. James, Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford, Plainview, Jericho, Manhasset, Mattituck, Laurel, Massapequa (Massapequa SD not E. Massapequa). Just a few that come to mind.
Here's my list:

Cold Spring Harbor, Garden City, Old Field, Stony Brook (village area), West Hills, Muttontown, Jericho, Syosset, South Merrick, Asharoken, Brookville, Eatons Neck, Head of Harbor, Laurel Hollow, Nissequogue, Roslyn, Woodbury..I'm sure I'm missing areas.

Now, these are all very expensive areas with entry prices of around 700k minimum. What are you supposed to do if you can't afford this? So only the wealthy can live in a "safe" area?

When we finally settled on a house, we bought the worst house in the best area and figured in ten years, we will try to improve on what we have.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Some of my friends and neighbors in Stony Brook, E Setauket & Setauket (including Strongs Neck, Old Field and Poquott) leave their doors unlocked. I could never imagine deliberately doing that, although I have been guilty of forgetting to the lock the door at my house in Stony Brook. My office is in Setauket; one time I forgot to lock the door and went on vacation! Not a single problem.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Here's my list:

Cold Spring Harbor, Garden City, Old Field, Stony Brook (village area), West Hills, Muttontown, Jericho, Syosset, South Merrick, Asharoken, Brookville, Eatons Neck, Head of Harbor, Laurel Hollow, Nissequogue, Roslyn, Woodbury..I'm sure I'm missing areas.

Now, these are all very expensive areas with entry prices of around 700k minimum. What are you supposed to do if you can't afford this? So only the wealthy can live in a "safe" area?

When we finally settled on a house, we bought the worst house in the best area and figured in ten years, we will try to improve on what we have.
Stony Brook Village has a real mix of housing. There are homes on the side streets and along Christian under $500K, and a few I know of under $400K.
Granted they will need work, might have small lots. But for someone wanting to get into a nice area, they are a way to get one's foot in the door.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Bee,

You snob, lol! Only "village" area of SB? C'mon, admit that it's safe in all of Stony Brook, even though it may not be the "charming" section. Levitt homes, but they're still in a great neighborhood.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Bee,

You snob, lol! Only "village" area of SB? C'mon, admit that it's safe in all of Stony Brook, even though it may not be the "charming" section. Levitt homes, but they're still in a great neighborhood.
Moi, le snob? LOL! JDMBA wrote village....I merely highlighted it with relation to the $700K pricetag she put out there.

I'm more partial to the village area because I like the mix of houses and the historic district. I grew up in Levittown and Massapequa living in developments so for me, when looking for a house a big priority was no developments.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
...Massapequa (Massapequa SD not E. Massapequa).
Three-quarters or so of East Massapequa is in the Massapequa Union Free School District.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm referring to when you search the MLS. If you put in East Massapequa the homes are zoned for Amityville.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Bee, I hear you. I had a lot of friends from Levittown who couldn't escape "cookie cutter" fast enough. I love the oldies as well, my folks live near you from what I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island