Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:31 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,472,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I do think a lot of the National Media tend to be a bit too London focused. I sometimes feel as though the UK is some kind of a wasteland outside of London if one believes London based journalists...

For example reviews of restaurants, plays, cultural events always seem to focus on London when there is actually a rich and diverse cultural life in the "provinces". You would think we provincials live in backwater Papua New Guinea looking at the frequency of some journalists' foray into the "wild"....

It is a shame because the UK is indeed very varied and has distinct regions ( though the regions are not as distinct as they perhaps are on the Continent where there seems a lot more in terms of very specific cultural, culinary, linguistic differences ).

The National Media can be truly blinkered as to the rest of the UK and I also get a bit tired of all the "cliches" when they mention certain regions. For example the North seems to mainly elicit stories about poverty,crime, and unemployment which I feel is not terribly fair nor representative...
You beat me to it on that point!

If you read the Torygraph, sorry, Telegraph, you'd sometimes think that all outside the Home Counties just doesn't exist or is there as a plaything for those in the South East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 AM

13,679 posts, read 20,816,033 times
Probably inevitable as London is the political, financial and I reckon the cultural capital of the UK.

In the States, the political capital is DC, the financial capital New York and the cultural capital is split between New York and LA with several other places contributing.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,326,714 times
Probably inevitable. I don't like the fact that most railways in my county only go in and out of London. But when you think of the financial subsidy The City provides to the regions, and the vast number who commute there every day, it's not surprising.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 AM

20 posts, read 33,420 times
Absolutely, as someone who grew up in Manchester, then lived in London for 18 years and moved back to Manchester, the UK is very,very London centred.
If you live in the provinces, most people think of moving to London. That doesn't happen in places like France, Germany, Spain, Italy. They don't all think of moving to the Capital.
The BBC is totally London biased even though it has pathetic regional centres.
People always bang on about how the US is not interested much in the rest of the world.
Well let me tell you that its the same with people who live in London, they are not interested at all in the rest of the UK.
Its not that London is such a great place to live either. Its crowded, busy, low quality of life (unless you like restaurants) and anonymous. But some people like that.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 AM

105 posts, read 236,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlol View Post
Absolutely, as someone who grew up in Manchester, then lived in London for 18 years and moved back to Manchester, the UK is very,very London centred.
If you live in the provinces, most people think of moving to London. That doesn't happen in places like France, Germany, Spain, Italy. They don't all think of moving to the Capital.
The BBC is totally London biased even though it has pathetic regional centres.
People always bang on about how the US is not interested much in the rest of the world.
Well let me tell you that its the same with people who live in London, they are not interested at all in the rest of the UK.
Its not that London is such a great place to live either. Its crowded, busy, low quality of life (unless you like restaurants) and anonymous. But some people like that.
Agree 100% with this post.

Why do people still think that the streets of London are paved with Gold.

It's grotty and one of the worse cities in the world.

If London get 1 inch of snow it's headline news yet places like Newcastle ,Manchester can get 10 inches of snow and it's never metiond on the News.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM

161 posts, read 474,789 times
Er... the BBC may be building a new centre in Salford, but wild horses will not drag London employees there, for the simple reason that Salford is a slum, a dump, whatever... and btw, most Londoners consider the world outside London to barely exist.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
Er... the BBC may be building a new centre in Salford, but wild horses will not drag London employees there, for the simple reason that Salford is a slum, a dump, whatever... and btw, most Londoners consider the world outside London to barely exist.
Which is interesting given that a great many of them come from outside London.

I lived in London for a year and hated it.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 AM

10,218 posts, read 17,923,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
Um, the BBC is not being built in the slums. It's on the Salford Quays which is a very nice, very desirable area and if Londoners actually saw some of the residental areas on the Quays they'd be more than willing to move here, especially considering I heard the BBC will be paying for their housing for the first 6 months or so.
The Quays

ETA: That said, if Londoners won't move up here, that just means more jobs for Salford/Manchester dwellers so I'm not complaining. If Londoners want to miss out on one of the most desirable places to live (last year I read an article in the paper about how it's the 5th most desirable place to live in the country) then it's their loss.

Last edited by PA2UK; 03-31-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 AM

20 posts, read 33,420 times
Salford Quays is a regeneration area and has had a huge amount of money invested in it. It was an unpleasant place at one time. The BBC need to get a move on and move to Salford. In fact if I was the Governor General, I would close down the whole BBC in London and move it all to Salford and not just 5 Live. With the amount of taxpayers money they receive they need to put something back into the UK and not just hide in London on the gravy train. BBC employees are geographical snobs and need a kick up the backside.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 AM

10,218 posts, read 17,923,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlol View Post
Salford Quays is a regeneration area and has had a huge amount of money invested in it. It was an unpleasant place at one time.
I wouldn't say unpleasant but it was an industrial dock yard so it was simply a product of it's purpose.

Quote:
The BBC need to get a move on and move to Salford.
They're certainly working on it at a good speed. The buildings are shooting up like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London