Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Demographically western Long Island IS pretty much NYC: don't forget Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, and even further out like in Masspequa has alot of Italian New Yorkers. I think only in the more rural/villagey parts like the Hamptons do you get the 'waspy/country club' vibe of Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Demographically western Long Island IS pretty much NYC: don't forget Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, and even further out like in Masspequa has alot of Italian New Yorkers. I think only in the more rural/villagey parts like the Hamptons do you get the 'waspy/country club' vibe of Connecticut.

You hit it on the mark the best. Dan's Paper has written that the eastern Pine Barrens is the imaginary line and state of mind between the English/New England/East End and the Dutch/New York/Upisland.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
You hit it on the mark the best. Dan's Paper has written that the eastern Pine Barrens is the imaginary line and state of mind between the English/New England/East End and the Dutch/New York/Upisland.
Western Pine Barrens?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Western Pine Barrens?

The Brentwood area was once a large pine barren area. Hence the name Pine Aire. It still reaches all the way up into Commack.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM

31 posts, read 52,691 times
I just came across this post by accident doing a Google search, but I wanna comment on this.

I would say a lot of the north shore on Long Island and certainly the east end stretching out toward Montauk (probably because back when NYC belonged to the Dutch, the Bonac East Hampton area was part of New England) definitely resembles New England quite a bit. But it is not New England in terms of classification. I guess from what I can see online, New York state as a whole is considered to be a "Mid Atlantic" state (I could never understand this, that just sounds so stupid because it's more north if anything, but whatever) located in the Northeast Census Region (along with the New England division, of course).

No, we are NOT considered to be New England, though, the parts of Long Island that I mentioned, a few nice towns upstate in the Hudson Valley region, and a couple more towns outside of those (but are like more run-down sad bootleg versions of New England) bear resemblance.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
As far as I know and what i've heard opinion-wise over the years, these are the New England states-Conn, Mass, RI, VT, NH, Maine. Other people have told me they don't count VT & NH.I do agree about the north fork too. As you get past southold into greenport and east marion, it does have a new england look and feel.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
NY is not Mid Atlantic
By definition, NY is considered northeast 'AND mid-atlantic by cartographers. When they place new york in surveys and mid atlantic is a choice, it is always grouped with Pennsylvania.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Other people have told me they don't count VT & NH.

Are they off their rocker? Those two states along with Maine scream New England. Especially New Hampshire. If those two states aren't "New England", then there is no such thing as "New England". It's almost like saying that the Ramones aren't a punk rock band or pizza isn't delicious. It just makes no sense.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Beagle View Post
Are they off their rocker? Those two states along with Maine scream New England. Especially New Hampshire. If those two states aren't "New England", then there is no such thing as "New England". It's almost like saying that the Ramones aren't a punk rock band or pizza isn't delicious. It just makes no sense.
The reason why people sometimes exclude them is because of what they are. Both have many ski areas. Both are pretty much desolate states with a little business but not necessarily the same styles of homes and scenery as a Maine, RI or Mass and obviously not too many rich, snobby areas.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The reason why people sometimes exclude them is because of what they are. Both have many ski areas. Both are pretty much desolate states with a little business but not necessarily the same styles of homes and scenery as a Maine, RI or Mass and obviously not too many rich, snobby areas.

Yeah, I guess the homes look a bit poorer and such. But I just think of all of the the other stuff. The way those two states light up in the month of October with the fall foliage, and the white steeple church like towns in Vermont, and towns in New Hampshire like "Meredith", and the tiny house covered bridges...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island