Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 AM

92 posts, read 154,492 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will probably be moving to Lexington from Northern Virginia sometime this winter. I am looking at homes in the $300-400K range.

I notice the 40509 area code (near I75/Man of War) has a lot of nice looking homes in that price range.

Anyone got any feedback about that area?

Or can recommend an other area with homes in that price range?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:50 AM

Quick add. It is just my wife and I so schools are not much of a concern for us.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
You can have your choice of a number of areas with that budget. What sort of neighborhoods and house do you prefer? Do you want a new house, or a well-kept older house? Is the size of the lot a concern? Do you want to live in a quiet area, or do you have no objection to being on a busy street? While you and your wife may not have children in school, a house in a good school district will see its value enhanced.

Do you want to be close enough to walk to neighborhood shopping (grocery, drugstore, etc.)? What about churches? Parks? Do you prefer a well-established neighborhood with fewer new residents, or would you rather be where most are also newcomers?

Tell us more about your preferences, and we'll be able to make better suggestions.

Oh, yes, welcome to Lexington!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You can have your choice of a number of areas with that budget. What sort of neighborhoods and house do you prefer? Do you want a new house, or a well-kept older house? Is the size of the lot a concern? Do you want to live in a quiet area, or do you have no objection to being on a busy street? While you and your wife may not have children in school, a house in a good school district will see its value enhanced.

Do you want to be close enough to walk to neighborhood shopping (grocery, drugstore, etc.)? What about churches? Parks? Do you prefer a well-established neighborhood with fewer new residents, or would you rather be where most are also newcomers?

Tell us more about your preferences, and we'll be able to make better suggestions.

Oh, yes, welcome to Lexington!
- Prefer a house built in the last 20 years
- As for location, I will be working out of one of the VA medical centers in town..but anywhere in town will be a reasonable commute
- Prefer to be close to the interstate since my job will require a lot of travel...to Louisville and other parts of the state
- Prefer one level or a house with the master on the first floor
- Lot size of .25 acre or bigger where we can put a fence. We have a doberman that needs some room to run
- We do like parks...good for walking dogs......especially dog parks
- Walking to neighborhood shopping is not a big deal
- We don't have a preference between well-established vice a lot of new residents

Would like to be somewhere the value will go up or at least hold steady. I only have about 10 more years to work then we will probably be selling and moving to Florida.

Thank you.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:20 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_George View Post
- Prefer a house built in the last 20 years
- As for location, I will be working out of one of the VA medical centers in town..but anywhere in town will be a reasonable commute
- Prefer to be close to the interstate since my job will require a lot of travel...to Louisville and other parts of the state
- Prefer one level or a house with the master on the first floor
- Lot size of .25 acre or bigger where we can put a fence. We have a doberman that needs some room to run
- We do like parks...good for walking dogs......especially dog parks
- Walking to neighborhood shopping is not a big deal
- We don't have a preference between well-established vice a lot of new residents

Would like to be somewhere the value will go up or at least hold steady. I only have about 10 more years to work then we will probably be selling and moving to Florida.

Thank you.
Woodford County. Near Versailles to be close to Louisville. I would personally also consider living in Louisville, or at least between Lexington and Louisville, if the majority of your work will be in Louisville. Shelbyville or Simpsonville would certainly be an ideal option for that...each about 45 mins or less to each city's downtown.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Woodford County. Near Versailles to be close to Louisville. I would personally also consider living in Louisville, or at least between Lexington and Louisville, if the majority of your work will be in Louisville. Shelbyville or Simpsonville would certainly be an ideal option for that...each about 45 mins or less to each city's downtown.
Thank you for the info. I hadn't considered Shelbyville or Simpsonville, but I had considered Frankfort or Georgetown.

I am gong to be part of a 2-person team with the other person based in Louisville...but I will probably be traveling around 50% of the time.

Let me add, I grew up in Paris and went to school at EKY for a few years until I joined the Air Force. I left the area in 1985 and have only been back for quick visits. My preference is to stay around Lexington so I can see my family on a regular basis.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:08 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_George View Post
Thank you for the info. I hadn't considered Shelbyville or Simpsonville, but I had considered Frankfort or Georgetown.

I am gong to be part of a 2-person team with the other person based in Louisville...but I will probably be traveling around 50% of the time.

Let me add, I grew up in Paris and went to school at EKY for a few years until I joined the Air Force. I left the area in 1985 and have only been back for quick visits. My preference is to stay around Lexington so I can see my family on a regular basis.
If that is the case, Frankfort might be the best bet. But I would strongly consider Shelbyville. Very nice, growing town and good schools. There is a wonderful nearby outlet mall, so the county has every place you'd ever want for shopping, a movie theater, and good restaurants. It is 40 mins to dt Louisville or dt Lexington, so it is equidistant, although it is more of a Louisville suburb. It is VERY close to Paris. Shelbyville is actually so convenient that it is 20 mins to the east end of Louisville and about 25 mins to the west side of Lexington/Versailles. The horse country in Shelby County is just as pretty as that in Woodford at a fraction of the price.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
In response to Peter's above post: Shelbyville is a very pleasant and attractive town, but I would not call it "close to Paris" as Paris is about seventeen miles northeast of Lexington and thirty four miles from Frankfort. Frankfort is about twenty miles east of Shelbyville.

Do the math: Shelbyville and Paris are over fifty miles apart, as are Shelbyville and Lexington. You cannot reach Lexington or Paris from Shelbyville in only 25 minutes unless you're driving 100 miles an hour, which is hardly likely.

At least, I hope not!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
City - Data's info on the 40509 Zip Code

https://www.city-data.com/zips/40509.html
Greenbrier is a great neighborhood in this zip code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQvAIXVqr60

Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Andover Forest is also in this zip code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX17uxh3p-0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area