Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM

34 posts, read 130,649 times

Advertisements

Just as the title says. I am about to be departing on a 10 day trip, beginning in Cork, Ireland, and it concludes in London. The last day of my tour, we are allowed to explore London as we please and part of our tour includes a pass for the underground for the day.

So, being as this is going to be my first visit to London, what should I visit? What would be most worth my while? I will be there on April 6. I love history, and I know there's no shortage of that to be found in London, but what will be well worth it without having to stand in huge lines? What in London is there to do that is worth waiting in line for in your opinions? Originally our plans included going to see the Chelsea FC game but it was rescheduled to Sunday and we now will not be able to go see the game.

I really appreciate any replies, I just want to feel like I can make the most of my day in London. If you could even go as far to recommend which stops of the underground are best to get off at to see certain attractions, that would be wonderful. The day before we get to roam the city we will be taking a guided tour of the city by bus, which I imagine will include many of the most famous spots. I just want to know what the best thing for a first-timer to London would be to do. I'm open for almost anything really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
My thoughts are that many of the iconic sights are within a relatively small area.

Forget the underground and get onto the open top bus tours.

Do a Google search and a few pop up.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,869 times
Here's an itinerary that gives you the opportunity to see several famous London sights without being overly rushed.

Take the underground to Charing Cross. This will bring you up at Trafalgar Square (Nelson's Column). At the edge of Trafalgar Square is the National Gallery (art museum). Just around the corner is St. Martin in the Fields Church. If you're there around lunch time you might catch a free recital.

So far you haven't done much walking (unless you've thoroughly explored the National Gallery)! Just down the road is The Mall and just around the corner from there is Horseguards Parade (changing of the colour). Right around there you will find the Cabinet War Rooms which are the underground rooms where Churchill ran WWII - the rooms remain untouched since the war ended. I can't recommend it enough if you're the slightest bit interested in that sort of thing.

St. James's Park is right across the road, well worth a wander through if the weather is remotely kind and you can walk across to Buckingham Palace and St. James's Palace.

You are also close to the Thames River so, if you still have time and energy you can take a stroll along the Embankment and perhaps take a boat ride on the river.

These are just a few of the sights you can see within this small area of London. There are plenty of others if you want to have a 'flat out' day.

Hope you have a great day in London!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
My favorite place to visit in London is the Tower of London. I could spend many hours there, it's just fascinating!

(...or you can go stand near the lions in Trafalgar Square and hold a bag of pidgeon feed in your hands and see what happens..........) LOL!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 AM

490 posts, read 682,507 times
Go on the London Eye (the big wheel). It's just over Westminster Bridge from Big Ben. You'll see most of London from up there.

Considering you're only there for a day I can't think of a better way to see so much in half an hour.

The previous suggestions here are good too.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
Second British National Gallery etc. I spent my day in British Museum as I love history as well and was disappointed. Nice to have seen it though.

The Egyptian section and that part of the museum was great. The english, dark ages, middle ages,etc part was no more than I had seen on NatGEO.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Go on the London Eye (the big wheel). It's just over Westminster Bridge from Big Ben. You'll see most of London from up there.
Another vote for the Eye, and walking along the Thames. Go over Westminster Bridge, and stop in at the Houses of Parliament. No sessions on Saturday (I think), but worth a tour if they have them. Next, Parliament Square -- look for the statue of Lincoln. And most of all Westminster Abbey. Such an historic place!!! Then find a local pub and have a late lunch.

Then take the Tube to Tower Hill (or for more fun, a water taxi). Tour the Tower of London, then walk across Tower Bridge. You can tour this if you want as well.

OR, walk to Trafalgar Square and see the other posts for what it offers.

You may just want to chose 1 thing to do in the morning, afternoon, and evening, with meals in between. You may see less, but experience more. So much history to be soaked up just by walking around the city! You may see many things from the bus tour, but they're worth exploring up close.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Another vote for the Eye, and walking along the Thames. Go over Westminster Bridge, and stop in at the Houses of Parliament. No sessions on Saturday (I think), but worth a tour if they have them. Next, Parliament Square -- look for the statue of Lincoln. And most of all Westminster Abbey. Such an historic place!!! Then find a local pub and have a late lunch.

Then take the Tube to Tower Hill (or for more fun, a water taxi). Tour the Tower of London, then walk across Tower Bridge. You can tour this if you want as well.

OR, walk to Trafalgar Square and see the other posts for what it offers.

You may just want to chose 1 thing to do in the morning, afternoon, and evening, with meals in between. You may see less, but experience more. So much history to be soaked up just by walking around the city! You may see many things from the bus tour, but they're worth exploring up close.
I agree the Houses Of Parliament are an impressive landmark and you can easily take a nice stroll to the London Eye from there. On Saturdays they do guided tours between the hours of 9:30am and 4:30pm.

I've been in the bar during the week and it is an environment I could only describe as the kind of place an alcoholic would dream of if he were to rub a genie's lamp and really hit the jackpot. A real haven for hardened drinkers for sure but what a fascinating place to visit.

When I went there one rather festive Liberal Democrat MP couldn't believe that I'd never sought access to this gilded sanctuary before. In my heavy drinking days I probably would have spent far more time there but the drinking culture is much bigger than the British public realise though it may have changed since the last time I was there (though recent events involving Joyce would suggest otherwise).

I have to confess I did laugh when I read this 'No sessions on Saturday (I think), but worth a tour if they have them.'

Sessions on Saturday. I have a close friend who works in the House Of Commons and I can assure you that for a large chunk of the year you'd be lucky if they showed up during the week.

Not sure how it works in the Philly burbs but that's how it works here. And don't get me started on the House Of Lords.

Great suggestions so far though.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Knowing your starting point could help to plan an outing, but in general, I'd head in the following direction...

Starting with the Marble Arch (tube) and Speakers Corner, where Oxford St becomes Bayswater Rd, I'd head for a stroll through Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, my exit point being the southeast point at Hyde Park Corner (tube). From there take a walk across Green Park to Queen Victoria Memorial Gardens for your view of Buckingham Palace. If you choose to cross the road for a closer view of the palace BE AWARE... there may be fast moving traffic, cross at your own risk.

From there take the Birdcage Walk towards the Thames where you'll see Westminster Abbey and Parliament. If you've seen a changing of the Guard, you can follow them to Horse Guards Rd., then on to Parliament and Westminster Abbey. You'll also be near the London Eye but before committing, check wait times for the ride.

From Westminster/Parliament, I'd head up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square. After taking in the history there, I'd head northwest to Piccadilly Circus (tube), then east to Leicester Square (tube), simply because they are there, or save them for a night time experience. About a block from Trafalgar Square - at 1 Cockspur Rd. - is the Texas Embassy Cantina. Great place to take a break for some Texas style nachos and margaritas. Then on up Haymarket to Piccadilly.

Continuing next on my excursion is back to the river to head east for a long stroll (or take the tube) to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London (Tower Hill on the tube). The bridge tour is interesting in its feat of engineering. The Tower itself as a mark of history.

If there's much time left in the day, I'd just let down and head up to Oxford Circus (tube) for a westerly stroll along Oxford St. for a bit of souvenir shopping at some outstanding stores. Or alternately, head up Baker St. towards The Regent's Park. It's a beautiful park where I've enjoyed early a.m. strolls. At about a 9 o'clock position of the park - west side - you can see the Islamic Cultural Centre and The London Central Mosque, on Park St.

You can view the above adventure by following the routes on a google map.

Plus, whatever previous posts have suggested.

My adventure tends to travel counter-clockwise, my usual traveling/shopping direction as for me it pushes the time backwards resulting in a sense of more time.

Good luck, travel safe, enjoy the day

Last edited by Willsson; 03-24-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
I have to confess I did laugh when I read this 'No sessions on Saturday (I think), but worth a tour if they have them.'

Sessions on Saturday. I have a close friend who works in the House Of Commons and I can assure you that for a large chunk of the year you'd be lucky if they showed up during the week.

Not sure how it works in the Philly burbs but that's how it works here. And don't get me started on the House Of Lords.
Ha ha! Yeah, I guess if you were to come here to visit the US Capitol, the Congress/Senate usually don't hold sessions on the weekends. Just every once in a great while (and they make a huge deal about it) to push a bill through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London