Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 9,803 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to the LR area from Syracuse, NY in the next few months. We have 3 kids (11, 10, 2), so are looking for an area with strong schools. I am also a bit nervous about moving to what I am told is a highly religious area, as we are not. Can anybody recommend an area that has good schools and might be more tolerant of a nonreligious family of Yankees??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,413,737 times
"Highly religious", I think, is a misperseption. They may invite you to their church but just say no and that will be the end of it. Schools - there will be as many points of view as there are people who respond. Pulaski County School District is having some serious internal political problems, but I don't know about their quality of teaching the kids. Little Rock School District has many good schools. There are several quality private schools.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,189,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpellegrino View Post
might be more tolerant of a nonreligious family of Yankees??
I think in most areas of life, including relocation, you get back what you put into an experience. As you read the posts in this forum, you'll see lots of examples of people moving into an area, then promptly setting out to change their new hometown into what they left behind. Or they move in with preconceived notions about what their neighbors will be like. This tends to taint the entire process.

Mind you, I'm a "Yankee" myself, born and raised in Los Angeles. But I have family in NW Arkansas, and can personally attest to the veracity of these stories in the forum. Don't fall for the stereotypes of the South, please. Within the Arkansas branch of my own family, we have a "typical" Southern Magnolia Scarlett O'Hara (devoted to all things Southern Living), a psychologist, a real life member of the Hatfield/McCoy feuding families (he wears overalls most of the time), a very wealthy banker and business owner, a young dairy farmer, a graphic artist who loves headbanger music, and several current and former employees of Walmart corporate. You really can't generalize about people - even in Arkansas!

If you're friendly and don't shove your opinions on people, you'll do just fine. Just so you know, it's almost an automatic question in the area - "Where do you go to church?" Please don't take it personally. It has nothing to do with you, it's like cocktail party conversation that wanders into "what do you do/what does your husband do?" Just another way to feel people out. Smile, be friendly, look people in the eye, and be a good neighbor. You and your family will be just fine. It's a gorgeous part of the country!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,987,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpellegrino View Post
My family and I will be relocating to the LR area from Syracuse, NY in the next few months. We have 3 kids (11, 10, 2), so are looking for an area with strong schools. I am also a bit nervous about moving to what I am told is a highly religious area, as we are not. Can anybody recommend an area that has good schools and might be more tolerant of a nonreligious family of Yankees??
If you have the means, Pulaski academy is very good private school. As far as Religion, when I lived in LR, I don't think I was ever asked what church that I attended. I had Jewish, Mormon, Christian and Athiest friends. It really is not that big of a deal in Little Rock. If you live in West Little Rock, maybe a little more of an issue, but I was not friends with anyone that lived there.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I think in most areas of life, including relocation, you get back what you put into an experience. As you read the posts in this forum, you'll see lots of examples of people moving into an area, then promptly setting out to change their new hometown into what they left behind. Or they move in with preconceived notions about what their neighbors will be like. This tends to taint the entire process.

Mind you, I'm a "Yankee" myself, born and raised in Los Angeles. But I have family in NW Arkansas, and can personally attest to the veracity of these stories in the forum. Don't fall for the stereotypes of the South, please. Within the Arkansas branch of my own family, we have a "typical" Southern Magnolia Scarlett O'Hara (devoted to all things Southern Living), a psychologist, a real life member of the Hatfield/McCoy feuding families (he wears overalls most of the time), a very wealthy banker and business owner, a young dairy farmer, a graphic artist who loves headbanger music, and several current and former employees of Walmart corporate. You really can't generalize about people - even in Arkansas!

If you're friendly and don't shove your opinions on people, you'll do just fine. Just so you know, it's almost an automatic question in the area - "Where do you go to church?" Please don't take it personally. It has nothing to do with you, it's like cocktail party conversation that wanders into "what do you do/what does your husband do?" Just another way to feel people out. Smile, be friendly, look people in the eye, and be a good neighbor. You and your family will be just fine. It's a gorgeous part of the country!
A BIG 10-4

Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If you have the means, Pulaski academy is very good private school. As far as Religion, when I lived in LR, I don't think I was ever asked what church that I attended. I had Jewish, Mormon, Christian and Athiest friends. It really is not that big of a deal in Little Rock. If you live in West Little Rock, maybe a little more of an issue, but I was not friends with anyone that lived there.

Good luck.
Our granddaughter went to PA K-12 and got a full ride at Hendrix College. You can't get much better than that!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,803 times
You must be very proud!!! Good for her!!!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 PM

19 posts, read 31,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
we have a "typical" Southern Magnolia Scarlett O'Hara (devoted to all things Southern Living), a psychologist, a real life member of the Hatfield/McCoy feuding families (he wears overalls most of the time), a very wealthy banker and business owner, a young dairy farmer, a graphic artist who loves headbanger music, and several current and former employees of Walmart corporate.

we have this in the Laundromat of my current apt in SF :P

Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,189,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHole View Post
we have this in the Laundromat of my current apt in SF :P
LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area